KodiTips Forums

Addons vs Builds

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
Addons vs Builds
« on: June 30, 2017, 11:57:07 am »
Ok so I have only been a kodi user for about 10 months now. Found and installed it and used TVA forums for help. With that being said I've learned quite a bit about using it but still have a long way to go.

So my question is what is the difference between an addon and a build?
Which is best to install?

Thanks guys!!!

hatrix

• +19/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
Re: Addons vs Builds
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 12:05:52 pm »
A build usually includes a skin, custom menu layouts, and preloaded addons. They are a quick and easy way for someone who isnt very tech savvy to get up and running. Obviously with everything changing now days addons inside of many builds won't work as loaded. If you ever decide to go with a build make sure you find one that has an active dev.

Personally i recommend not doing builds as learning to do everything yourself will make things wayy easier down the road should problems arise. also it gives you the options to customize things in your own way more. The addons themselves are manually installed by the user this way.

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 12:16:18 pm »
A build usually includes a skin, custom menu layouts, and preloaded addons. They are a quick and easy way for someone who isnt very tech savvy to get up and running. Obviously with everything changing now days addons inside of many builds won't work as loaded. If you ever decide to go with a build make sure you find one that has an active dev.

Personally i recommend not doing builds as learning to do everything yourself will make things wayy easier down the road should problems arise. also it gives you the options to customize things in your own way more. The addons themselves are manually installed by the user this way.

Thank you!

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 03:18:36 pm »
i agree...  builds are a nice thing to know about but really are kinda a lazy mans way of doing things that leave the user to dependent on others... for some dealer trying to replicate the same look and plug-ins on a bunch of boxes they seem to serve a purpose...

Like most things in life I quess they have their place but just take a look at the mess thats been left since the recent TVA issue... forums all over the place are flooded with end users hunting for fixes as a lot of their main plug-ins stopped and can't update and they have no idea of how to fix things when the reality is a lot of the fixes are as simple as finding their own update and knowing how to install it... Forums like here definately will become the place to learn to get help tho and its nice to see owners like this help out...

not trying to be critical with TVA... just making a point about how they helped dumb down a lot of users... kinda like a drug dealer giving out enough free samples till the markets hooked...

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 12:59:05 pm »
Always Addons!

Builds take over your box.

Leviathan

• +6/-3
  • Mysterious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 03:17:15 pm »
Ok so I have only been a kodi user for about 10 months now. Found and installed it and used TVA forums for help. With that being said I've learned quite a bit about using it but still have a long way to go.

So my question is what is the difference between an addon and a build?
Which is best to install?

Thanks guys!!!

Addon is another name for a plugin, it's a additional script that the kodi media centre can run on it's interface that has a set amount of things it can do/call that kodi allows through it's plugin interface methods.

Builds are just skins with additional settings changed on kodi via it's many XML files that store options and settings in nodes. A common two would be advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml. These just basically pre-set the kodi UI with the cstom skins and change your settings for you.

Builds for this very reason are very unreliable and can break instantly when kodi developers change various things resulting in you having a broken box.

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 03:44:32 pm »
IMHO  Addons are a single source whereas Builds are multisource with several addons built in.  With Addons you have more control over what is on your device.  But with a Build you can have all the Addons you may want in one install.  When Addons (you have singularly installed) fail or become out of date, most times you can up date or remove them.  But more often in Builds (I have seen) you cannot remove or up date failed/out of date Addons. 
My needs are simple, just TV and movies.  So, I preferr installing individual Addons.  Thus I remain with the same skin I started with.  With a Build the skin in most probably different and lazy old me has to relearn how to find things and adjust settings.  "Bother" said Pooh.  "KISS" say I.