KodiTips Forums

Vpn

Bigdave84

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Vpn
« on: July 16, 2017, 03:15:25 am »
Hi guys I use kodi on my amazon fire stick, is there a way for me to get a 100% free vpn?

j2theb

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Vpn
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:05:47 am »
Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.  I've yet to find a suitable "free" vpn.

Buzz Marshall

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 11:48:56 am »
Im sure theres free ones out there but as j2theb said... you get what you pay for... most of the free ones generally offer poor service and performance and to be honest can be found for reasonable rates if you watch for one of them offering specials such as 2 years for the price of 1 or something else... just do your homework and not blindly just by into the marketing hype... you want one thats not run by a US registered company as a eg...

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 11:34:01 pm »
No VPN is totally safe.  Governments in any country may secretly circumvent a VPN's privacy policies.  But having a VPN is still better than not.  I'm worried more about thieves raiding my bank account than government knowing what I'm doing with Kodi.  So I never on-line bank without my VPN turned on.

Buzz Marshall

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 07:23:39 pm »
True, but if your going to pay for a vpn why make things easy for the NSA by using one thats run by a US registered company that will cave in without much resistance... Not many US companies have the wealth like Apple who recently told the US government were to go, No vpn provider has pockets that deep... so you might as well get the best bang for your buck...

Besides to really to be honest being a hacker i can safely tell you a Vpn in a lot of cases is actually a detriment to security as far as getting hacked as the very nature of how a vpn works can open up some holes that normally wouldn't be there...

jimblazin

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 07:21:42 am »
True, but if your going to pay for a vpn why make things easy for the NSA by using one thats run by a US registered company that will cave in without much resistance... Not many US companies have the wealth like Apple who recently told the US government were to go, No vpn provider has pockets that deep... so you might as well get the best bang for your buck...

Besides to really to be honest being a hacker i can safely tell you a Vpn in a lot of cases is actually a detriment to security as far as getting hacked as the very nature of how a vpn works can open up some holes that normally wouldn't be there...
PIA is a US based VPN company and they have already been tested by the FBI, they didn't hand over any information because they simply didn't have the logs to give. https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-providers-no-logging-claims-tested-in-fbi-case-160312/

Buzz Marshall

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 12:41:45 pm »
ya i seen that before... 1st its a bit old in terms of how things change but i have absolutely no belief in stuff like that as when it comes the US very few ever really know what goes on and unless someone like Snowden once again comes along to expose the reality of what is going on behind the scenes most will never know...

Besides its not the FBI i worry about its the NSA and the CIA which is consistently over stepping its mandate of not doing covert things within the US ( the CIA that is)... its about trust and in light of the US's political mess theres no way anyone can safely believe the powers to be know what there left hand is doing at times, because their not in the loop... People can post anything they want on the Internet whether its true or not no one thats not actually involved in whats posted every really will know... I don't mind torrentfreaks as i follow them as well but he's only reposting what someone else posted for whatever reasons it was posted in the 1st place... how much of that is actually true who knows...

Believe what you wish but ive been around from day one and was one of the 1st ISP's in my area many years ago and have watched the Internet evolve over the years and seen how corporations and goverments that never believed in it as they thought it was all fad based have all been fighting now for the last few years trying to play catch-up because they all now know the value of data... Corporations want it to better create revenue streams on the back bone of the average joe while Governments want it to control the average joe and most just don't see or get it because they are still stuck living in the matrix and oblivious to reality...

Me, i keep my security concerns based on common sense and knowing what i have experienced and observed with other bh's over the years...

As far as logs go its not a matter of whether or not they keep running logs which most claim they don't... its in the fact that the Goverment's in the 5 eyes could order the VPN company to start logs specifically on someone for whatever reason they want to justify and you wont know about it... the US used to require a FISA warrant which we all know now that under Obama and junior GiJoe Bush they just went around...

thats the real issue with a VPN... sure they all claim they don't keep current logs but thats not the same thing...

jimblazin

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 07:41:03 am »
ya i seen that before... 1st its a bit old in terms of how things change but i have absolutely no belief in stuff like that as when it comes the US very few ever really know what goes on and unless someone like Snowden once again comes along to expose the reality of what is going on behind the scenes most will never know...

Besides its not the FBI i worry about its the NSA and the CIA which is consistently over stepping its mandate of not doing covert things within the US ( the CIA that is)... its about trust and in light of the US's political mess theres no way anyone can safely believe the powers to be know what there left hand is doing at times, because their not in the loop... People can post anything they want on the Internet whether its true or not no one thats not actually involved in whats posted every really will know... I don't mind torrentfreaks as i follow them as well but he's only reposting what someone else posted for whatever reasons it was posted in the 1st place... how much of that is actually true who knows...

Believe what you wish but ive been around from day one and was one of the 1st ISP's in my area many years ago and have watched the Internet evolve over the years and seen how corporations and goverments that never believed in it as they thought it was all fad based have all been fighting now for the last few years trying to play catch-up because they all now know the value of data... Corporations want it to better create revenue streams on the back bone of the average joe while Governments want it to control the average joe and most just don't see or get it because they are still stuck living in the matrix and oblivious to reality...

Me, i keep my security concerns based on common sense and knowing what i have experienced and observed with other bh's over the years...

As far as logs go its not a matter of whether or not they keep running logs which most claim they don't... its in the fact that the Goverment's in the 5 eyes could order the VPN company to start logs specifically on someone for whatever reason they want to justify and you wont know about it... the US used to require a FISA warrant which we all know now that under Obama and junior GiJoe Bush they just went around...

thats the real issue with a VPN... sure they all claim they don't keep current logs but thats not the same thing...
yeah trusting anyone with your information is sketchy to me at least, after the whole snowden stuff it is very hard to trust the powers to be. i thank you for the long post, you seem very intelligent and i enjoyed it!

Buzz Marshall

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 08:23:37 pm »
no probs...
I ran a few bbs boards back in the day and was one of the 1st Internet provider in the area other then the 2 universities in town... so i've had the opportunity to something once called a "passing fad" into its current state... when i started it was all still just text based using something like Lynx...lol... its just worries me at times when it comes to security as I don't think a lot of user ever spend much time thinking about it and just how valuable data has become these days to corporations and the governments...

i always tell people this... its hard for anyone to not know who Google is these days and what its worth... but how many realize that a lot of that wealth came from "Data"... Google got its start and a lot of its wealth from using other peoples data and really did nothing other then build a system that collected everything it could find and then allow people to search... not that i'm trying to demean Google ... just trying to point how much data is worth and these days its worth even more...