KodiTips Forums

IP Vanish

blkcivicsi14

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
IP Vanish
« on: July 27, 2017, 06:46:51 pm »
I just signed up with IP Vanish, how would I get this to work on Kodi? I saw a YouTube video showing a download to the Fire TV using es explorer, is this the correct method?

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
Re: IP Vanish
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 06:58:36 pm »
Ipvanish has an app you can search for on the amazon home screen.
You can also use es file explorer, or the app called downloader is easier to navigate.

For the ipvanish app, go to the amazon home screen, then to the apps tab, then do your search
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:01:52 pm by TonyH »

blkcivicsi14

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 07:17:16 pm »
Thank you the downloader app worked perfectly! Once I login to my account and connect it should work, correct? Is there anything additional I need to do within Kodi?

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 08:03:57 pm »
Glad to hear it.
You don't need to do anything in kodi, but there are some settings in the ipvanish app that you can manage.
I like to have it connect on startup myself, and choose which server it connects to when starting.
The nice thing is you can open the app from the amazon home screen or within kodi under the programs tab.

dada

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:19:03 am »
Ok, I added IPVanish last night....connected....everything good...I guess. But my question is(again, I'm fairly new to this) what are the pros and cons of having a VPN? Reading around, some people say it's a must have, and others say it's not necessary and slows your connection down. I also added the app on my phone. When I disconnect from my phone does it disconnect from my firestick as well? or is that 2 different connections? Sorry if these are silly questions.

Buzz Marshall

• +11/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 10:43:37 am »
The idea behind using a VPN is that it allows you to use your existing internet connection to connect to one of a group of other servers placed elsewhere in the world and then traverse the Internet from that server so you appear to be coming from that point as far as anyone trying to see who you are...

Once your connected to the VPN provider and set up it will created a encrypted tunnel between the machine your running on and their server... that prevents anyone from seeing the actual traffic content in plaintext as its encrypted... so that helps protect your identiy...

Appearing to come from another county also helps with getting around geo-blocking that may have implications as far as to what you can see from that country... eg: here in Canada Netflix will steer you to their Canadian content distribution centers rather then allowing you to connect to their American content distribution center ( which has a lot more content then their Canadian offerings)... Uk was another example... Some places now require more then just a VPN to get around geo-blocking tho, so its not as effective as it was...

As far as your connection goes it depends on how you set it up and what features you've got in the VPN service you have purchased... basically tho its client based meaning if you've got it on a computer and then on your phone they usually are treated as 2 separate connections because each client on your device is independent from each other... VPN providers usually have limits on how many connections can be active simultaneously so you need to see what your package allows...

The other way would be to use your router to funnel all your inside Lan traffic thru the VPN by setting up the VPN connection via it... Some routers are better then others in how simple and effective that can be...

Thats basically how it works and why to use one...

Now for the downside... seeing as your going thru the VPN's servers it comes at the cost of bandwidth from your end... Some providers have better network infrastructure then others allowing the loss of bandwidth to be minimal where as others can be brutal...again it all comes down to who you use as a VPN service...

The general rule tho is to think of it like this... NO Vpn will ever Boost your bandwidth as it can only Reduce it, what ever its being used for and no matter who it is and how good they are its still a load on your connection because everything passing between your end and the VPN's server that your popping out onto the Internet from require resources and just naturally reduce your bandwidth... so the best you can do is try an keep those costs to a minimun by finding the best VPN for your needs...

On a finally note... everyones needs for a VPN vary and just because some seem to be more popular then others based on current marketing methods (Vpn's seem to be a hot market these days) does not mean it may be the best for what you need... as far as it being a requirement to view content its usually NOT required unless your trying to avoid geo-blocking of some type...

Hope that helps...

dada

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 11:08:47 am »
The idea behind using a VPN is that it allows you to use your existing internet connection to connect to one of a group of other servers placed elsewhere in the world and then traverse the Internet from that server so you appear to be coming from that point as far as anyone trying to see who you are...

Once your connected to the VPN provider and set up it will created a encrypted tunnel between the machine your running on and their server... that prevents anyone from seeing the actual traffic content in plaintext as its encrypted... so that helps protect your identiy...

Appearing to come from another county also helps with getting around geo-blocking that may have implications as far as to what you can see from that country... eg: here in Canada Netflix will steer you to their Canadian content distribution centers rather then allowing you to connect to their American content distribution center ( which has a lot more content then their Canadian offerings)... Uk was another example... Some places now require more then just a VPN to get around geo-blocking tho, so its not as effective as it was...

