KodiTips Forums

Too Many add-ons?

dada

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
Too Many add-ons?
« on: July 05, 2017, 10:30:36 am »
Is there a such thing as having too many addons? what's the proper way to clean up a firestick besides un-installing and removing sources? Or does it matter? I have addons that I never use like Gobble Gobble, Gorrilla...Flixnet....and more.

ttown

Re: Too Many add-ons?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:51:38 am »
there is such a thing called bloat, especially, on a 1GB/8GB stick, it'll slowdown and affect your overall device performance, you can sideload ccleaner or just go in to ES File Explorer and run the cleaner option ... uninstalling old, obsolete and unneeded/unwanted add-ons/repos/sources is the first step, then head on over to file manager > profile directory > addon_data and clear out all the plugins and scripts leftover ... running a daily maintenance tool in Kodi doesn't actually clear anything long term, it repopulates once you start running the app again

dada

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:24:56 am »
there is such a thing called bloat, especially, on a 1GB/8GB stick, it'll slowdown and affect your overall device performance, you can sideload ccleaner or just go in to ES File Explorer and run the cleaner option ... uninstalling old, obsolete and unneeded/unwanted add-ons/repos/sources is the first step, then head on over to file manager > profile directory > addon_data and clear out all the plugins and scripts leftover ... running a daily maintenance tool in Kodi doesn't actually clear anything long term, it repopulates once you start running the app again
Thank you! Can you give me more info on the cleaner in  ES File explorer? Sorta new to this lol. Also....is there a way to check to see if I'm actually using a repo or source before deleting it? Or should I just delete if un sure and reinstall if needed?

dada

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 11:30:40 am »
When I get home, I'll screen shot all of the sources/repos I have.

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 02:38:03 pm »
All these addons can be maddening.  I read of an experiment where they kept putting rats into a case one by one.  After a while the rats went mad and started killing each other.  Addons are not animals, but too many is maddening.

RodgerB

• +20/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 02:45:05 pm »
Unfortunately, this is something that has to be worked on every day. Research and checking. This is the price to pay for free tv and movies. Do it yourself is the way to go, so dig in ....cheers.

dada

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 03:39:26 pm »
I figuring it out as a go....found the cleaner in ES Explorer....had like 10,000 log files lol. Got rid of a lot of addons. I like this site, very helpful. I feel sorry for all the people that were charged $100+ for a jailbroken firestick with the promise of free TV forever.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 03:53:29 pm »
If you don't need Android, loose it and move to one of the Linux solutions and get into the habit of only keeping and retaining plug ins you actually use...

I find alot of dealers load everything under the sun onto the boxes when they sell them and most Android boxes are already some what choked with all Android's tracking and logging/caching...

Install something and check it out and if its not what you want or don't work right then remove it right away rather then leaving it to contribute to system pollution... for the Average unexperienced user i think doing basic house keeping is easier on a linux setup like LibreElec as compared to the unexperienced user knowing whats safe or not to removed from the Android OS...

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 01:06:18 am »
If you don't need Android, loose it and move to one of the Linux solutions and get into the habit of only keeping and retaining plug ins you actually use...

I find alot of dealers load everything under the sun onto the boxes when they sell them and most Android boxes are already some what choked with all Android's tracking and logging/caching...

Install something and check it out and if its not what you want or don't work right then remove it right away rather then leaving it to contribute to system pollution... for the Average unexperienced user i think doing basic house keeping is easier on a linux setup like LibreElec as compared to the unexperienced user knowing whats safe or not to removed from the Android OS...

I have many addons that I don't use as well! I'm using a windows 10 pc. I would love to remove most of them I've often wonder if I did remove some of them would it affect the main addon I use form that repo?

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 03:10:26 pm »
Im not much up on windows 10 but understand 7 and all the olders one but would imagine its not that much different...

If you know where Kodi resides in the file structure for the user portion it should be as simple as going into your addons directory and removing the directory of the plugins you want to remove, and as well look inside the packages directory that should be in the addons directory and remove the matching zipped up version of the same plugin your removing...

Generally that should be enough to get rid of what you don't want...

As well you may want to check under the Userdata directory and see if theres any personal settings for the plug-in your removing...

Eg: User portion finds Kodi's Root at:

username/AppData/Roaming/Kodi

addons/ should contain the stuff you add into kodi...
addons/packages/ should contain the zipped up versions of the addons you downloaded into kodi...

userdata/ will contain your personal stuff such as db's and configuration files unique to the user
userdata/addon_data/ should contain various settings files for some plugins if they exist...
username/AppData/Roaming/Kodi/

Windows 10 may be laid out slightly different but that should get you started...
Id suggest pick one you dont want and try doing this and then restart kodi and see that everything else is still working ok...

once you get a feel for it you'll find its actually quite easy to do your own housekeeping and were you can personalize some things for yourself

the normal install for kodi i think is under the Program's x86 directory but leave things alone in their and just work within the AppData directory structure which is where Kodi's user stuff gets jamned...

hope that helps...

hatrix

• +27/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 04:16:20 pm »
i've always just gone the fresh start route when i need to remove more than 2+ addons.
Currently i've got about 6 addons and about 5 source/repos for them.
No issues with slowing for now.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 05:07:48 pm »
ya... sometimes going the fresh install isn't a bad idea...

i tend to come from the give people the tools to learn school of thought but your right as a fresh install is just easier and some people don't feel comfortable messing around with things...but your right fresh install is never really a bad idea...

