KodiTips Forums

Video skips/jumps ahead

Lisaxaphona

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Video skips/jumps ahead
« on: July 25, 2017, 07:37:20 am »
First of all, I'd like to say that I have been searching for this for a while however using the search terms "kodi skipping" always shows me results for buffering and stuttering in playback.

My problem is sometimes when I'm trying to play sources, from the beginning of the video and every few seconds (sometimes 5, 10, and sometimes 20), the video will skip ahead. I do not know how far it skips ahead I assume it is only a few seconds, but the timer continues to count normally.

Out of the many many times this has happened I have only noticed the timer skipping with the video once or twice.

This problem would rarely happen a year ago when I had Jarvis. I do not remember what settings I tweaked or if I just installed the new version of Kodi but the problem had stopped. I have the latest version now.

Fast forward to a year later and it has started happening again. It is becoming more and more frequent. It happens on videos with healthy sources, videos that have 200 plus sources, and videos that have only a few sources. Usually, when I have enough sources I will just play different ones until it plays smoothly.

Sometimes the skipping ahead will be random parts, other times it will be at the same parts no matter what sources I play.

I have been looking for a very long time and cannot find this issue anywhere. So I have finally decided to ask for help, and upload my log hoping to figure it out. I am using Kodi on a Windows 10 PC. I do not remember ever having this problem on my Android device, but I have not used it in a while. I will post the log here. I do not think it is a relating issue but every time I open Kodi I get a box at the top with a red X that says indigo failure or something along the lines. That has been a recent issue in the past few months, I also have that issue on my Android device.

In the log I am about to upload I have noted the times where I have started the movie. I have tried to do two different movies, the one I was having trouble with tonight, and the one I had trouble with last. Interestingly, the one I had trouble with last time (skipped forward at the same spots for every source) this time it was not skipping at all anymore. When I tried playing that film before, I was working on it for a couple hours trying to figure out how to stop it, to no avail.

For the log I started playing the problem movie at 1:15 a.m. it played for about 43 seconds and skipped what I could count, nine times. At 1:19 a.m. I tried to play the second film that I had troubles with before but there is no skipping. At 1:22 a.m., I went back to the first movie to play again. It skipped at the same places again so I would assume that the log would be nearly identical to when I played it at 1:15 a.m.

I was hoping that it's not a problem with the sources, but to me it seems like it is not, the fact that the movie I had previously had trouble with was no longer skipping makes it seem that way. The issue with the movies skipping at exactly the same spot is a new issue, it wasn't like that before. Just seems to be getting progressively worse as time goes on, happens more often. When I had this problem a year ago, I would usually just restart Kodi and it would work again. After a few episodes, it would start skipping so I would restart an play again. I have been using Exodus. I tried to do the external media thing with VLC to see if it skipped there. I have been working on it for hours and cannot get it to open in VLC. The menu will show on right click "Play using.." but when I click on VLC, it loads like usual then starts playing in the Kodi player. I tried using a few different versions I found with the "player core factory.xml" html, and have made sure the pathway goes to my program files and VLC extension, but to no avail. I have tried turning the hardware acceleration on and off, and the DVXA. Just a few things I've tweaked from the little info I've found online, though the results of my searches seemed similar to my issues, but not exact.

Here is the link to the log. http://Https://paste.ubuntu.com/25168263/

Thank you

Edit: After writing this, I found out about Colossus and Covenant. I installed both, and went to the same video and it still had the skipping issue. So I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Kodi, only installed the Colossus and Covenant add-ons, but I am still facing the same issue, skipping in the same parts.

I have checked on my android device, and the video plays just fine, and there are only 8 sources so I was able to check them all. I would just use my phone for Kodi, but I must mirror the screen to my tv, it overheats my phone within 30 minutes in the summer.

