KodiTips Forums

!!

Sign up for a free KodiTips forum account and discuss Kodi tips and tricks. Get help for your Kodi problems and join in the conversation today.

Site is lost

taylor96

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Site is lost
« on: February 02, 2018, 03:01:07 pm »
this site has gone to the pits. bots bots and more bots..

good bye and goodluck..gone and gone

RodgerB

• +29/-7
    • View Profile
Re: Site is lost
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 07:21:46 pm »
We are back. Site usable again. Cheers.

flhthemi

• +18/-2
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:41:56 am »
Big thanks for that RogerB! Don't know about others but this has become my go to forum and I really hated seeing the bots in here destroying it. So thanks again for being here and for cleaning house!

Dave_

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 02:17:18 pm »
Yep I appreciate all you guys do for us novices, thanks for cleaning it up again...

RodgerB

• +29/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 02:58:07 pm »
Thanks guys , however the admin cleaned it up. I will try to keep it clean. Cheers.

broknsymetry

• +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 05:52:24 pm »
Thanks guys , however the admin cleaned it up. I will try to keep it clean. Cheers.

Hey Rodger, I'm not sure what permissions you have, but if you can remove or at least ban users you might wish to scrutinize those that joined after 1/24 especially if they have a MSN tag.  There are those like Roberttus who joined 1/26 and just posted spam but does not have a MSN tag.  Also you might want to look at some who joined around the end of Sep/beginning of Oct, there seems to be another group with MSN tags (IIRC we were having a smaller spam issue then too.)  In fact if you could eliminate or ban those who have 0 posts and have not been active in 90+ days, these could be sleeper bots.

Thank you for your effort and time. :)

RodgerB

• +29/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:48:25 pm »
Hi broknsymetry. There's way too many suspects to go through, it looks like a Russian hack. I will watch for new posts and delete and ban from there...Cheers

taylor96

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 02:04:46 pm »
OKee  dokee. will try again.. still see the odd spam. like Kristimit's post today . nothing to do with the site. just fishing for business.. . hopefully the site will evolve to be great again..tks

RodgerB

• +29/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 10:01:57 pm »
Banned about 150 today (mostly @mail.ru ) and cleaned up only 2 or 3 messages, so it looks like we may have turned the corner to a cleaner forum. RB

flhthemi

• +18/-2
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 08:41:21 am »
YES! And I have noticed the improvement! Thanks for the hard work!

Leviathan

• +6/-3
  • Mysterious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 05:37:40 am »

You should be looking at this the logical side, you shouldn't be banning users but ip's/ranges and or e-mail domains, banning users is fruitless.

you should delete all those users then add the e-mail ban as say *@mail.ru so all emails at that domain will be blocked registration level via regular expression.

You can use .htaccess and allow and deny from ip ranges and block the entire country of russia if needed.

example: https://www.countryipblocks.net/country_selection.php

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Ban_list

it's quite easy to curb spam if you want.