best vpn
« on: August 21, 2017, 12:24:43 am »
What's the best pro VPN?

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
Re: best vpn
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 02:16:38 am »
You asked all these questions without even looking around on our forums.
The answers to your questions are all here - seek and you will find.

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 02:39:25 am »
You asked all these questions without even looking around on our forums.
The answers to your questions are all here - seek and you will find.

Perhaps google is not his friend...

Mookster

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 06:38:39 pm »
I am quite happy with Private Internet Access (PIA), great price, lots of world wide servers and no logs.

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 10:37:23 pm »
hm... I wont comment on their quality as thats really kinda irrelavent when it comes to the real purpose of why one should use a VPN and as far as the "no logs" statement goes... they all make the same complaint and saying "no logs" has nothing to do with how each particular VPN responds to a FISA warranty or a demand from the NSA to start logging someone...

Almost ALL vpn companies make a blanket statement about "no logs" or "no logs retained" which really is misleading to the unsavy surfer... whats REALLY REALLY important is for the VPN's head office or business location to NOT be within the reach of US legislation or whats called 5-eyes...

As far as PIA quality goes... it should be bloody great if your located in the US cause that where they are based outta...

movieking

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 12:59:43 pm »
Been with PIA for a few years, and they've been great.  I'd recommend them.

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 03:12:14 pm »
Normally i'd let this go as people are so off in the only real reason to have a VPN in the 1st place but seeing as the original post is asking for recommendations its only right to steer the conversation back to why one should have a VPN...

VPN's are about protecting your privacy in a changing internet environment where everyones after who you are and your data...

VPN' are only as good as they are when it comes to being able to legally defend and protect the persons private information when the government comes knocking with whatever justification they make up and use to order the VPN company to now start monitoring what they want... And theres just NO WAY that Any Vpn provider that is a US based company or any one of the 5-eyes partners either as far as that goes...

Sure PIA may have great service, why wouldn't they as there in one of the heaviest developed Data Center areas of the world, but they are still based in the US and even have over the last year had debates on their own forums about moving offshore to protect themselves from the US strong arming them if they need to...

The reasons people originally used places like PIA have changed over the years as the US attempts to push its rules and regs on the rest of the world tho, and as things like geo blocking which was a huge driving force behind people years ago getting VPN's are now being rendered less useful it really only leaves privacy protection as the real reason to have one...

There are plenty of actual safe off-shore VPN providers that offer just as good services for similar (and sometimes cheaper rates) then any of the US or Canadian based VPN providers. Yet time and time again because of reviewers and dealers that get brownie points and free services for recommending one of these non-offshore companies people seem to have lost track of why they really should have one in the 1st place and simply choose one based on word of mouth advertising or what some website they frequent says to use...

Some of the best and truly off-shore safe VPN's do very little advertising in the main stream because they don't need to as people that actually understand why to have one know enough to seek one of them out, so why overload their system with free accounts subsidized to promoters and dealers trying to appear to be the biggest guy on the block. Most of these US companies are strickly about trying to be the biggest guy on the block and any one foolishly enough to actually believe any of them are going to tell the NSA or CSIS to go pound salt when they ask for something really aren't living in the real world... Companies much bigger then any of these US based VPN providers have already caved in over privacy issues over the years with next to no arm twisting by the government so why people blindly believe they are safe is kinda frightening but just goes to show how naive people on-line truly are and why hacking stuff has been getting easier rather then harder over the years...

Enough ranting... but people should wise up and just save their money rather then wasting it on something they think they need because everyone else is using one...

Use2pay4cable

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 05:07:31 pm »
my suggestion since you obviously use kodi addons, just get yourself a Premiumize.me account and use there included VPN

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 11:57:12 pm »

I think the key word here is 'motivation'.
What motivates you to hide your IP addy?
For me it's Comcast.
I like Pir---bay and I want to pull down whatever
without having to worry about a fucking copyright
complaint email from that greedy monoply.
Fuck them and the jackass they rode in on. >:(

Use2pay4cable

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 01:23:15 am »
this website will help out a lot...https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-section/

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 03:27:56 pm »

A person or persons engaging in activites that would justify a FISA warrant
or unwanted attention from the NSA are involved in some very serious shit
and way past the point of no return to worry about hiding their IP address.

No-Doze: "I'm just saying" Breaking Bad.

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 07:43:35 pm »
My only point is that if your going to spend your hard earned money on a VPN then at least pay someone that stands a reasonable chance of standing up to US pressure because they are NOT operating as a US company and stop paying attention to all the marketing bull-shit spread by dealers looking to add to their revenue streams or the marketing reviewers trying to sell people on the idea that having a VPN will increase your bandwidth, which is a out-right lie...

Security and data collection is not something people should be taking lightly these days as everytime you hit the net someone or somebody is tracking you one way or another...

Here in Canada tho its more important the most places because the Legal Media Providers that are trying to legally erase streaming here in Canada ARE the Internet Providers and using the courts are something they are more then comfortable in doing to get their way... In the US most media providers are not ISP's so they have to jump through more hoops to get what they want... The only place theres any real separation between providing Internet Access and being a Media Provider is at a corporate level and even that can't escape Bell's control as they own most of the phone infrastructure the that Internet passed thru at some point or another h ere in Canada... which is exactly why CESIS puts their snoop boxes on Bell's NAP's...

I agree in most cases people don't need to worry about the NSA but theres others just as well that can pursue via court reasons to log someone...

Just to show you don't need to be a major hacker worried about NSA i'll post this without getting deeply into it but its something that happened and i see no reason it cant happen again over the streaming issue and the Canadian providers once again trying to screw Canadians...

