KodiTips Forums

Newbie here

Dvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Newbie here
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:00:35 am »
I'm new to this type of device configuration! Is there a beginners section as to how to build your own device with protection (VPN)? I've been reading all week and am very confused whether to build or just buy a preinstalled device! I talked with an aquantenance the other day and they talked about making sure you have a VPN for the device. He uses BlackNight, but I cannot find anything other than a blacknight Asus Router! I'm very confused, but eager to learn how to make my own device with just simple Kodi and YouTube! Thanks for any help and it's appreciated!

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:09:18 am »
What kind of device are you planning on installing kodi to? Computer, android box, fire stick, etc

Dvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:12:26 am »
Amazon Firestick with Alexa! I'm so tired of getting mixed information and I found this forum and am in hopes I can do this myself, with an expert in this forum!

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:29:51 am »
Start here, this is a basic video of how to install kodi on your firestick.

After you get it installed post your results here and we can help you further.

Dvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 10:31:42 am »
Thanks so much!  :)

ttown

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 11:44:15 am »
Amazon Firestick with Alexa! I'm so tired of getting mixed information and I found this forum and am in hopes I can do this myself, with an expert in this forum!

you'd get better results with the firebox (2GB RAM) and SPMC (Kodi fork) which has voice recognition thatll work with the voice remote

hatrix

• +16/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 12:10:19 pm »
if you don't already, then go ahead and purchase the newest model firestick or firebox depending on your budget, both will work fine.
Then proceed with following the video Tony posted.
A good starting list of addons to install would be:
Covenant, Sportsdevil, Elysium, RisingTides.
You will be able to find guides to install each on the www.koditips.com page.
Those should cover the basics of what you can get in kodi.
If there are specific things you are looking to watch let us know and we can point you in the right direction.

Dvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 12:14:20 pm »
Having a bit of trouble! At the point where I'm in the file manager part after I type in kodi no limits, then says click okay, it then says on my screen, the same as the video, but when I click kodi no limits, the screen isn't the same as the video. It says fresh start, lostbuilds, no limits, plugin.video.nolimitswizard.zip. What or where do to I click?  Also I set up my prime account as this stick asked me to do! Should I have not done that? I did get an email from Amazon showing me that I purchased for no money the downloader app. Hope I making sense here!

ttown

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 12:23:40 pm »
if you don't already, then go ahead and purchase the newest model firestick or firebox depending on your budget, both will work fine.
If there are specific things you are looking to watch let us know and we can point you in the right direction.

this forum is a joke, noobs teaching noobs
.. good luck

hatrix

• +16/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 12:24:31 pm »

this forum is a joke, noobs teaching noobs
.. good luck

??

hatrix

• +16/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 12:25:35 pm »
Having a bit of trouble! At the point where I'm in the file manager part after I type in kodi no limits, then says click okay, it then says on my screen, the same as the video, but when I click kodi no limits, the screen isn't the same as the video. It says fresh start, lostbuilds, no limits, plugin.video.nolimitswizard.zip. What or where do to I click?  Also I set up my prime account as this stick asked me to do! Should I have not done that? I did get an email from Amazon showing me that I purchased for no money the downloader app. Hope I making sense here!
is there a reason you want the no limits wizard/build?
Builds are convenient but not the smartest choice as addons can break and leave you hanging.

Dvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 12:26:59 pm »
ttown, i already have the newest firestick, but do you have a link for the box you're referring to with the other component? I would like to have a box, but was told by others the stick is the best to use! I'm a real newbie on this stuff! Thanks if you can lead me to what you're referring to for future purchasing! 🤗

hatrix

• +16/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 12:28:30 pm »
ttown, i already have the newest firestick, but do you have a link for the box you're referring to with the other component? I would like to have a box, but was told by others the stick is the best to use! I'm a real newbie on this stuff! Thanks if you can lead me to what you're referring to for future purchasing! 🤗
the firestick is best for being compact and out of the way but it isn't the most powerful set up.
This is the amazon box ttown was referring to.
http://a.co/byM7SGc

Dvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 12:30:12 pm »
I followed the video that was to show me step by step. I posted what it was doing and I couldn't go further because my screen was different on my tv as to what the video said to do! I am stuck waiting to hear what I should do from you or someone to get me set up properly! Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:33:24 pm by Dvan »

hatrix

• +16/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 12:34:13 pm »
I followed the video that was to show me step by step. I posted what it was doing and I couldn't go further because my screen was different on my tv as to what the video said to do! I am stuck waiting to hear what I should do from you or someone to get me set up properly! Thanks!
i found an install video for the exact build/wizard you are trying to get
skip to 18:20 in the video.

Dvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 12:35:55 pm »
I'll check that box out, once I can't get done setting this stick totally up! Thank you! Hopefully someone will help me figure out where I go from my stopping point from the. Idea I was watching to do this set up!

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 12:36:51 pm »
My fault, I forgot about the end of the video showing you how to install the wizard etc, you don't need to do any of that, sorry.
Once you have kodi installed you just need to decide what addons you want to install in kodi. There are some better for movies, others better for sports, live tv, etc.
I would recommend you install Covenant first, just open up kodi and follow these directions.
http://koditips.com/covenant-kodi-install-new-exodus-addon/
Let us know how it goes

P.S. you don't need to finish the steps in the video I linked to you. Once kodi is installed you can stop the video and follow the directions in the link above. I did not intend to confuse you..
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:40:12 pm by TonyH »

Dvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 12:42:56 pm »
OK, I'm getting very confused! TonyH submitted the video for me to watch to download Kodi and then I was to come back after I got it downloaded. Unfortunately, the video said one thing, but my fire stick said something different while installing Kodi! What should I do at this point? I'm stuck not knowing what I'm doing...actually 😩....thanks for any help!

Dvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 12:48:33 pm »
TonyH, okay I'll go to that link and hopefully I'll get convanent on without a hiccup! 😊

Dvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 01:11:47 pm »
Maybe I shouldn't be doing this, there's a hiccup!

NOTE: If you prefer, you can manually download the zip file from Github here and skip to step #5 below.
From the Kodi main menu, navigate to SYSTEM > File Manager > Add Source > None
Type the following EXACTLY http://tinyurl.com/colossusrepo and select Done
Highlight the box underneath and enter a name for this media Source like “colossus”. and then click OK
Go back to your home screen.
ON Kodi 17 Krypton or later: Select Add-ons > Add-on Browser
ON Kodi 16 or earlier: Select SYSTEM > Add-Ons
Select Install from Zip File > “colossus” > Repository.colosus-999.999.2.zip and wait for the Add-on enabled notification

....the next thing that happened was something came up and I clicked on it and now my screen has a list of downloads, starting with addon.xml....but there is nothing that says anything about covenant to install.

I clicked on Repository.colosus-999.999.2.zip from the new list And now the new list has addon.xml, changinglog.text, fan art.jpg and icon.png....the screen has 2 sides...not sure why, but there are arrows pointing to each side?!

The next sentence below is the last part to install it. Could it be the zip file didn't actually do what it was supposed to do? Or I messed up somehow?!

How do I complete the install if covenant is not there?

Help! I'm stuck again  😩

Select Install from Repository > Colossus repository > Video Add-ons > Covenant > Install
Wait for Add-on enabled notification

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 01:51:40 pm »
Ok, for the easiest way, don't install the zip file from github, that's just in case the repository is not working. Just follow steps one through seven while your in kodi and it should work fine.

Just a note, when you install an add on from the repository the addon will receive updates when they are available. If you download the zip from github you would need to push that file to your firestick from a computer
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:56:04 pm by TonyH »

Dvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 02:48:33 pm »
TonyH, in the File manager, I have these items, not sure what is suppose to be in there, but I don't have covenant!

Colossus
Kodi No Limits
Profile Directory
Add source

How do I get Covenant? Exactly what is covenant?

Also, is there a VPN that should be used also! I've read that we have to have this! Have you ever heard of BlackNight?

I'm very confused as to what or to continue configuring this device! Thanks for the continued guidance!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:16:42 pm by Dvan »

hatrix

• +16/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 02:52:16 pm »
TonyH, in the File manager, I have these items, not sure what is suppose to be in there, but I don't have covenant!

Colossus
Kodi No Limits
Profile Directory
Ass source

How do I get Covenant? Exactly what is covenant?

Also, is there a VPN that should be used also! I've read that we have to have this! Have you ever heard of BlackNight?

I'm very confused as to what or to continue configuring this device! Thanks for the continued guidance!
you dont install covenant through file manager,
its through the addon screen u click on addon manager and choose either install from zip or installl for repo

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 03:02:51 pm »
Covenant is an addon that lets you watch movies and tv shows.
Follow these steps now..

Go back to your home screen.
ON Kodi 17 Krypton or later: Select Add-ons > Add-on Browser
ON Kodi 16 or earlier: Select SYSTEM > Add-Ons
Select Install from Zip File > “colossus” > Repository.colosus-999.999.2.zip and wait for the Add-on enabled notification
Select Install from Repository > Colossus repository > Video Add-ons > Covenant > Install
Wait for Add-on enabled notification

Let's get you set up then discuss VPNs as not to confuse the two subjects. I have not personally heard of Blacknight. I use IPvanish, it's a paid VPN

Dvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2017, 03:13:46 pm »
I can only choose the

.6.zip

What happened to the .2 zip file I clicked on?

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 03:32:39 pm »
Must have been updated, just use the .6 zip

Dvan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2017, 03:51:47 pm »
I put covenant on and it's the 999.999.6 version, possibly the newest update!

Now, I'm not going to do anything else unless I can hear from someone from the forum here. I've no idea what I'm doing really. Sorry I've never done anything like this!

So how do I know what's on this thing? I'm not going to look at anything from the menus list, because I know from reading, we need a VPN!

Sorry I didn't see your message and it must've come through while I was typing this one. It's probably the updated version.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:53:20 pm by Dvan »

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 04:55:04 pm »
There are different opinions as to weather VPNs are needed or not.
I have only used IPvanish on my kodi setups. I think it cost around $10.00 per month.
It's easy to set up though.
After you go online and set up a subscription, write down your username and password.
Go to the amazon home screen, over to the apps button, click there and do a search for IPvanish. You install the app from here. Once installed, open the IPvanish app and go into the settings and enter your username and password. In the settings you can also set it to 'run on startup'

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2017, 05:03:06 pm »
In my opinion it's perfectly safe to open Covenant and play a movie and check out the menu/ get acquainted with how to navigate to and in the app. Try to play a movie or tv show to see if it's working.
If your not interested in exploring around kodi, changing settings, and learning new stuff, then maybe installing a build would be best for you.
A kodi build is a skin setup with the designers choice of addons already installed and set up. Installing a build is just about the same as how you just installed Covenant. You could just search the internet for kodi builds until you see one you like and there should be a video on his to install them.
Most people on here prefer to set up kodi themselves so it looks and acts the way you want.

hatrix

• +16/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2017, 05:03:47 pm »
You've probably seen talk about vpns everywhere online due to so many sites pluggin their affiliate links to them.
I don't use a vpn and know many others who don't. Unless you have a strict internet provider or are actually downloading files, you should be fine.