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 10:47:26 pm »
Im not much up on windows 10 but understand 7 and all the olders one but would imagine its not that much different...

If you know where Kodi resides in the file structure for the user portion it should be as simple as going into your addons directory and removing the directory of the plugins you want to remove, and as well look inside the packages directory that should be in the addons directory and remove the matching zipped up version of the same plugin your removing...

Generally that should be enough to get rid of what you don't want...

As well you may want to check under the Userdata directory and see if theres any personal settings for the plug-in your removing...

Eg: User portion finds Kodi's Root at:

username/AppData/Roaming/Kodi

addons/ should contain the stuff you add into kodi...
addons/packages/ should contain the zipped up versions of the addons you downloaded into kodi...

userdata/ will contain your personal stuff such as db's and configuration files unique to the user
userdata/addon_data/ should contain various settings files for some plugins if they exist...
username/AppData/Roaming/Kodi/

Windows 10 may be laid out slightly different but that should get you started...
Id suggest pick one you dont want and try doing this and then restart kodi and see that everything else is still working ok...

once you get a feel for it you'll find its actually quite easy to do your own housekeeping and were you can personalize some things for yourself

the normal install for kodi i think is under the Program's x86 directory but leave things alone in their and just work within the AppData directory structure which is where Kodi's user stuff gets jamned...

hope that helps...

Thank you! I'll give it a try.

EdT

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 11:21:45 pm »
One answer ...is Yes !
Most add-ons are repetitive for the same material.
When you start Kodi add-ons are constantly updating slowing you from doing what you want to do right away.
The killer are the thumbnails that get stored into the cache and will not automatically delete itself.  Your 152mb Kodi install can easily inflate to 2GB over time.  You can easily clear out the cache by deleting the thumbnails.db file in Kodi's System>File Manager>Profile directory
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:27:07 pm by EdT »

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 12:41:23 am »
ya for sure... the auto update thing can be a real issue sometimes , especially on the small devices... my video db is like 5gig because of the media stored on my inside lan once it scans in everything...

nothing against tva or super repo but all the useless updates is one of the reasons i was never keen on collection sites like them... i much prefer just installing the plugins i actually want manually and avoid any type of maintainance or updating tools from sites like that... unfortunately tho for the average joe the makers and dealers load the boxes up with one common collection site like that and pass the future problems off to the poor enduser sometime down the road when things fail...

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 04:19:22 pm »
One answer ...is Yes !
Most add-ons are repetitive for the same material.
When you start Kodi add-ons are constantly updating slowing you from doing what you want to do right away.
The killer are the thumbnails that get stored into the cache and will not automatically delete itself.  Your 152mb Kodi install can easily inflate to 2GB over time.  You can easily clear out the cache by deleting the thumbnails.db file in Kodi's System>File Manager>Profile directory
[/quote

My file does not say thumbnails.db it just says Thumbnails and when I click into it I have like 10 folders each with over 81 jpgs files. So do I just delete that entire file?

EdT

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 05:40:42 pm »
Yes,  just highlight the Thumbnails folder and then press "C" on your keyboard and select "Delete".  You can see all the rubbish it is deleting on your top right side progress bar.

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 05:14:22 pm »
Yes,  just highlight the Thumbnails folder and then press "C" on your keyboard and select "Delete".  You can see all the rubbish it is deleting on your top right side progress bar.

Thanks!!

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 01:56:03 am »
Is there a such thing as having too many addons? what's the proper way to clean up a firestick besides un-installing and removing sources? Or does it matter? I have addons that I never use like Gobble Gobble, Gorrilla...Flixnet....and more.

Great question.
Yes.
I've been there, done that.
I loaded 3 builds ontop of each other just for the hell of it and had over 800 enabled  addons.
At that time the 'get more' list was less than 1,800 or 1,900.
This included at least 3 wizards like Titan and Mucky Duck.
With the constant updates my Kodi was like a friggin pinball machine.
It was crazy busy including the 'addon/repository is broken' pop up
'do you want to remove it' so clicking NO was a never ending pain.
Plus I had 135 favorites, and yes favorites do add a lot of GB/files/folders to a build.
God knows how many thousands of script and script files were involved.
Plus a shit load of Anime and Adult.
It was a crazy build, I called it Frankenstein, heh.....
Long story short less is more.
Pick your poison.
My current build is down to 35 addons most are 3rd party
with the 'get more' list at 2,400. No wizards.

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lubuntu