KodiTips Forums

Video does not start-Exodus

WarrenC

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Video does not start-Exodus
« on: July 07, 2017, 02:03:48 pm »
Hi Everyone

I'm hoping someone can direct me to how I can fix this annoying issue. I am running the latest version of Kodi and have installed the latest version of Exodus. I am running Kodi on a Asus Chromebook Flip, one of the few chromebooks that have the capability of running Android Apps. As luck would have it, I got the chromebook days before all havoc started with the addon's moving and/or going down so I don't know if I have an issue with the Chromebook or with Kodi.

Anyways, Exodus is running and the search function now works well. However, most of the time when I click on a link for a movie or tv show, I get the circle showing it's working, then I get a small "Play" symbol in the right hand top corner side of the screen with the name of the movie. It sits for a number of seconds, then I get an "unexpected error, Kodi needs to close" message. If I try the same procedure 2-3 times, sometimes more, I finally get the movie to play. If I remember right, I don't think I was having this problem the one day I tried while TV-Addons was still up. Can anyone help?  As a side note, I still can't install SALTS. I've tried various repo's, but keep getting an error to check log. Not certain, but it looks like SALTS has problems finding somekind of directory. By the way, the play issue happens with Elysium and Specto too.

Thanks

TonyH

• +28/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Video does not start-Exodus
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 03:08:50 pm »
Sounds like a problem within kodi itself. You say your running krypton 17.3?

WarrenC

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 03:49:33 pm »
Yes, Krypton 17.3

TonyH

• +28/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 03:59:58 pm »
Sorry, after re-reading your post it sounds like an OS problem with kodi. I'm not familiar with chromebooks at all. Hopefully someone else here has a good suggestion, but Im sure more info will be needed to help identify the cause.

hatrix

• +19/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 04:18:37 pm »
definitely sounds like something in chromebook OS isn't playing well with the kodi player.

WarrenC

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 05:25:37 pm »
thing is, I think it was working fine for the 1 or 2 days I had it before all the mess up. (I think)

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 05:32:39 pm »
sometimes its a OS thing but it could be for some reason kodi's not picking up the proper video codec for some reason...either way i'd look at the logs for some clues...

WarrenC

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 08:11:42 pm »
im getting a Get Directory-Error Getting
Previous LIne repeats two times
Exception: Non existent Control 1
Attempt to use invalid handle -1

I have no idea what this means

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 12:32:44 am »
need more log information then that but based on your original description of the issue starting id take a quess and say theres something not write with one of the common dependancies not providing kodi's core with what it needs...

with tva going down people started having issues with the common packages they were distro'ning and your description and the little piece of the log you posted obviously shows its not finding what it wants... could be because its missing or not the right version or posibly somethings wrong with it permission structure...

its interesting that you say it will eventually kinda work if ya keep poking it... almost makes me wonder if theres multiple copy's of something that keeps stepping on each other... was it just trying to fix the plugins after tva went down that you did or was kodi reinstalled as well...

also seeing as your saying its spread across a number of plugins would make me look at one of the dependancy's thats shared by all of the failing plugins...

i'm inclined to think your OS is probably ok from what you've said sofar...

seems to me its more of either something corrupted or broken with the fixes you tried doing (assuming you were tryin to fix after the tva outage) or something in whatever you were doing has corrupted kodi... fresh install maybe the easiest and quickest, depending on what and how you went about doing it...

just to clarify tho, my quess's are based on you saying it was working up to tva going offline and i am assuming you were attempting to fix those problems by doing updates or changes of some kind...

Leviathan

• +6/-3
  • Mysterious
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 09:02:22 am »
im getting a Get Directory-Error Getting
Previous LIne repeats two times
Exception: Non existent Control 1
Attempt to use invalid handle -1

I have no idea what this means

I'd suggest factory resetting the kodi installation, remove all appdata and settings files and install kodi fresh and install plugins manually or use reliable repositories, they're aren't many but you should find a few. Get errors are usually when kodi trys to use a GET request from a plugin, a Get request is the same when you go to websites and see links like movie.php?videosID=12345 , this is a GET request, Kodi uses these requests like plugin://plugin.video.VideoPluginName/?videosID=12345 for example.

This method is used for all plugin calls and directory listings calls, and can give you that error when it cannot get a valid response. Obviously you have corrupted plugins and likely stale XML files in your build/kodi installation.

A handle is usually a window/box that opens, in this case it could be the results windows, the list of sources or even an error box, it could be one of many window handles, and in this case having an id of -1 tells you there was an issue opening a invalid index.

WarrenC

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 10:17:17 am »
I ended up deleted the kodi app and reinstalling it along with exodus addon from Smash repository (from media repos). I tried watching an episode of SS-GB and it worked. However, when I went back to watch the next episode, I couldn't get it to play. Tried about 4 times, then tried restarting the app, tried re-starting the chromebook and it just wouldn't play that next episode. Tried to use Elysium and that one started to play. On the side note, I was able to install SALTS. Even though it "works", it doesn't play anything as I'm getting scraper timeouts now. Does Trak have anything to do with it. On this latest install, I never did anything with it?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 10:19:13 am by WarrenC »