Backup problems

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
Backup problems
« on: August 04, 2017, 06:25:02 am »
Hi friends

I'm having Backup problems.

I've got Backup program addon, Community Wizard, Ares Wizard, Smash Wizard and also a newer version of Indigo, but when i set the Backup trail to send addons to a pendrive, they basically all give me as 'storage/0000-0000/9508' and other variations of this.

Backup starts on it's own but nothing goes to the pendrive and i don't actually know where they are going!

Help please.

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Backup problems
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 09:41:59 am »
Sounds like its going thru the motions but not actually writing anything to the disk... need more information about the device and os your running on... could be something regarding permissions or i notice you've got quite a mix of wizzards installed and it could be possible they are interfering with each other...

Indigo i'd pitch right off the bat and it was designed to take control over the device while messing with non TVA stuff and with that site now gone its probably dead anyways... I don't like nor trust any of the wizard type of  appz like Ares or the old TVA or SuperRepo stuff is they sit in the background running and monitoring while talking to their home servers and go way beyond just trying to create a good update system... I realize people like the conveniance they offer but seeing as python is pretty much replaced what programmers used in the old days for server side control theres a lot power for bad intentioned hackers that can feed live code down into the devices they have access to and thats not something i think people should just blindly give up to anyone on line... technically they're not much different then a bot-net because your trust is placed in the ones controlling the home servers... Don't get me wrong as i am not saying thats what the Ares guys are doing but i would have thought after Exodus being used to do DDOS to some others sites earlier this year people would have wised up a bit about things and the trust they are placing with people they don't actually know...

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 12:13:05 pm »
Hi  -

this is my Android box - Review: H96 PRO PLUS S912 3GB RAM 4K Android TV Box -
http://www.wirelesshack.org/review-h96-pro-plus-s912-3gb-ram-4k-andriod-tv-box.html

Tried 2 different pendrives with the same problems

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 01:05:09 pm »
You got a big flash at 32gig so as long as theres enough free space still left i would maybe try backing up to that internal flash just to see if it works... if it does then you know theres a issue with the backup your using not liking the external pendrive for some reason...

Sometimes depending on the OS the external flash doesn't get mounted properly or in a manner that the backup software being used can see it right and it might take a bit to figure out where the issue really lays...

Did the backup function your trying to use ever actually work before?  if so can you think of anything that you've added or changed since it last worked... if yes you may have to try un-installing whatever it is you've added and see if the issue goes away...

Those are the kinds of things that i would start looking at to see if you can try and narrow down what may have happened... If its never worked then i think i would try and pick one of the backup appz your using and uninstall the others just to see if there stepping on each other in some way... Pick one that you know is known to work to try...

I only mentioned the Indigo app because it was a well known issue with it trying to prevent non TVA apps from being installed as well as taking over the box's management which was supposed be corrected after a lot of upset people complained about what he did but most just un-installed it instead, it was mostly popular with the dumber and lazier dealer types anyways...

I don't use Android any more but over the years i have run across a few issues with it not liking external flash's for one reason or another which usually i traced backed to permission problems of some type...

Nice box but i'll give you a heads up... don't attempt to go down the linux road on any S912 box as theres NO legal userspace drivers for the mali T820's chip... Amlogic never bought the Mali DDK and said they won't so they cant release one for linux leaving the S912 condemned to Android... the only way requires someone to produce that driver with a bootleg copy of the Mali DDK which could open themselves up for being sued over licensing issues... its to bad cause the S912 SoC really flies on Linux and probably would outperform the nvidea boxes...

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 01:19:17 pm »
Thanks for your answer Buzz.

Think i'll uninstall all the wizards and Indigo and only leave the Backup Program Addon and then try a new pendrive and see if the box likes it better!

I would like to keep a copy of the addons i have presently in my Kodi for any eventuality and/or for copying to another box.

steve43

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 11:36:30 am »
Hi Sara.
I have been using this method, since i found the walkthrough, you can back up kodi to use on any device android, pc etc
here is the link hxxp://bestforkodi.com/transfer-you-kodi-build-from-one-device-to-another/
just replace  xx with tt
Hope this helps

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 12:53:55 pm »
@steve - i'll check this out and thanks.

