So maby they should stop calling TVA and Shani! ;D

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
Re: Dish Network Fined
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 01:49:31 pm »
nothing like expediancy...

that suit started around the time the sat scene went down... only took about 8 years... Dish managed to drag that one out for awhile... their litagation dept are kings at draging things out.. at least its nice to see they finally lost one after all these years...

D@Cod3r

• +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 06:46:23 pm »
It's funny how the big guy can think they can get around the law to justify what they do is legal practice. What goes around comes around Dish Network. 😜😝🤑

Mobboro

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 02:13:29 am »
God uses exodus too perhaps?

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 04:13:10 pm »
This was an interesting read, but I'm not sure what this has to do with Kodi Tips.

sailsluft

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 03:14:45 pm »
DISH has made its founder a billionaire. DISH is a public company. The founder's company which holds the majority of DISH voting stock is private which shelters the skullduggery of the founder. Dish's "on demand" service requires Wi-Fi or direct RJ45 connection. It makes no sense to be a Dish subscriber because if you have Wi-Fi you can stream. Consequently, DISH is losing customers en masse. Its response was to set up aggressive telemarketing and file this lawsuit against "TV Add-ons." Like a spoiled child, the Founder seeks to terrorize the streaming community. The below quote tells one succinctly how the Federal Judge characterizes DISH's conduct.

In explaining the $280 million civil penalty, the Court ruled that “the injury to consumers, the disregard for the law, and the steadfast refusal to accept responsibility require a significant and substantial monetary award.” The Court expressed particular concern about the company’s attitude toward people who complained about unwanted calls: “Dish’s denial of responsibility and lack of regard for consumers are deeply disturbing and support the inference that it is reasonably likely that Dish will allow future illegal calls absent government pressure.”
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:25:58 pm by sailsluft »

tonyquart

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 03:03:18 am »
This was an interesting read, but I'm not sure what this has to do with Kodi Tips.

Yeah, you're right, but I think it's still interesting topic to be discussed here. I personally have dealt with sooo many telemarketers. Last week alone, I might have received 10 calls from them. I wonder if everyone has same problem, too. I read an article at http://www.whycall.me/news/my-4500-payday-from-a-telemarketer/ about someone who sued a company because of its multiple calls. Do you guys know someone who has done that? Could we sue them (and win)?

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 05:25:56 pm »
Whats going on with TVA and Zem pertains to that and nothing really to do with overzealous marketing tactics...

Satellite industry was the same as there were a lot of gray areas for many years with loose rules but once the FTA market opened up and kinda threw it there faces everything changed... Especially here in Canada where we got some really weird and tight controls via the CRTC and CanCon requarding media not originating here in Canada... we have content rules and anything outside of them is subject to legal action... Satellite took a few years to change and we went from being the Num#1 source for all Nagravision and DirectTV hacks (because of the gray market rulings) to now you can't even open or explore a smart card wafer even for research and learning purposes without some serious legal ramifications...

And Why?... All because in the mid 2000's Dish/ExpressVU formed a partnership with Nagra and fought extremely hard to have the current repressive laws and bulley tactics put in place...

Digital Rights around the world are changing now as well and its only a matter of time before we see similar control whether we like it or even think its fair... These companies have deep pockets and a battery of lawyers on retainer just looking for someone to hassle and anyone thinking things aren't going to change is both naive and definately not paying attention to whats going on...

We all know what is Legal and Not Legal and the Fact that The Kodi group itself has had to distance itself when it comes to Official and Unofficial Plugins and Addons to protect Kodi itself should be enough for anyone to see which end is up... Things are no longer in the realm of what some of think is fair or not fair as slowing the big guns are starting to take aim on our fun and they have enough money and power to influence the laws to suit what they want because basically everytime someone releases something thats allowing protected materials here in North America they are giving the big guys the basic legal opening's to start deeper changes...

For years the Sat scene was populated with ney-sayers blindly believing the law would never allow the changes but in the end look at the scene now... Card sharing is all thats publicly working as ALL of the real card hacks have had to stay small, hidden and away from the greedy dealers that would over-expose the hack just to make a buck...

Supposedly Zem was caught with their pants down using a Dish source and TVA was involved at least as distributor of a product Dish knew they could litigate against... This much is pretty much a given or Dish would not have started moving forward and gained the court order to at least uncover the real identities of those involved..

Anyways all anyone can do is wait and see what transpires as things unfold and i seriously doubt anyones gonna bother the enduser from a legal point at this time but anyone releasing stuff needs to put some thought into things...

I was once naive enough to believe releasing free tv to the public was a fun hobby and a lot of people ran on hardware and software i had a major hand in developing only to have greedy dealers take advantage which ultimately brought the whole scene down wrecking our fun... Ive always been a "see if you can hack it " type of person as its about learning and not money but this time around with the Android Box scene i am going about things differently but already i feel bad for the great coders is see releasing good things while building a sense of community only to have the money hungry manufactures and dealers start to take advantage and force the change thats inevitably going to come.. personally i think smaller private sites like this are a good idea as sites like TVA and SuperRepo are more then likely going to be huge targets in the future because of they way they work... its one thing to just host a bunch of zipped up plugins that people need to learn to manually install but having all your plugins taking to main servers for everything is way to attractive to big guys once the get a foothold... 

Kodi is a enduser's play toy and people should at least make enough of a effort to learn some rudimentary things like manually installing plugins without some lame installer maintainance tool... All this spoon feeding done by TVA and SuperRepo only really serves the Manufactures and Dealers who want to sell the hardware with little to no investment in software as they pass that off to others...

Sorry if i sound critical of TVA and Super Repo and i am sure some will take exception to what i am saying but I am a great believer in common sense and have seen for quite a while how big a target both of them have become while trying to compete for status and revenue as the "best"... how long did people expect things to last with all the promises of free tv before drawing the attention of the providers (not just them but all the dealers for years have over-stated freetv in their ads)? and how many legit plug ins are on them that aren't already on Kodi's official servers?
Lets not be naive as most of use know why these sites exist and what they serve... i only hope that when push comes to shove the owners of both those sites find a way to protect the actual coders that gave them the ability to become the Kings of the hill, i truly do...

Anyways hopefully some of what i have said will lead to some real discussions because i think the good times for some things has now peaked and is about to start its slide down... and for anyone i have offended i'll say my apologies up front...