Thanks in advance for any help, this is really starting to get downright frustrating.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:17:42 am by Lisaxaphona »

ttown

Re: Video skips/jumps ahead
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:32:07 am »
there is alot going on in this post, so I'm going to answer the easy one first ... simply uninstall Indigo from programs, it's associated with TVAddons which is shutdown until further notice, that's why you have the error

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 11:58:03 am »
+1
Yes I was going to say uninstall indigo for sure, not only is it dead with no updates coming, you can see from the log you posted that it can't even clear your cache so it's totally useless.
You said when searching for skipping you would find results for buffering. The two can be related at times. I would start with some of the buffering fixes out there, tweaking kodi settings and the cache size.
I would also get something to replace indigo that would automatically clear the cache, packages, and thumbnails. There are many wizards around to do this. Good luck and let us know how you are progressing

Lisaxaphona

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 09:26:12 pm »
there is alot going on in this post, so I'm going to answer the easy one first ... simply uninstall Indigo from programs, it's associated with TVAddons which is shutdown until further notice, that's why you have the error

Well the problem is, I have had this problem for a very very long time, before tvaddons went down. Regardless, I still completely uninstalled Kodi, and when I reinstalled it the only add-on I put on there was the Colossus Repo, then installed Covenant. It is having the same issue still, skipping in the same spots. However when I try to watch the video on my phone (which still has Indigo and Exodus) the video plays fine.
When trying to play the video on my PC, the debug says I am only using about 30% on my CPU (though my memory is frequently at 50%, even when nothing is running on my PC at all)

Thanks for your response.

Lisaxaphona

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 09:31:50 pm »
+1
Yes I was going to say uninstall indigo for sure, not only is it dead with no updates coming, you can see from the log you posted that it can't even clear your cache so it's totally useless.
You said when searching for skipping you would find results for buffering. The two can be related at times. I would start with some of the buffering fixes out there, tweaking kodi settings and the cache size.
I would also get something to replace indigo that would automatically clear the cache, packages, and thumbnails. There are many wizards around to do this. Good luck and let us know how you are progressing

Kodi has been completely uninstalled. That is interesting about the cache not clearing anymore because its dead.
I have used the Ares Wizard to apply the advancedsettings.xml document with the cache. Before I discovered Ares Wizard, I had created the advancedsettings document myself. When the video is skipping, and on others that don't, it shows the video usually loading to about half way fairly quickly.

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 09:52:03 pm »
Have you done,
System/addons/my addons/video player inputstream and enable both items?

Settings/player/videos/processing/ disable allow hardware acceleration- DXVA2?

Lisaxaphona

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 10:50:51 pm »
Have you done,
System/addons/my addons/video player inputstream and enable both items?

Settings/player/videos/processing/ disable allow hardware acceleration- DXVA2?

I have tried the inputstream setting, I was hoping that would fix it but sadly it did not.
I have tried to turn off and on the hardware acceleration.

Since my phone played fine, I went in and compared ALL the settings, and they were all the same besides a few like the hardware acceleration in my phone had a different name than "DVXA2" which I assume the rest of the different (missing) settings are just because its an Android phone compared to a PC.
I also went into the user data folders and everything is the same there besides the cache size, understandably.

I found one thread that seemed like a similar problem, they said they edited the <cache>  <hard disk> number in guisesettings.xml. I multiplied the number a few times, but didn't make any difference.

It also says under system-video-file lists to turn off "Extract tumbnails and video information" but I'm having trouble finding that setting. This was for the confluence skin in previous versions.

I have also removed my cordless mouse with usb. I'm going to remove my keyboard next and see if that helps.

This is the thread I found, probably the only one I could find that really describes my issue (besides the fact that it now skips at the same time every play, vs before it seemed random.)

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=88130

Lisaxaphona

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 11:16:57 pm »
I have unplugged the keyboard, no difference.

I just went into my Intel Graphics card properties (one website suggested doing this for 'better viewing experience')
I turned everything off, including all color correction, edge enhancement, de-noise, dynamic contrast, smooth video, and other settings.
I also pressed the  backslash \ key to exit out of full screen. Now when I play it, it skips less. So before I had around 9 skips in the first minute now it is maybe 5.
I'm wondering if it is my graphics card. Especially since the past few months it has gotten worse and worse. So I have messed with the settings and turned off the driver settings, instead making it follow 'application settings' and it is skipping and jumping forwards less.

I can put up another log now that I've gotten a fresh install with Kodi. The only addons I have are Ares Wizard and Covenant. I wasn't sure if anyone here knew how to read them though
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:36:02 am by Lisaxaphona »

Lisaxaphona

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 04:04:58 am »
Don't know if anyone out there can help. It seems like it is still getting worse, happening more and more often. Is it possible it is my hardware malfunctioning?
Anything else I can try?