KodiTips Forums

Kodi Shuts Down After Viewing One Episode

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
Kodi Shuts Down After Viewing One Episode
« on: November 25, 2017, 04:19:50 pm »
Device: PC with LinuxMint distro running Kodi 17.6 with URLResolver version: 4.0.12.  16GB RAM.  Hardwire connection.
Problem: Kodi will aways shut down when I try to view a 2nd episode of a TV drama.  The first episode views fine.  But when I go to the 2nd, Kodi dies.  This happened also with Kodi 17.5, but not 17.4 and earlier.
I think this may be a compatibility issue between Linux and Kodi 17.x.  Since I don't understand the logs, I'm at a loss.  I get the following: ERROR: metahandler: Error connecting to TMDB: HTTP Error 401: Unauthorized,  ERROR: CCurlFile::Stat - Failed: SSL connect error(35) for http://thetvdb.com/banners/episodes/248742/4099507.jpg,  There are several earlier CCurlFile errors.
Suggestions

K4Me

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Kodi Shuts Down After Viewing One Episode
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 04:54:09 pm »
Have you tried using a different app to source the particular show?

broknsymetry

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 05:13:36 pm »
Not sure if this will help, but have you created TMDB and TVDB api keys and entered them into both Covenant and Metahandler?  Also, you may wish to set logging debug mode, edit out any personally identifiable info, upload to pastebin and post the link here for others to examine.

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 04:08:33 pm »
Have you tried using a different app to source the particular show?

Yes, I did with success.  I had an older version of Linux Mint w/ Kodi 17.3 on my 2nd drive.  I experimented and I did not have crashes.  Even after updating Kodi to 17.6, no crashes. 
Conclusion: The latest Linux Mint is not good.  I will continue to experiment with other Linux distros to see if any can load Kodi and not crash trying to show a 2nd episode of a TV drama. 
Many thanks for your suggestion.

Update @ 10pm:  Installed Linux Lite OS, Kodi 7.6, and Exodus on my PC.  Still crashes after a single episode, but the crashlog is much smaller.  Get metahandler, TMDB, GetDirectory, DoWork errors.  No CCurlFile errors.  Maybe I'll try Ubuntu since Kodi 7.6 was made for Ubuntu Linux.  Maybe the extra stuff Mint and Lite have added to Ubuntu is hurting Kodi.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:20:52 am by pops »

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 04:14:23 pm »
Not sure if this will help, but have you created TMDB and TVDB api keys and entered them into both Covenant and Metahandler?  Also, you may wish to set logging debug mode, edit out any personally identifiable info, upload to pastebin and post the link here for others to examine.

I took a quick look at what TMDB and TVDB are.  Interesting.  Also I did a quick look at CCurlFile, a more difficult subject.  BTW I'm using Exodus, not Covenant.  I did find that my current Linux Mint OS may be the issue.  I'll try other Linux distros to see if any are more compatible with Kodi.  Thanks for you suggestion.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:15:58 pm by pops »

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 12:14:42 pm »
Update: I've installed an earlier version of Linux Mint on my PC.  It has an earlier kernel and now Kodi does not crash.