KodiTips Forums

!!

Sign up for a free KodiTips forum account and discuss Kodi tips and tricks. Get help for your Kodi problems and join in the conversation today.

Kodi Writing to External Storage

CanuckInOzz

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Kodi Writing to External Storage
« on: March 10, 2018, 11:50:31 pm »
How do you make Kodi capable of writing to external storage (NAS, USB stick)?  I can write to external storage from other Android apps on the same device, but for some reason Kodi sees all external storage as Read Only.

Kodi 17.6
Android 6.0.1

Thanks for your help.

flhthemi

• +20/-2
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
Re: Kodi Writing to External Storage
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 06:59:36 pm »
What data are you trying to write to NAS/external device? All my installs of Kodi get my favorites.xml from my NAS as well as write to it.
My NAS also has a folder for the backgrounds that all my Kodi's use
Most of the addons that allow you to set a download path will write to either.
Some types of Kodi data, like your favorites file, have to be setup in the advancedsettings.xml file in a proper manner.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:03:58 pm by flhthemi »

CanuckInOzz

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 07:44:57 pm »
I am using MP3 Streams and have put the download path to the NAS or USB stick in the Custom Music Folder field.  Both fail when I try to download.  An entry is made in the Kodi log file that says "[ERRNO 30] Read-Only file system SMB".  When I use local storage it works fine.

flhthemi

• +20/-2
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:33:28 am »
It has been my experience some addons will and some addons won't write to my NAS. If your NAS is setup, or can be setup, to use NFS try that. It's more like a problem the dev of that particular addon needs to fix/change. I can send stuff via SMB to my NAS from any of the popular addons that allow downloads and setting a path for them in their settings. But XXX-odus and Video Devil won't do it. Both have to have a local folder to download to. So I assume it's something the dev needs to A) Want to fix or B) Just doesn't want it to work that way. :)

EDIT:

I installed MP3 Streams. It appears to me from the kodi log file the addon is not properly creating a folder for anything below the folder for the Artist Name. Locally in my music folder on a Windows install. It would not create any folder on my NAS using either the SMB or NFS paths to the NAS. I would say the addon has a bug and since it hasn't been updated since back in September It may not be getting support any longer. Nice addon though too bad it's got this bug in it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:16:04 am by flhthemi »

CanuckInOzz

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 05:27:47 pm »
I did notice that one time (only one time) the program created the top-level folder (I think it was Artist) but nothing under that.  I tried changing the folder structure in the addon, but it is very limited.  Was hoping to find a "No Structure" option so it just wrote the files to the designated folder.

Thanks for all your help.  It is a shame that you have to take the extra step of saving the data to local storage and then copying it across to the NAS.  Hopefully the developer will update the addon so that it has this functionality next release.

bor15

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 06:54:45 pm »
wrote out a reply then reread the OP and you were asking about android. Decided to leave my reply to see what people think.

On windows, wouldn't you be able to just map the location and just write to it like a local drive? this would negate the need to move the data.