KodiTips Forums

!!

Sign up for a free KodiTips forum account and discuss Kodi tips and tricks. Get help for your Kodi problems and join in the conversation today.

Want to operate these forums?

Admin

• +30/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
Want to operate these forums?
« on: January 27, 2018, 08:59:43 am »
Okay so I suck at this forums thing. There just isn't enough time in the day for me to put the focus I would like to put in.

So, I'm willing to hand over control to the forums. If you are interested, send me a PM with the following:

- A little bit about yourself
- Any experience owning, operating, or using forums before (vBulletin, Simple Machines, etc)
- Your ideas for the board to attract new visitors and discussion.

Willing to split advertising revenue. Being transparent with you guys, after costs were paid the forums made $158 last month. I believe we could grow 5x-10x and I will advertise the forums on our social media accounts. So this could be some good side change for someone.

Thanks everyone.

hatrix

• +34/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
Re: Want to operate these forums?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 02:59:38 pm »
Keep us posted on how the search goes. It's been pretty dead around here and I assume the huge amount of spam is a factor in that. I don't really have the time to  offer in fully running this but I'd always be willing to help with things or mod.

broknsymetry

• +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 06:27:50 pm »
First let me say that you do not suck at this.  We all greatly appreciate the work that you do.  I am not experienced enough to manage the site, but I do have lots of time on my hands and am willing to volunteer my service as a moderator or any other capacity you might wish.

RodgerB

• +31/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 07:44:03 pm »
I also would volunteer as a mod or as you wish. Cheers.

Admin

• +30/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 11:46:41 pm »
Thanks folks. Gonna take a day or two and assess all options. I am grateful for the offers of support

TonyH

• +41/-3
  • You have a 50-50 chance if you follow my advice 😂
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 07:58:30 pm »
Well, I went on vacation for two weeks and Iím sorry to see the forums getting ruined by bots. For the last three days I have spent 2 or more hours per day banning bots and deleting posts from them. Today there are hundreds? Of new bot posts. Changes in my work and personal life have greatly decrease the amount of time I can spend here. I am unfortunately not willing to spend 2 hours per day trying to clean the forums by myself! There needs to be more than one person dealing with this and Iím finished. Still, I want to thank everyone who has helped me here.

hatrix

• +34/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 08:01:32 pm »
Your work is apprecuated tony. Hope u had a nice vacation.
I've been saying the same thing.

There are alot of anti spam measures that can be put in place too. Captchas, email verify, restricted posting, etc

broknsymetry

• +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 08:31:35 pm »
Well, I went on vacation for two weeks and Iím sorry to see the forums getting ruined by bots. For the last three days I have spent 2 or more hours per day banning bots and deleting posts from them. Today there are hundreds? Of new bot posts. Changes in my work and personal life have greatly decrease the amount of time I can spend here. I am unfortunately not willing to spend 2 hours per day trying to clean the forums by myself! There needs to be more than one person dealing with this and Iím finished. Still, I want to thank everyone who has helped me here.

Thank you for all your hard work and just let me know what I can do.

Admin

• +30/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 07:56:26 pm »
Put more measures in place from stopping bots from being able to register. RodgerB has been made a mod until a permanent solution is found.

Thanks folks!

sarah

• +10/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 06:32:54 am »
You have made some members new mods, but they don't seem to be doing their job properly - vide the member Esmeralda posting links to Adult sites and noone deletes these posts !!

Dgl0497

• +0/-0
  • Live high, Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 10:37:36 am »
Just want to say thank you to the people helping keep this forum clear of spam :), i realise it must be a pretty boring task. If i had the spare time i would volunteer to help but unfortunately real life can get in the way sometimes. 

matt1313

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 09:43:28 am »
Pm sent. I'll be more then happy to assist

Leviathan

• +6/-3
  • Mysterious
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 08:11:32 am »

there are plenty of mods for smf that you could be using like the following..

bad behaviour - http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2502

Akismet - https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=544

Anti-Spam - https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2404

httpBL - https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2155

Multiple QA - https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3896

....you should also give new user groups the inability to post links, the next group up, say 5-10 posts should only have that access.