KodiTips Forums

Kodi on a PC running a Linux OS

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
Kodi on a PC running a Linux OS
« on: June 29, 2017, 11:53:59 am »
Kodi works on my PC running a Linux OS.  I've installed and used Kodi on 2 distributions, LinuxLite and LinuxMint.  Kodi ran relatively well on both.  But the upgrade from Kodi 16 to 17 has been eventful.  Zen, now named Elysium, has been a major problem.  While Zen worked beautifully in Kodi 16, it never worked properly in 17.  In fact it crashed my system several times.  I had to reinstall my OS twice.  I will continue to test Elysium, but not on my main system.  I'll set up a separate partition on a separate drive and install a Linux distribution and Kodi 17 and test Elysium.  Love Linux because it is free, has all kinds of distros to choose from, more secure than Windoz yet easier to install and work with, etc., etc., etc.  Recommend Elysium developers test Elysium on a PC running Linux.

gwilly7

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Kodi on a PC running a Linux OS
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 02:44:17 pm »
Kodi works on my PC running a Linux OS.  I've installed and used Kodi on 2 distributions, LinuxLite and LinuxMint.  Kodi ran relatively well on both.  But the upgrade from Kodi 16 to 17 has been eventful.  Zen, now named Elysium, has been a major problem.  While Zen worked beautifully in Kodi 16, it never worked properly in 17.  In fact it crashed my system several times.  I had to reinstall my OS twice.  I will continue to test Elysium, but not on my main system.  I'll set up a separate partition on a separate drive and install a Linux distribution and Kodi 17 and test Elysium.  Love Linux because it is free, has all kinds of distros to choose from, more secure than Windoz yet easier to install and work with, etc., etc., etc.  Recommend Elysium developers test Elysium on a PC running Linux.

I use libreelec and it runs awesome for me.  I do not use elysium but will give it a try and see how it goes.  I highly recommend Libreelec if you have not use it.  www.libreelec.tv

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 06:02:53 pm »

I use libreelec and it runs awesome for me.  I do not use elysium but will give it a try and see how it goes.  I highly recommend Libreelec if you have not use it.  www.libreelec.tv

Libreelec, like Openelec, is too limited for me.  My PC has other duties besides providing entertainment.  I also have office, graphics, Internet, and multimedia programs which I use daily.  Libreelec is severely limited to entertainment only, although I've heard it does that quite well.  Good luck with Elysium.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 10:56:35 am »
Sometimes Kodi on linux can be bothersome when moving up in Kodi versions... 16 to 17 represented a fair amount of changes some of which may not be represented with in the Kernel of the linux distribution your running on your PC...

OpenELEC, LibreElec or any of those spin-offs specifically have their Kernels tailored for the hardware on the cheap box which is why they generally work pretty good and one of the main areas under constant developement trying to bring better performance to that hardware platform...

Most outta the box full versions of Linux are running Kernels pre-built by the distribution and those Kernels are built with everything including the kitchen sink which can cause issues with some things at times...

I'm a Linux guy from its beginning so i am used to compiling and have Kodi versions from 16 to 18 working fine as i develope and will that the jump in Kodi from Jarvis to Kypton has lead to a few issues here and there that usually can be fixed with some tinkering... things like Plug-ins not working after the jump generally are caused by the Plug-ins author or maintainer not making the appropriate api changes as Kodi's core support gets altered moving forward in alot of cases...

Linux is most definately the best way to run a program like Kodi whiich is constantly evolving and providing new and better ways to view media because of its ability to be freely coded and changed but with that comes a certain learning curve to keep on top of things...

Best place to start would probably be buy starting to go thru the various log files on the Linux box and look for hints to whats causing the issues as they occur and then try to tackle things from there...

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 05:31:21 pm »
Sometimes Kodi on linux can be bothersome when moving up in Kodi versions... 16 to 17 represented a fair amount of changes some of which may not be represented with in the Kernel of the linux distribution your running on your PC...

OpenELEC, LibreElec or any of those spin-offs specifically have their Kernels tailored for the hardware on the cheap box which is why they generally work pretty good and one of the main areas under constant developement trying to bring better performance to that hardware platform...

Most outta the box full versions of Linux are running Kernels pre-built by the distribution and those Kernels are built with everything including the kitchen sink which can cause issues with some things at times...

I'm a Linux guy from its beginning so i am used to compiling and have Kodi versions from 16 to 18 working fine as i develope and will that the jump in Kodi from Jarvis to Kypton has lead to a few issues here and there that usually can be fixed with some tinkering... things like Plug-ins not working after the jump generally are caused by the Plug-ins author or maintainer not making the appropriate api changes as Kodi's core support gets altered moving forward in alot of cases...

Linux is most definately the best way to run a program like Kodi whiich is constantly evolving and providing new and better ways to view media because of its ability to be freely coded and changed but with that comes a certain learning curve to keep on top of things...

Best place to start would probably be buy starting to go thru the various log files on the Linux box and look for hints to whats causing the issues as they occur and then try to tackle things from there...

