KodiTips Forums

watching 4k movies

kevs1963

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
watching 4k movies
« on: July 26, 2017, 07:43:42 am »
Hi all, I have a Minix X8-H device and when trying to view 4k movies in kodi 16.1 the display usually breaks up and is impossible to watch. I have used different combo's of accelerator settings in video controls but have not been able to use one definitive setting that works. Does anyone have a similar problem or know how to remedy this issue, thanks.

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
Re: watching 4k movies
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:09:33 pm »
Normally Minix is a decent box but if memory serves me i think the X8-H is the S802 processor and i'm not sure if or how well they actually handled 4K... the X8-H-Plus was the S812 SoC which should handle most 4k streams, at least i know my boxes do as they use the S812 but are not minix... i think the  S802 struggles as the decode is software based while the Plus box uses a S812 which has hardware decode... I do have a friend thats running my OS (linux) on his X8-H-Plus and said it streams 4k movies much better then it did while still running under Android, he was getting alot of dropped frames and audio sync problems and a fair amount of kodi lockups which i'm sure were really Android issues, some of which were to many apps running in the background... As well he's using the newest version of Krypton which is where my current releases are at...

Generally Minix has a pretty good active group of developers and i'd suggest checking their 1st...

You could try shutting down as much of the Androids background noise to free up resources as that may help... Sometimes its not just in the fact that Androids got a pile of stuff running in the background but that some of those apps actually use the network connection to send tracking or other enduser info back to google which could disrupt the network stack and how the stream sits in it and gets serviced...

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 01:27:34 pm »
Hi all, I have a Minix X8-H device and when trying to view 4k movies in kodi 16.1 the display usually breaks up and is impossible to watch. I have used different combo's of accelerator settings in video controls but have not been able to use one definitive setting that works. Does anyone have a similar problem or know how to remedy this issue, thanks.

You need at least 25 Mbps down to run 4k.
I have only 12 Mbps and it's not watchable.
Recently sold a Kodi PC to an acquaintance
set it up for him ran the speedtest he gets 66 Mbps down.
Went straight to White Devil clicked on the 4k link
and bam! I was like damn it looks so good..... 

http://www.speedtest.net/

Moonroc

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 09:36:09 pm »
How can I enable 4k? My TV will do 4k at 30fps,but any faster and I just get a blue screen. My M8S box with Android 4.4 won't auto detect 4k and defaults to 1080p. I can force 4k @ 30Hz but then how do I set up Kodi?

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 09:06:15 pm »
Kodi if its setup to do 4k should allow you to pick your resolution in system and then the display area... what ever kodi is seeing being handed to it by the OS will appear in the resolution drop down menu...

note:  Not all M8S's are the same so what they actually support in their firmware and chipset can vary, theres a lot of clones that can be a bit dicy without the proper firmware...

If the box came from Eny then it should be a real M8S with a S812... I dont use Android but can say for sure under a Linux based system it works great... if your tv only supports 30fps Kodi should run that ok... the only thing you will notice is if your running rss feeds or something streaming on the home page it will move slower then with the faster fps...