KodiTips Forums

How to workaround Failed to load dependacies issue.

Leviathan

• +6/-3
  • Mysterious
    • View Profile
How to workaround Failed to load dependacies issue.
« on: June 28, 2017, 11:37:38 am »
A lot of people seem to be getting the dreaded dependacy missing error in kodi while trying to install a plugin, specially in the last couple of weeks due to repositories moving and closing.

The way kodi works with plugins is usually with XML files detailing information and what the plugin does and what it needs to function. there will be a changelog text file and perhaps a resource folder and other text files. The main plugin is usually a .PY phython language file and usually has one to image files accompanying it for an icon and some other art. The last part is usually a file called addon.xml, this is an important file as it lists the required dependacy that the plugin needs or it will NOT install. Lets take exodus's addon.xml file for example and learn why a lot are having issues installing it.

So if you open addon.xml is a text editor or browser you should see at the start these lines..

Code: [Select]
<addon id="plugin.video.exodus" version="3.1.18" name="Exodus" provider-name="Exodus">
<requires>
<import addon="xbmc.python" version="2.19.0"/>
<import addon="repository.exodus" version="1.0.0"/>
<import addon="script.exodus.artwork" version="1.0.4"/>
<import addon="script.exodus.metadata" version="1.0.0"/>
<import addon="script.module.urlresolver" version="3.0.0"/>
<import addon="script.module.metahandler" version="1.0.0"/>
</requires>

The requires node in the XML shows you what exodus needs to function/install.

These separate files are usually stored in the same server as the Repository and downloaded by kodi as a normal requirements function of the media centre.

If these files are not also on the server, which 90% of the time, they're not, then just having the exodus plugin and repo on a 3rd party repo, will not let you install it.

Some required files may already be installed on your kodi or it may require a main line plugin like XBMC.python that will already be present on your kodi.

So to install exodus with no issues whatsoever you will need the following files installed first.

- xbmc.python - version 2.19.0 and above
- repository.exodus.zip - version 1.0.0 and above
- script.exodus.artwork.zip - version 1.0.4 and above
- script.exodus.metadata.zip - version 1.0.0 and above
- script.module.urlresolver.zip - version 3.0.0 and above
- script.module.metahandler - version 1.0.0 and above

Now a proper Repository would have all these files mapped by XML and you should always have a clean install but at the moment people are just grabbing one file and thinking they've solved the issue of getting exodus installed, this is clearly not the case.

The best case scenario is for you to google search for a download of the missing files and upload them to a private server or a decent file host and install them by zip yourself, depending on device.

Do not depend on 3rd party repos.

Once you learn how to detect and solve these issues you will become quite efficient at it.

hatrix

• +27/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
Re: How to workaround Failed to load dependacies issue.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 12:03:25 pm »
this is a great post. i've done this a few times and im sure its not something your average user would know to do.

TonyH

• +39/-3
  • You have a 50-50 chance if you follow my advice 😂
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 01:45:29 pm »
Great info!
I am not familiar with python, but I have noticed a couple things.
When I had trouble installing istream there was a dependency error and it was f4m error. The same thing is happening with duckpool. I can see that f4m is installed, I can see that it is enabled, I can update it (yes I have the latest version) but there is still an error. When I look at the logs I  can see it looking for f4m in multiple locations, i.e. (Folders within kodi, some different url's) and then quits when it is not found. I'm trying to install on a amazon fire tv, so android version of krypton 17.3.
As I said above, I don't know python, but it seems to me that somewhere in the script it says, if f4m is not located and installed from these locations, then install of the addon fails. Which leads me to think that it's not looking in the rite location on my setup.
Just my thoughts on the matter and I'm probably wrong because I'm just guessing. Going to try and install on my windows 10 tonight, but I'm still having problems with kodi on windows after the developers update so I will see how that goes
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:47:08 pm by TonyH »

Leviathan

• +6/-3
  • Mysterious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 01:54:47 pm »
Great info!
I am not familiar with python, but I have noticed a couple things.
When I had trouble installing istream there was a dependency error and it was f4m error. The same thing is happening with duckpool. I can see that f4m is installed, I can see that it is enabled, I can update it (yes I have the latest version) but there is still an error. When I look at the logs I  can see it looking for f4m in multiple locations, i.e. (Folders within kodi, some different url's) and then quits when it is not found. I'm trying to install on a amazon fire tv, so android version of krypton 17.3.
As I said above, I don't know python, but it seems to me that somewhere in the script it says, if f4m is not located and installed from these locations, then install of the addon fails. Which leads me to think that it's not looking in the rite location on my setup.
Just my thoughts on the matter and I'm probably wrong because I'm just guessing. Going to try and install on my windows 10 tonight, but I'm still having problems with kodi on windows after the developers update so I will see how that goes

This is likely one of the plugins or dependacy or even iStream extension is calling a different location or version then the other.

iStream is a mess when it comes to code, it's been patched together by sticks and sellotape the last 3 kodi builds and has major issues when a repo that has held it together just vanishes.

I would imagine mucky will fix it within time but he's just got hold of it and will take more than a day to fix iStream.

TonyH

• +39/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 01:56:52 pm »
👍🏼

TonyH

• +39/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 02:25:55 pm »
Why don't these addons check kodi for needed dependencies before trying to install the needed version?
Do the locations really change per kodi updates?

Leviathan

• +6/-3
  • Mysterious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 02:29:51 pm »
Why don't these addons check kodi for needed dependencies before trying to install the needed version?
Do the locations really change per kodi updates?

Kodi can only do what the plugin tells it what to do, in these instances, the plugins are telling kodi to go look for needed files that aren't there, hence the dependacy errors popping as kodi tells you, the users this plugin is broken.

TonyH

• +39/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 05:26:35 pm »
It's all great info, but does not really explain why some people have no install issues while others do, there is more to the story here...

hatrix

• +27/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 06:22:07 pm »
Well it's hard to explain each individual users issues since the user could have any number of broken/bad repos or addons installed on any type of build.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 06:28:23 pm »
Nice post Leviathan... great answer to help put people on the right path to solving some of their own problems...

Leviathan

• +6/-3
  • Mysterious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 07:03:38 pm »
It's all great info, but does not really explain why some people have no install issues while others do, there is more to the story here...

simple answer...they installed another plugin that has some of if not all the same required files and their repo was correctly set up and they got them without issue.

example would be urlresolver, it's used by many different plugins.

Montezuma

• +2/-1
  • Team Made in Canada - MiC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 07:33:29 pm »
And now you know why Devs always want the log files.  Every setup is different so it's the only way to really troubleshoot issues efficiently.  Great topic btw.