Is there a Linux distro you would recommend?
I have been using computers since 1970.  Programming a tiny bit in COBAL and Fortran.  Worked in N America and Europe in a variety of occupations, librarian, computers, and education.  I have been using Linux since 2005.  I started with Suse, then Ubuntu Breezy, staying mostly with Ubuntu xfce.  I built this PC.  So I guess I have some computer literacy, but Kodi is new to me.   noduwindoznomo!
I read the Kodi log files, but they don't tell me much.  I don't find the reason for crashes.  Is there some on-line educational material on this matter?
I would hope Kodi developers would spend more time testing Kodi in Linux.  But Linux is a very small market for them, so probably they give Linux short shift.
I also believe that Linux allows someone at my level of knowledge to experiment with Kodi.  I plan to install various distros and test Kodi.  What do you think?  I need guidance.
Thank for your long and intelligent reply. 
Jim

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 09:55:11 pm »
i'm a old slackware guy which was kinda before any of the boxed versions came out ... i think of boxed versions somewhat in the vein of windows or mac os where everything that needs to make things talk are all taken care of when you install the basic system and what really makes them boxed after that is their updating systems which are basically designed to protect the integrity of the distribution your running... basically meaning they mostly all want to try and ensure your updates and addons are designed to work with your distro and version... nice idea but like windows alot of those systems have bloated up trying to make sure the kernel and support systems are built with as much support for all hardware they can squeeze in... normally it works fine but somethings like winblows somethings dont play so nice with each other causing random issues...

from where your at what i'd suggest you maybe take alook at as you may be able to kill a couple of stones within a learning curve would be to take alook at OpenElec or LibreELEC distributions to get a sense of how a linux kodi setup works on the hardware of a android box... learning to compile kodi and linux kernel via those projects would tend to help give you the developement skillset to apply back to a full blown pc...

both those arm developments of linux and kodi would help when it comes to trying to understanding what actual linux components are required for kodi and help with your diagnostic ability's when trying to find problems with a working system... compiling and building and the tools required are not all that much different other then your target your building for...

LibreElec is a fork of OpenElec but seems to have more product support and a more active developement group so it maybe the better choice... as well i ubuntu is what they compile their sources from and all the commands to ensure you've got them are posted as well which gives you a good starting point... learning from that point should be a transferable skillset when looking at your pc issues as well..

Thing to keep in mind with both those projects is that they both were aimed at a minimal linux distro specifically for kodi but that doesn't mean you cant carry them forward and add other linux requirements if you want to... some will be easily doable while others may take alot more work and effort... my own distro is structured for the exact hardware and kodi as a priority but as well ive added emulators to play the old nes and snes roms from kodi as well...

Android boxes make great kodi platform once you loose the Android and all the running process's it uses tracking and providing other info to google leaving less for kodi and seeing as kodi is constantly evolving its demands on resources grow as larger resolution and more complicated codecs are being employed streaming wise these days... Android is written to keep up with ITS demands not what the actual Appz do and besides its really a touch screen os designed for phones and tablets... ever wonder why so many android boxes have such crappy remotes... its partly because of what i just stated and had to originally have 3rd party coders create the original remote software...

anyways i digress... the true strength of linux has always been its ability to be streamlined for the specific hardware your running on which in the case of these android boxes makes the difference between a rock solid box with very few lockups and a box thats plagued with issues leaving a sour taste in the endusers mouth...

now that i yapped your ear off... i'll say this on my way out... i only suggest the OpenElec LibreElec talk as a method of killing 2birds at once and theres no reason you can't just take what i say and apply it strickly to full blown PC and Kodi either... it depends on what you want to do...

take care...

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 04:17:48 pm »
Many thanks for replying. 
It will take me some time to digest it all. 
I have trouble with sentences over 80 characters long. 
One wonders how I ever got 3 university degrees! 
But I do understand that the Linux kernel may be so cluttered that it stumbles over itself at times. 
I also know that the kernel is open source and that I can clean it. 
But I have never tried.
The clutter may be part of my issue. 
Do OpenElec and LibreELEC have leaner kernels? 
I would think so. 
Thanks again.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 10:37:34 pm »
lol... np...

In my day when linux originally came out you had to build it from pieces as there werent really any distro's out back then... Slackware was kinda the 1st collection of all the files required on a cd... before that you had to ftp all the individual parts... nowadays with alot of the bigger mainstream distributions they've kinda done what MS did with windblows and just kept adding support for more and more hardware while working on getting all that stuff to play nice with each other...

The part thats always made a Linux box runs circles around most other OS's is because of all those individually developed parts that make the overall OS up its easy to remove alot of the stuff not really required by the hardware your running on and then streamline the parts you are using... a lot of times being able to do that is what really makes a system rock solid and to perform well... doing that is really kinda why linux and kodi can be made to work extremely well if those are the main things you run... but it comes with a bit of a learning curve which at least these days theres lots of places to get help and learning info from...