KodiTips Forums

Stream from router USB

Chinrest

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Stream from router USB
« on: July 05, 2017, 07:36:44 am »
I would like to play video from router USB via Kodi over network and am looking for a simple guide.  In System, File manager, add source, smb, it comes up blank.  Assuming smb needs setting up first, in Windows 10 I can add the USB as an available drive for file explorer.  However sharing for the Movies folder is unavailable.  Homegroup is also not possible to setup, I have a local account for Windows.  Kodi needs a pathway for it's file manager to the USB, but I'm not sure how best to link up?

TonyH

• +15/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Stream from router USB
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 09:48:16 am »
You need to set up the USB drive as a shared drive IN THE ROUTER settings, and in some cases some software on the drive.
E.G. Readyshare on a netgear router.
Google your router name and model number and look for the manual. Once you have that, look under the USB tab. Good luck
P.s. I was not yelling with the caps, just emphasizing you need to set up the router

Chinrest

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Stream from router USB
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:57:49 am »
Android Minix U1

Ok thanks Tony, you reminded me to check in the router itself for drive settings.  Having checked I can't see any options in the BT Home hub 5, it just lists the drive in my network.  It seems before Kodi can connect to smb source, a Samba server needs to be setup? However I've not been able to find a user friendly guide for windows 10.

Frustrating to find network shares are not readily accessible in Windows. I found no mention of smb/Samba in the os, but added the drive as a mapped location and double checked it's available to share. Beyond that there's something missing?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:39:17 am by Chinrest »