KodiTips Forums

Build or addons

pete_e

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Build or addons
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:37:27 am »
Hello
My first post. What is better, putting a full build on an Android box or individual add-ons?

K4Me

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Build or addons
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 12:10:57 pm »
What is best is what works for you. A build will include lots of addons and introduce to lots of sites that you may not be familiar with. You may not be interested in many of these and if you have a limited then just a few addons may be sufficient. Try as many as you can and then pick what suits you best.

hatrix

• +27/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 12:16:16 pm »
builds are nice, but starting fresh and doing it yourself is half the fun. You will learn alot and when you have problems, may actually be able to fix them.

nahidl

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 03:15:56 pm »
builds are nice, but starting fresh and doing it yourself is half the fun. You will learn alot and when you have problems, may actually be able to fix them.

I agree with this. I started with the TVAddons build on Kodi 15.x. When they stopped that and you needed to install the latest version of Kodi and then use the config wizard I decided to install only the addons I wanted. Was great as I learned a lot about installing multiple repos and how to install addons myself. I now prefer my setup over a build I have on my other android box.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 03:17:08 pm »
K4Me hit the nail on the head.  I am pretty new to the whole Kodi thing, compared to some, but having builds available at the beginning really helped me find the things that I like and realize what things I'll never use.  Now I can start from scratch and select just those add-ons that I've come to love and ditch the rest. 

Vicrattlehead

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 04:27:45 pm »
For android boxes I never use a build expecially when alot of builds run heavy will all the flashy widgets and things and can bog down certain boxes and cause the box to lock up. If you want to run a build on and Android box. Make sure you research the build and know the specs of your Android box. There are some lite builds that do run on android boxes but do the research first before install it this can save you from headaches down the road.

RealTV

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 11:03:28 pm »
Plan and simple.  My opinion.....builds suck.  Learn how to clean install.  You want to run a streaming device.  Learn how to use it the way kodi offers it.

gersey

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 01:00:46 am »
I agree with RealTv builds suck they are bloated and contain mostly useless add-ons learn how to do your own installs you will be much happier

pete_e

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 02:01:12 am »
Thanks guys, this really helped
I'm going to have a go at a clean install & get the add-ons I like

sarah

• +10/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 06:48:32 am »
Addons for me - always!

rosario04

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 12:33:10 pm »
Newwbie here. Hello all.  I also am going to straight addons. I removed all the repositories and kept the addons i wanted. My question is, will the addons auto update when the default is "auto update" without the repo installed?

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 03:17:20 pm »
Since my needs are simple, addons are my way to go.  I've tried a couple builds.  They ran well, but were too cluttered for my taste.  KISS

TonyH

• +39/-3
  • You have a 50-50 chance if you follow my advice 😂
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 04:06:44 pm »
Addons for sure. I'm in the process of learning how to make my own build and wizard. Should be fun

rosario04

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 05:38:37 pm »
My question is if you delete the repos will addons extracted from those repos auto update without the repo?  Thanks

Use2pay4cable

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 07:07:30 pm »
Since I started to use Kodi 3 years ago I have learned so much and still learning. if i was relying on other peoples builds I may have never learned how to do things myself,I do see benefits to using builds but I will stick to doing stuff myself.

HoneyBeagle

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 10:30:26 pm »
I find some of the builds are complicated.

Mobboro

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 09:57:50 am »
Setup your own personal build us the way to go and offer better performance for slower 1gb boxes. But builds is good for a simple quick fix for those who don't like messing with the technical aspects