KodiTips Forums

Can't install kodi

DS30

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Can't install kodi
« on: August 02, 2017, 11:50:13 pm »
So I've never had this issue before, and I'm not sure what to do; I bought a new box and it has KD player instead of kodi.   I tried every which way I know of, plus a few videos from YouTube,  and kodi won't install,  saying the device isn't compatible.  It's an mxq pro, and,  according to the device,  has android 6.0.  Other message I get when I try to do it manually is the parsing error message.  Does anyone have a solution?

flhthemi

• +10/-0
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
Re: Can't install kodi
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:01:45 am »
Are you trying to get Kodi from the PLay Store or from >https://kodi.tv/download/852?

And, are you sure of the Android version you have being the correct version for your Box? There are different versions for different processors.

DS30

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 11:31:35 am »
I've tried both ways.  From the play store it says it's not compatible,  from the website, I get the parsing error no matter what I try. I mean, it's obviously possible that I overlooked something,  but...and I tried different versions.  The "arm" version  is the key version, no?

Buzz Marshall

• +27/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 11:43:39 am »
The only thing that comes to mind... is the mxq pro was a S905 based SoC which was Android 5.1 so if Android 6 is on the box it makes me wonder if somethings happened with how the box got its firmware updated to Android 6 and by who...

One of the lines defining the differences between the S905 and S905x SoCs was the version of Android from the factory... S905's came with Android 5.1 based firmware... so maybe the way the play store is seeing the box its trying to give you a version of Kodi not compatible with what it thinks you need...

hatrix

• +25/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 12:04:12 pm »
have you tried spmc?

flhthemi

• +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 12:08:21 pm »
Isn't it a 64 bit SoC? If it is it should use the 64 bit Android ArmV8A version, right?

And isn't Kodi Krypton compatible with Android version 5+?

What is KD Player? A port of Kodi? If that's the case I would be removing it and starting fresh with either Kodi 17 or SPMC if that didn't work.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:11:54 pm by flhthemi »

DS30

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 12:18:54 pm »

What is KD Player? A port of Kodi? If that's the case I would be removing it and starting fresh with either Kodi 17 or SPMC if that didn't work.

KD player is a kodi rip off.

What's spmc?

I removed it and tried bit the 32 bit amf 64 bitARM versions for kodi . Should I try the x86 for shits and giggles?

hatrix

• +25/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 12:21:50 pm »
spmc is the most supported and reliable kodi fork. it runs and looks just like kodi

Buzz Marshall

• +27/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 01:04:16 pm »
Ya they are both 64bit but the version of Kodi that runs on 5.1 maybe different then whats current for 6... thats all i am saying...

when the S905's were released the boxes were all on Android 5.1 not 6... it was when the 905X was released they were all up to Android 6...

so because hes saying the playstore says it not compatible it may be because of who or however his box was updated to Android 6 firmware... theres a lot of clones out there that used other products software and it wouldn't be the 1st time some box that was on 5.1 and got someones firmware update that moved it up to Android 6 left behind a remnant of some type that even tho its on 6 the play store wants to give him something else and thus thinks its not compatible...

Thats all i am saying...

Spmc is a decent product but i would not say its the best supported as it depends on the box your actually using... Products like OpenElec and LibreElec are probably better supported if your using hardware that those products are being developed on... Spmc is closer to a more complete Linux install tho and if thats what your looking for is a good choice...  In the end tho it really comes down to what actual box you have and that means motherboard not brand or model name as theres so many clones with variations that the only real common hardware part is the actual Amlogic SoC not the extra chips like wifi, bluetooth and networking... which is why some boxes work great while others only partially work...

The other thing that needs to be considered is any of the S90x SoC's are extremely week with the mali drivers and and user space code which is a another reason why moving up to Android 6 is important on them but can be a drawback when it comes to Linux based OS's on S90x SoC's... Linux based os's on those SoC's have poor support which is why S912 based box'es have NO userspace support from Amlogic when it comes to running any linux system... thats why people have been forced to swipe the Android 6 userspace code and put a wrapper around it to try and use it on linux based systems... doing so does not give you all the benefits of the faster mali hardware tho...

anyways... i digress... just no saying anything is the most supported or best is a tough thing to say these days as theres so many variables these days in making something truly reliable... i do agree tho Spmc is definately worth looking at and it really is actual Kodi just compiled for linux instead of Android thats all...

sarah

• +10/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 01:24:16 pm »
I also read that EBMC is good too.

flhthemi

• +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 02:26:17 pm »
I wonder if re-flashing the firmware or if there might be a custom ROM that would fix things up....

So I checked here and found this thread and then searched the thread for "Kodi" and read a post or two that say it's good and fast.

I don't know if this will work on your MX Pro but you can determine that or maybe someone with more knowledge can help with it.

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905/others-ac/firmware-roms-tools-bj/637014-rom-image-firmware-mxq-pro-4k-p201-android-tv-atv-by-coolio

Note that you might have to create a login ID to be able to get the downloads....

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 04:14:21 pm by flhthemi »

Buzz Marshall

• +27/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 03:03:03 pm »
good post... Freaktab is probably on of the best places to find Android box related information and custom roms...

my only caution is to make sure you get the right firmware for the actual box hardware you have and not to just blindy try and install what you think may work otherwise you hang your box and need help to restore the proper bootloader...

theres lots of good stuff on the site tho and a some good coders that have threads running there on the various models... glad you posted that... i was thinking bout posting that but wasn't sure if posting outside links like that were ok...