As far as your connection goes it depends on how you set it up and what features you've got in the VPN service you have purchased... basically tho its client based meaning if you've got it on a computer and then on your phone they usually are treated as 2 separate connections because each client on your device is independent from each other... VPN providers usually have limits on how many connections can be active simultaneously so you need to see what your package allows...

The other way would be to use your router to funnel all your inside Lan traffic thru the VPN by setting up the VPN connection via it... Some routers are better then others in how simple and effective that can be...

Thats basically how it works and why to use one...

Now for the downside... seeing as your going thru the VPN's servers it comes at the cost of bandwidth from your end... Some providers have better network infrastructure then others allowing the loss of bandwidth to be minimal where as others can be brutal...again it all comes down to who you use as a VPN service...

The general rule tho is to think of it like this... NO Vpn will ever Boost your bandwidth as it can only Reduce it, what ever its being used for and no matter who it is and how good they are its still a load on your connection because everything passing between your end and the VPN's server that your popping out onto the Internet from require resources and just naturally reduce your bandwidth... so the best you can do is try an keep those costs to a minimun by finding the best VPN for your needs...

On a finally note... everyones needs for a VPN vary and just because some seem to be more popular then others based on current marketing methods (Vpn's seem to be a hot market these days) does not mean it may be the best for what you need... as far as it being a requirement to view content its usually NOT required unless your trying to avoid geo-blocking of some type...

Hope that helps...
Helped a lot...thank you. I signed up for month to month....I'll give it a month and see how I like it

Buzz Marshall

• +11/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 11:20:29 am »
Thats a good way to approach this as you may find some work better for your needs then others and once you find one you like sometimes it pays to watch for sales which can amount to making it worthwhile... last time i held off for a bit and found the one i wanted which was about 10bux a month i ended getting it for 2 years for the price of 1 up front that brought the overall cost down to half...

sarah

• +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 01:18:22 pm »
The problem with Vpn's also is that some addons need them to work to watch channels in that particular country whilst other addons tell you their channels will work better without a Vpn.

Buzz Marshall

• +11/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 02:53:18 pm »
ya thats true...  the UK for example used to be all you needed was a VPN to get around their geo-blocking to watch most of the content there... now tho they require a british license as well..

VPN's for getting around geo-blocking are slowly becoming a waste as a lot of countries know a lot of the vpn's access points in their countries and have various methods of dealing with them... some will just not allow the vpn to pass anything while other methods entail throttling the traffic or to do drop and reconnect time outs on the wrapper packets for the stream itself which hinder the stream your trying to watch to the point one just gives on that stream... Media streams are wrapped in a transport packet in most cases of some type that slowly the sources for Country contained media are learning to manipulate to stop offshore or out of country viewing...

As an example here in Canada since Bell took over certain channels theres streams you can watch on-line with a computer or device that they have made a viewing client for so you can watch the stream from say your computer once the plug-in is installed... but when it comes to Kodi those channels even tho they have been scraped properly by some of the existing plug-ins they wont play anything... part of the reason is who-ever coded the plug-in does not know how to handle the TS stream wrappers and allow the stream to be viewed by the plug-in... it works tho on the computer because thats part of what their client software for your web browser is handling...

Personally i would never tell anyone to purchase a VPN these days for any reason other then keeping their privacy which is why i always stress the whole 5-eyes issue and were the VPN's head office they operate out of is located... its the business offices location that matters not their actual data servers location... the business office determines which Countries legislation the business falls under...so in our case ANY Vpn provider registered as US or Canadian operate under those appropriate laws... basically meaning if the NSA, FBI, CIA, CSIS or any of the other governments organizations want to make the case to track/log someone that VPN provider is obligated to obey, and even tho they all claim to not keep active logs on everyday stuff thats not the same thing as being ordered to specifically start logging someones traffic if ordered to do so, read the ads carefully and you see most vpn providers here that fall under 5-eyes never talk about how they handle orders to start tracking someone they mostly all talk about not keeping general day to day running logs on the whole system... where it goes after that and what actually happens is anyones guess as its usually done outside the knowledge of most people...

VPN's as they are i think is a smart move to protect yourself but seem to have become just another scare tactic as most of the dealers selling them are gaining something from pushing a certain product as know one does nothing for free these days... its just the nature of the net now...