@Buzz - I deleted Indigo and all the Wizards and just left Backup addon but the same thing happens like it's backing-up somewhere (don't know where although i set path to USB) but nothing goes on the pendrive and it also says that not all files could be copied!  Really weird!

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 02:09:39 pm »
Yea.....this can be one of the tricky aspects of Kodi tho easy to solve.
the flash drive HAS to be empty and rename it kodi build
the flash drive HAS to be at least as large as the build itself 1GB should
work unless you have ton of addons and favortes.
I had a 6GB build at one time with 62,000 files
and folders so I had to use a 8GB drive.
make sure the drive is MOUNTED.
in other words the OS MUST recognize the drive is there.
if the OS does not recognize the drive the backup will never work
I use the plain old backup that has a floppy disk picture on the icon

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 02:30:45 pm »
Thank you Dave - i also use the Backup that has a floppy disk picture.

i'll be trying a new pendrive and see.

Much obliged.

Yea.....this can be one of the tricky aspects of Kodi tho easy to solve.
the flash drive HAS to be empty and rename it kodi build
the flash drive HAS to be at least as large as the build itself 1GB should
work unless you have ton of addons and favortes.
I had a 6GB build at one time with 62,000 files
and folders so I had to use a 8GB drive.
make sure the drive is MOUNTED.
in other words the OS MUST recognize the drive is there.
if the OS does not recognize the drive the backup will never work
I use the plain old backup that has a floppy disk picture on the icon

TonyH

• +28/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 10:04:14 pm »
Sarah, I forgot what hardware your using.
An amazon fire tv needs and flash drive to be formatted as FAT32 or it wont work.
Not sure if that's true for your android box, or maybe your in windows....
Just wanted to throw that out there

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 02:35:28 am »
@ Tony   -    My box details are in reply nr 2 in this thread.
I tried another pendrive but still same problem.

TonyH

• +28/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 02:53:23 am »
Ah, sorry, I was being lazy.
Did you try to format the pendrive to FAT32 before inserting it in your box?

EdT

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 11:14:40 pm »
Use SD-Card Wizard instead !

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 05:07:13 am »
So now i know more about this problem!

I have 3 boxes, 2 of them have 16.1 and i tried the same pendrive on these 2 boxes and with the same Backup Program Addon to backup - everything was backed up ok!!

It's the box with the 17.1 which is giving me the problems.

On the other 2 boxes when i set the path it comes fine like: usb/sda1/kodi folder, and backup of addons are all there!

On the 17.1 when i set the path it shows as usb/9805.2333/but doesn't backup on the pendrive.

???????? - weird problem!

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 02:08:27 pm »
Hi Sarah.
I've never seen one of these in action including the fire stick.
How many 3rd party addons 'enabled' does this come with and when you go to
the 'get more' list what is the number and does it include any favorites?
Thanks for any info.     

flhthemi

• +8/-0
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 05:22:35 pm »
So now i know more about this problem!

I have 3 boxes, 2 of them have 16.1 and i tried the same pendrive on these 2 boxes and with the same Backup Program Addon to backup - everything was backed up ok!!

It's the box with the 17.1 which is giving me the problems.

On the other 2 boxes when i set the path it comes fine like: usb/sda1/kodi folder, and backup of addons are all there!

On the 17.1 when i set the path it shows as usb/9805.2333/but doesn't backup on the pendrive.

???????? - weird problem!

Seems to me I recall 17.3 had this fixed...but I'm an old dude so I suffer from CRS syndrome now and then. But you could probably check the Kodi site for 17.3's change log. If I can find it I'll come back to this post and edit it.

EDIT

Nah nothing mentioned other than 17.3 fixed a security flaw. So maybe it was 17.2 but the change log doesn't mention it.

Why not update to 17.3 and see if it works?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:28:25 pm by flhthemi »

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 02:12:52 am »
It seems that the backup is going to the internal storage of the box not on the stick.
One has to install es file Explorer and tick the Show hidden files box.
Look for a folder named :   .kodi
Backup is in it - copy and paste to the stick and it's solved!

But I'll post a video of this solution soon.

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 05:15:24 am »