KodiTips Forums

Ares wizard (help please)

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
Ares wizard (help please)
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:59:48 am »
Would someone please post the steps on how to remove the current url  I'm currently using

http://toptutorals.co.uk/kodi/repo/ and change it to the correct one http://repo.ares-project.com/magic

also will i have to uninstall and reinstall all repos and addons I am currently using from the wrong URL?

Thanks

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ares wizard (help please)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 01:15:26 pm »
Would someone please post the steps on how to remove the current url  I'm currently using

http://toptutorals.co.uk/kodi/repo/ and change it to the correct one http://repo.ares-project.com/magic

also will i have to uninstall and reinstall all repos and addons I am currently using from the wrong URL?

Thanks

You did not specify what device you have Kodi on. 
I have Kodi 17.3 on a PC.
1. Open Kodi
2. Open File Manager
3. Right click on the Ares source
4. Select Edit source
5. And edit the source

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 02:56:41 pm »

Thanks

You did not specify what device you have Kodi on. 
I have Kodi 17.3 on a PC.
1. Open Kodi
2. Open File Manager
3. Right click on the Ares source
4. Select Edit source
5. And edit the source

Thank you so much! I too have 17.3 on pc

ramesh11

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:41:33 am »

Thanks
Here you can get http://nextbigapp.net/kodi-wizard/

ramesh11

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 10:42:27 am »
simple here you go for best kodi wizard http://nextbigapp.net/kodi-wizard/

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 01:18:20 pm »
Editing the source file to correct it to the new repo is one part...

You should also totally un-install the plug-in and then go into the addons directory with a file manager for whatever system your running on and look inside the packages directory and remove the appropriate zip files as well...

Un-installing a plug-in from within Kodi leaves the original zip files intact in the packages directory and they don't need to be there...

Wizards themselves can be unsafe and prior to un-installing any wizard app one should look at the main xml file for the app and make sure to remove any dependencies used by the app your removing and make sure they are removed as well... then if you decide to reinstall a new version from a new site you can do so based on the correction you've made to the file manager source...

Just correcting the location with the file manager is no guarantee that the existing app or plug-in is going to be removed as all thats going to happen on trying to update it is that anything that already exists on your machine will be overwritten with anything in the new file that is named the same... stuff on your machine thats named differently then the parts of the new app or plug-in will be left behind so it will pollute the new installation... Usually your personal settings for any plug-in are contained in a different directory and will be used with the new install version to restore the setting you had...

Its always best to totally remove any plug-in when reinstalling something from a new source just to be safe...

People really need to rethink the idea of allowing some maintainance type of plug-in control over their device while it runs in the background...

flhthemi

• +11/-1
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 10:00:57 am »
Use caution when removing dependencies as they could also be used by other addons from other repos.

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 01:42:23 pm »
Use caution when removing dependencies as they could also be used by other addons from other repos.

I had this happen to me when I removed Bubbles a couple of months ago! URL Resolver was also removed once I reinstalled Bubbles all worked well. I don't use Bubbles and would like to remove it.

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 02:00:51 pm »
Editing the source file to correct it to the new repo is one part...

You should also totally un-install the plug-in and then go into the addons directory with a file manager for whatever system your running on and look inside the packages directory and remove the appropriate zip files as well...

Un-installing a plug-in from within Kodi leaves the original zip files intact in the packages directory and they don't need to be there...

Wizards themselves can be unsafe and prior to un-installing any wizard app one should look at the main xml file for the app and make sure to remove any dependencies used by the app your removing and make sure they are removed as well... then if you decide to reinstall a new version from a new site you can do so based on the correction you've made to the file manager source...

Just correcting the location with the file manager is no guarantee that the existing app or plug-in is going to be removed as all thats going to happen on trying to update it is that anything that already exists on your machine will be overwritten with anything in the new file that is named the same... stuff on your machine thats named differently then the parts of the new app or plug-in will be left behind so it will pollute the new installation... Usually your personal settings for any plug-in are contained in a different directory and will be used with the new install version to restore the setting you had...

Its always best to totally remove any plug-in when reinstalling something from a new source just to be safe...

People really need to rethink the idea of allowing some maintainance type of plug-in control over their device while it runs in the background...

I kinda understand this but when I go to file directory within Kodi I can never find cache or packages. Someone suggested that I add it as a source then turn on show hidden files to find cache and packages. I am running Kodi on a PC and even went into my program files>Kodi and still was not able to find it. Could it be because I saved everything to thumb drive and installed from zip without adding sources in file manager?

Maybe I should just wipe my system and start over but at the same time I'm afraid that things may not function right.   

