KodiTips Forums

Kodi 16.1 to 17.3

MKMAC69

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Kodi 16.1 to 17.3
« on: July 03, 2017, 05:11:30 pm »
Let me just apologize right off I'm a bit of a noob with the android box. I have 2 now and both have Kodi 16.1 Jarvis. Can I update them to (I believe it's) 17.3 reasonably easy? and if so does anyone have some instructions I could follow? TIA

K4Me

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Kodi 16.1 to 17.3
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:31:27 pm »
Easy. Just go to Google Play Store, search for Kodi XBMC Foundation and select install (or update). However, ths will completely wipe out and previous customizations or builds. If you need those either carefully record what you have or take a backup and then try a restore after the upgrade.

MKMAC69

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 09:42:04 pm »
Thank you very much. Might you know what if anything i can do about Buffering?

Admin

• +25/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 10:31:20 pm »
Make sure you are using hard wired ethernet

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 09:26:47 pm »
Let me just apologize right off I'm a bit of a noob with the android box. I have 2 now and both have Kodi 16.1 Jarvis. Can I update them to (I believe it's) 17.3 reasonably easy? and if so does anyone have some instructions I could follow? TIA

I'm also a Kodi noob.
I make use of YouTube to learn about Kodi.
Of course on YouTube I see the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Put on hip boots and wade in.
Good Luck

Leviathan

• +6/-3
  • Mysterious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 08:00:21 am »
Thank you very much. Might you know what if anything i can do about Buffering?

Buffering is the host side, and usually due to so many freeloading that brings saturation, the best fix for poor hosts is to use a premium service like the many debrid services that will result in you getting priority bandwidth with better quality results also.

Buzz Marshall

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 03:39:47 pm »
buffering can come for a few different sources and i do agree, Leviathan is right about the sources as well...

but buffering can be caused by a lot of things including kodi itself and the hardware its running on...

If things were working well in Jarvis or older Isengard but then started acting up with Krypton you can check your advanced settings file and make sure the Krypton version (if your using one) is using the proper tags for Krypton... some tags changed moving up off Jarvis...

Seeing as you mention using a Android box i will also say the move up from older S80x based boxes to the newer S90x based boxes have presented some issues at a firmware level as a lot of box makers are kinda running generic versions of Android provided by Amlogic's support and leaves a lot to desire... in fact to be honest anyone running the older S812's in most cases are better off staying on them as most of the real advantages of the newer S90x based units aren't realized because of poor firmware support... the sad part is most dealers/makers are forcing people to move up by making the older boxes harder to find... because of the over abundance of vendors nowadays its always best to purchase your unit based on seeing 3rd party development for a particular brand/model... 

Android wastes a lot of what little resources most boxes have by running tracking software and a pile of crap that at times leaves Kodi starving especially in light of the new and better things being incorporated in Kodi as it evolves.

Your provider and where you fit into their network infrastructure and the routes from them to the source location has been known to cause streaming problems at times... actually if your in Canada and messing with IKS for sat purposes the providers are known to bounce your around within their own network causing packet timeouts for Cam purposes and Rogers for years have been known to do port throttling trying mess with Netflix customers using Rogers internet access...

I point all this out just so people are aware that even tho i do agree with Leviathan there really can be other particular reasons people have buffering issues and it can take a fair amount of research into your particular issues...

MKMAC69

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 07:42:18 am »
Thanks for all the info guys, your all so helpful =)

EdT

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 10:50:19 pm »
If your mediaplayer for Android box is an older S802/S802H AMLogic chipset stuck on Android 4.4.2 KitKat then you officailly cannot upgrade to Kodi 17.X.  The firmware must be Android 5.0+ Lollipop for offical Kodi 17.X to install   That said there are Kodi forks such as MyGica Media Center (MMC17.0/17.1/17.3) that will allow you to run Kodi 17.X on these boxes.

Buzz Marshall

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 01:02:30 am »
without knowing exactly what box your running tho i would just make sure you find firmware meant for your box... by that i mean specifically for yours or at least something others have said they are using on the same box as yours...

box hardware and crappy clones are like the wild west these days and its easy to get stuck with firwmare that acts up or maybe runs ok but not all the hardware is working...

updating generally is not all that hard but you want to make sure you got the right or at least something close enough to the hardware you have... so figure out your box and do a bit of googling to see whats out there for your box and then at least you'll have a good idea of what your options are and know what to do...

depending on what your hardware is and if you using your box only for Kodi you may want to consider one of the linux solutions like LibreElec... anyways i'd start by figuring out exactly what box you got and do a bit of googling (freaktab) and see how active the developement community is for your box...

sarah

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 02:47:42 am »
You may consider installing Ebmc in the old boxes.

Ebmc is exactly like Kodi but can be installed with the newer addons.

EdT

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 05:48:59 pm »
EMBC is MyGica MMC fork,  just check the system info and it will say MyGica. 
I prefer MyGica MMC over the EBMC fork.

sarah

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 11:14:01 am »
EMBC is MyGica MMC fork,  just check the system info and it will say MyGica. 
I prefer MyGica MMC over the EBMC fork.

So?   
Ebmc fork still does it's job to help us install addons which only work on newer Android box versions.
Problem solved.