KodiTips Forums

kodi log info

jerseyite

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
kodi log info
« on: August 03, 2017, 06:39:21 pm »
I keep getting check kodi log info, well I finally found where to find the log on my builds ,it must be a mile long or longer, can't understand anything that is printed, want to know where and how I can remove everything from there, not tech smart so I need things explained very simply, I'm 83 so brain gets a little fried, ty for any help I can get lol

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
Re: kodi log info
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 07:26:42 pm »
The log starts over every time kodi is shut off and starts again unless your looking at older logs.
You can install the log viewer addon from the official kodi repository that is pre installed in kodi. What errors are you getting?

Buzz Marshall

• +11/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 08:00:55 pm »
Depending on the platform your running on you can just take the kodi.log or any of the backed up older ones and pitch them if you want...

Everytime kodi boots it creates the kodi.log fresh if theres not one present when it starts... otherwise it may append to the exisiting one or take the exsisting one and make it a backed up version and then create the new one...

Either way you can pitch any of them without fear of hurting anything...

If your trying to learn to interpret and understand the file i find it helps to pitch the kodi.log file and then start kodi up and once its booted and running you can see from looking at the current log what all gets loaded and in what order till you've reached the normal kodi home screen... then once you got a feel for that you can see from that point forward what gets written into the log as you open and do more things...

You can use the add-in log viewer for kodi but personally i find it to small of a window to really see the bigger picture as it creates a lot of scrollable small windows... I use it tho when i want to quickly look for something specific... but for normal use when i want to see the bigger picture i open the log up with a normal file viewer where it allows me to see much more of the sequential nature of the log in one shot... notepad or any text editor will do... i use sublime text...

Where the files are located is dependent on the platform your running on will be slightly different but basically the logs work the same on them all...

You can adjust the level of logging in Kodi's settings as well the advancedsettings.xml file can be used to help control the level and type of stuff going into the log files...

jerseyite

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 11:51:29 pm »
I have fire tv, when I had a built and tried to play a movie using the different players like exodus etc., I get the kodi log info , I opened the Ares wizard, went over to upload kodi log and there were loads of files and warnings,, don't know how to get rid of them so I closed kodi , went to manage my apps and cleared data and cache, right now I have no built , just kodi, where do I go for the kodi-in log and how do I do that pitch that you talk about, I need to know in very simple steps how to do that , ty for answering me

Buzz Marshall

• +11/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 10:01:58 am »
hm... I've never actually looked at the Fire TV boxes so unfortunately i've not actually seen how their file system is laid out so i can't give you exact answers... Normally tho on the small android type of boxes with a small flash the main system is mounted as read only and loads and runs live in ram while part of the flash is setup as read/write and holds all the user info... normally with in the kodi app itself either in the root of the userdata folder or a temp folder theres the kodi.log file and maybe some older files that have been backed up...

Maybe one of the guys around here that are actually familiar with the Fire TV boxes can help with more specifics...

Sorry i can't much further other then general way kodi handles things in this case...

jerseyite

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 10:16:00 am »
thank you for your reply just hope someone else can help me , don't want to do another build until I can get this fixed

TonyH

• +22/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 10:43:38 am »
If your running a clean install of kodi now there is no real reason to mess with the log at all. The easiest way for you to read the log on your fire tv would be with the log viewer app. Install it as you would any other addon. It in the kodi repository under program addons.
If your looking to install addons check out the kodi tips site for detailed installation instructions.
http://koditips.com/
Hope this helps