TonyH

• +39/-3
  • You have a 50-50 chance if you follow my advice 😂
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 02:28:12 pm »
On your PC you need to enable hidden folders and files.
Open file explorer and go to c:/users/username/%appdata%/roaming/kodi

Or you can search for %appdata%roaming in windows

Jaded

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 04:38:12 pm »
That addon kept making Kodi crash at start up for me...I had to uninstall it and stop using it.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 07:51:24 pm »
Im so used to Linux and the embedded devices i kinda forget that with windows pretty much all of the user stuff is found inside the roaming directory inside the AppData directory which is marked hidden...

So in the root of the C driver look for the User's directory and go into the Named (name of the user) directory and look for a hidden directory called AppData... inside that theres a roaming directory which inside of it will be the Kodi directory... this Kodi directory contains all of the extra stuff you add to the normal installation of Kodi... the installation portion of Kodi will be installed in the normal Programs Files (x86) unless you've told windows to install it someplace else...  Anyways Userland stuff is all in the Kodi directory inside roaming inside AppData inside The Named User directory...

Now inside that Kodi directory you will find a bunch of other directories with one called addons and another on called userdata as well as a few other folders...

The addons folder is where any plug-in or addon that the user installs will be located once its installed via Kodi...
-inside that addon folder will be all of the now installed addons as well as another folder called packages...
-inside the packages folder are all of the original zip'd versions of the addon already installed...

The userdata flolder has a bunch of folders in it which contain things like the various db files and all the artwork and thumbnail caches as well as folder called addon_data and then a bunch of loose files...

-the addon_data folder contains all of your personalized settings when it comes to your installed addons and they are organized so theres a folder with the addon name and then inside that folder will be a settings.xml file...
eg: youtube... there will be a youtube folder with a settings.xml file inside it... that file will contain all of the settings you've made to the youtube addon via the configuration screen from the context menu for the youtube plugin...

Hopefully that will help explain the layout of Kodi on window for people... this is the only area people should mess with unless you truly know what your doing... the rest of the Kodi installation should not normally need to be touched... all the user stuff will found inside the AddData folder as you descend into that directory structure...

Linux is similar just everything for it will be found inside .kodi under the User's Home directory...

Android boxes as well will have everything inside hidden directories from within the User's root directory... in fact all user data will be found there unless theres a external drive/flash plugged in... under the Users root directory is normally the only writable space on a typical Android or Embedded device, outside the addition of external flash/drive...

Now as far as removing stuff the safest and cleanest way is to try 1st doing it from withing the context menu of the addon while Kodi is running... that way if theres any dependancy's its going to remove it will pop up a dialog box telling you it can't because some other addon still requires it... anyways once you've gone through the motions of doing it that when then do what i've suggested above as a cleanup to actually remove all the remnants and making sure its truly gone... theres lots of addon's that even tho you may say to un-install them they only shut the addon off while physically leaving its still there... the level and style of coders varies and its not uncommon to see addons with dumb un-installers that dont actually take stuff off...

If trying to remove a addon thats malfunctioning and not letting you get rid of it thru the normal context box they you have no choice but to kill kodi and just go and start removing stuff right from the directories... if doing it this way its best to always do them one at a time and not in a bunch until you know your way around... in fact sometimes if your unsure of your abilities rather then just throwing it away rename it to something you can use as a marker first... then when you reboot kodi if things seem to be ok other then just missing what you took out you know you did it right... then you can pitch the renamed stuff. if it didnt work you just need to rename it back to what it originally was called and when kodi starts back up things will be back to where you started...  when i rename something i usually leave the original name there and just something like rem- and -rem at the beginning and the end of the real name that way you always know what the real name originally was and its easy to restore...

Now regarding the Url Resolver... i always add things like that on their own as a single addon that way if whoever wrote the addon knows what they are doing when they coded the addon it shouldn't remove the dependency once it sees other addon's are using it... it may bring up a message box saying something but should still follow thru in leaving it behind while the rest of the addon is removed...some addons are better at following the rules then others...

The reason Bubbles removed it was probably because it installed it so its linked to the un-install... if bubbles was installed and it was already on the system bubbles if its coded properly should have checked and seen it was there and then finished installing itself but not linked itself as the source to the dependency... not all addons play nice tho...

The idea is that if the dependency was introduced into the system not tied to some addon and its repo for a install then no one particular addon should be able to remove it... and if its working right it will check for updates from all of the installed addons repos going forward...

Hopes that helps clear some things up

hatrix

• +27/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 12:08:12 pm »
by the way here is the most up to date ares url
http://ares-repo.eu