KodiTips Forums

Requesting error reporting tool on Covenant

PeterPan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Requesting error reporting tool on Covenant
« on: December 25, 2017, 09:58:55 pm »
Many times I've seen examples of content offered by "providers" ( both TV shows and movies) which turns out to be useless. I've included some examples below, but my real issue as that these errors hurt the providers credibility and make Covenant a less reliable tool. It seems to me that if "Report Problem" was one of the "right click" options after selecting a provider, and the data could be sent to a database somewhere, it could avoid a lot of wasted time planing on watching a show, AND ultimately serve as a way providers could crack down on people offering bogus uploads. All that would be needed was a simple "checkbox" listing, with items like the below. The question is, how could I even make this issue and solution proposal available to the Covenant authors? I'm not on any "git hub" or anything like that. Is there a from somewhere online for such requests?

Examples of things that should be reportable include...

1) Wrong Episode

Example: look for any episode of the latest season of "Once Upon a Time" or "Star Trec Discovery", select any episode from a 720P provider, what you always get instead is episode #1. Quite often the problem is identical across multiple providers, which means the provider is being duped by someone giving them bogus uploads.

2) Wrong Movie:

Example: Find the recent movie "Lady Bird". Virtually every provider has the history of Charlie Parker substituted. Charlie parker was a jazz sax player. The error is reasonable since he was called "Bird" by everyone. But its still wrong, and the provider will never know of the error.

3) Content Unreachable

This could be anything causing the connection to the provider to always fail when that particular video or item is accessed.

4) Impossible Authorization.

OK, we've all gotten used to having to point a web browser at "openload" or vidup.me/pair, or other things like that to view our movie. Its the providers way of ensuring a revenue stream by making us look at a couple of ads. But when the authorization page instructions is written in mandorin or some other non English language (And you are using an English version of Kodi and Covenant), this becomes pretty much impossible to authorize, and I'm sure the Covenant authors would prefer to remove such providers from their (and our) database.

5) Bogus quality stated

We've all seen it. Content is listed in an HD category (like 720P, or 1080p) and ends up being little more than a poorly focused camera recording setup in front of someone's TV, not even leveled, not even in a quiet room, and monaural audio.

In all these cases, I would think both the Covenant authors AND the providers would like to know about these problems, because 9 out of 10 times they are being caused by people uploading junk to these providers. I don't know if people get any kind of monetary or other credit for uploading content to the providers, but I'll bet the providers would be happy to offer SOME compensation with useful reports listing all the content they THINK they have to offer, which they don't!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:04:29 pm by PeterPan »

Leviathan

• +6/-3
  • Mysterious
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting error reporting tool on Covenant
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 11:04:55 pm »

You don't seem to understand the nature of these plugins, they do not own, host, control, have any power over any of the links it retrieves, they simply scrap a website code for links, put them in a collection then kodi tries to play that url that supposedly contains the video/audio.

This also means they cannot check if the labeled quality is correct or the file is exactly what it was renamed to, or if the language is correct, it's a scraper, not a personal assistant. Adding a load of bloat to even try and circumvent ant of these issues would make these plugins unusable, even worse then they are now. If you don't want to authorize streams, get a debrid account.

If you have any content coming in a different language, just untick that provider in the resolver settings.

flhthemi

• +15/-2
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 09:14:58 am »
You wasted your time writing all that out. Covenant is no longer being updated/supported because the developer quit.

PeterPan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 12:56:24 pm »
@ Leviathan ---  I kind of understood that, but I was discussing an addition that would allow us human users to report our findings, and view any such reports of others, via a publicly accessible database and some convenience display and category coding.

@ flhthemi --- Oh geeze... its happened again. Well this probably isn't the place to ask non Kodi related questions, but as Leviathan pointed out, the providers in Covenant are all simply being scraped for content, and those providers will probably never be shut down, or if anything will simply move from place to place. Is there a way, within Covenant, I could see the full URLs of provider sites? I wouldn't mind making my own list and checking some of them directly.

My Kodi/Colosus is on a PC connected to my TV, so its not too big a deal to just browse to various sites and download/watch content directly. The problem seems to be finding the REAL providers. You can't just go to Google, for example, and type in "putlocker", because if you do you'll not only find tons of phony (or worse, SCAM) links, but many of the real links have been hidden "by request" from various companies like Netflix complaining. Granted google still provides links to listings of such removed content, but copying the known working ones out of Covenant would be a better start point I think?

broknsymetry

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 07:51:09 pm »
Is there a way, within Covenant, I could see the full URLs of provider sites? I wouldn't mind making my own list and checking some of them directly.

Not directly, but you can view/edit the "sources" modules in the script.module.covenant addon.  For instance, putlocker.py contains the line

Code: [Select]
self.base_link = 'https://cartoonhd.in'
this is the url that is queried to see if it lists the show/movie via the "source" class method:

Code: [Select]
def searchShow(self, title, season, episode, aliases, headers):
        try:
            for alias in aliases:
                url = '%s/show/%s/season/%01d/episode/%01d' % (self.base_link, cleantitle.geturl(alias['title']), int(season), int(episode))
                url = client.request(url, headers=headers,output='geturl', timeout='10')
                if not url == None and url != self.base_link: break
            return url
        except:
            return

which returns (at least in my version of Covenant) for example something like "https://cartoonhd.in/show/lost/season/6/episode/16" as the url to test for "Lost S06E16".  If you try it as above you will find that it no longer works and the ".in" should be changed to ".zone".  Other additional changes to the module need to be performed to have the module work correctly.  This is the greatest challenge for the devs -  to keep up with all the changes that the listers do.  This is also why the number of reported sources decreases over time without proper maintenance of the sources modules.  Other modules are similar, many are more complex.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:54:59 pm by broknsymetry »

TonyH

• +40/-3
  • You have a 50-50 chance if you follow my advice 😂
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 08:05:07 pm »
Trying to monitor website performance through scrapers is pointless! Sites change links all the time and that is exactly the reason scrapers are made. One day putlocker will have an openload link to a movie and the next day that link may die. Putlocker will then list a different openload link for the same movie. Depending on when you actually use the scraper to scrape the site, you will not even know that the link has changed.

armdass1

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 08:58:16 am »