KodiTips Forums

!!

Sign up for a free KodiTips forum account and discuss Kodi tips and tricks. Get help for your Kodi problems and join in the conversation today.

Question about subtitles

MsJackieO

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Question about subtitles
« on: April 17, 2019, 07:58:14 pm »
Hi gang,

1) Subtitles for released material
One thing I've never understood is why films & programmes that come with subtitles built in for when certain characters are speaking in a foreign language - Game of Thrones, District 9, The Revenant, The Thing (2011) - do not have the subtitles included on Kodi when they were released/broadcast with the subtitles included.

I'm not talking about English subtitles for an English-language film - which was always a special feature function on a DVD and not part of the standard version - just those segments of films that had to have subtitles due to a brief foreign-language section, such as Nazis or aliens talking.

I understand why some workprint copy doesn't have subtitles as it was leaked before post production was finished but there's no reason why a DVD rip of a film, or a copy of last week's Game of Thrones, doesn't have the subtitles it was sent out with.

2) Only one Exodus fork
One Exodus fork - Placenta - came with subtitles pre-included and it was easy to turn the on/off in-play via the subtitle option on the right side on the on-screen menu but no other forks do - not Poached, Elysium etc does anyone know why?

Thx

broknsymetry

• +7/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Question about subtitles
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 12:03:27 am »
1)  Embedded subtitles are part of the video stream and are not controlled by Kodi or its addons.  If a video was uploaded without the embedded subtitles then Kodi can not display them, nor can Kodi strip embedded subtitles out, that is why you sometimes see Korean/Chinese subtitles on some videos.  I just watched an episode of Hanna and the German dialog was displayed.

External subtitles are provided by a third party like OpenSubtitles.org where someone has taken the effort to transcribe the video script into whatever language they choose.  These subtitles are streamed separately from the video, that is why you sometimes have to play with the offset to match the dialog.  If the transcriber is an English speaker and does not understand the language on the video then they will leave that portion of the dialog blank.  Not all tv shows or movies have been transcribed, but you may become a contributor if you wish.

2)  I still only use Placenta with OpenScrapers (and some of my own modifications) and have little experience with other forks, but have you tried opening the configuration page for the other addons and choosing to enable subtitles?

MsJackieO

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Question about subtitles
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 11:53:10 am »
I'm not talking about those types of subtitles or films. I'm talking about shows like Star Trek and Game of Thrones that were broadcast with subtitles for specific characters that weren't speaking English. They were broadcast with subtitles included and that is what would be uploaded to Kodi - sometimes even the DVD versions - and so the subtitles should be present.