Here in Canada a few years back people were getting demand letters from Bell, Dishnet and Nagrastar for a value based on what the courts deemed was a years service of wide-open programming for using card-sharing to illegally receive satellite services... and it was either you paid it or paid to fight it in court, and the ones that ignored the letters ended wrecking their credit records as small claims court just issues judgements to the plaintiffs on default to show up... and how did this all happen... it was because Internet Logs provided by Bell, Rogers and Videotron were used to show the supposed illegal streams went to a destination that belonged to the account holder that received the demand letter... as well somehow in the mix of that mess some of the ones that got the demand letters claimed they were using VPN's belonging to some of the very companies i still see being rated at the top of the VPN ranking...  So who knows exactly when or what it takes for any of these VPN's to start doing what the powers to be tell them to do...

I just know privacy is something your either "all in" or why bother...

It never ceases to amaze me just how often some people using these VPN providers went to the trouble of not using traceable methods of paying for things like Commercial IPTV or File sharing to protect themselves and then totally miss the mark when it comes to who they use for a VPN because of some bull-shit marketing by someone else trying to get onto the VPN gravy train...

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 01:42:05 am »

I don't know of anyone useing Kodi for streaming only
recived a 'copyright' warning from their ISP.
If only streaming content it's possible a VPN is not even necessary.

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 09:55:15 pm »

I don't know of anyone useing Kodi for streaming only
recived a 'copyright' warning from their ISP.
If only streaming content it's possible a VPN is not even necessary.

Just to be clear as im not sure i understand what your saying...

But i am NOT saying anyone using Kodi to stream has received any 'copyright warnings' from their ISP's... i was using what happened here in Canada in the satellite scene and how Bell and its Associates used the courts to force logs from the Canadian providers as proof of signal theft by some who were then served "demand letters" by registered mail demanding payment of a value assigned by the courts...

I only posted that to try and counter your "making light" of the importance of protecting your privacy as you seem to think that unless your a serious threat of some type that the NSA wouldn't go to the trouble... that may be somewhat true in the US but here in Canada where the Media Providers are driven by collecting as much money as they can, and seeing as they are already the Internet Providers which already collect logs to begin with that its only a matter of time before the same thing will happen here in Canada regarding the streaming issue...

Technically some things are already currently deemed Illegal regarding streaming while the 7 test cases move their way through the Canadian Federal Courts which proves things are changing... In fact there were just a few updates a few days ago to that very same court case...

So... now with all that said, going back to the original post topic...

The best VPN is one that will protect your identity and the only ones that truly stand a chance doing so will be someone thats NOT within the legal reach of either the US or any of the other 5-eyes partner countries... and yes Canada and CESIS is a partner...

K4Me

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 08:25:45 am »

The best VPN is one that will protect your identity and the only ones that truly stand a chance doing so will be someone thats NOT within the legal reach of either the US or any of the other 5-eyes partner countries... and yes Canada and CESIS is a partner...
What about using a VPN provider not within these areas but then connecting to one of their servers within that area? Then there is the reverse situation of using a server that is outside the area but the VPN provider is within the area.

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 01:01:04 pm »
where there servers are is not really the issue, as they are just some data center being rented or leased by the VPN company...

whats important is in which country the VPN's head office (management hub) is as that will define who's legislation they will fall under...

So if the VPN's corporate head office is listed as a US company or even multi-national thats based out of the US then the US laws will be in force over how the company operates no matter where they've located their remote servers in other places of the world... In most cases the networks management and accounting packages will tie back to the corporate office or service center so its like the corporate hub...

The USA tho isn't the only one to worry about which is why people should just google terms like 5-eyes and they will get a better idea of which ones are the biggest concerns...

Seriously tho i really doubt most people using VPN's to stream via Kodi need to worry much about any of this stuff at this point in time... most of what i've said is in response to all the bullshit marketing i see of late by pretty much "ALL" the players in the streaming scene as dealers and most web streaming marketers keep implying or out-right state that they're favorite VPN provider will some plug-in work better... anyone thats been around long enough and understands how the internet works and what exactly a VPN does knows better... so pretty much all of what i have said in the various threads is to try and get people that actually want a VPN to at least buy one thats not based on popularity just because some web site says they are the best...

The only place i think anyone needs to exercise caution regarding streaming and leaving a foot print is here in Canada because of the unique position of the Media Providers also being the main sources of Internet Access as well here...

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 01:23:31 pm »

A known VPN provider corporate head office is located in Hong Kong.
Since China does ban the use of VPN's I had to ponder the possiblity
the communist goverment will shut it down. I passed on their service. 

https://torrentfreak.com/chinese-man-jailed-for-nine-months-for-selling-vpn-software-170904/

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 02:08:20 pm »
China's kinda weird that way as so many in China are trying to use VPNs to get around the government blocking everything... Hong Kong and Tiawan i know are somewhat different then mainland China but i don't know enough to really understand how some seem to get around things while others don't... i know ive chatted a few times with some of the factory engineers from where i buy my boxes from a few times about how things work over there...

I know over the years i've used BlackVPN which is now Hong Kong (originally they were in the Netherlands but moved to get outta the reach of the NSA a few years ago) its a popular VPN with hackers, but tends to be a bit expensive...

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 07:43:27 pm »

This is a great quote from the blackVPN site:

'Even Julian Assange said "Our own political and legal analysis of Snowden's situation was that Hong Kong would play it by the book…" to keep "…its reputation as a country which has a strong rule of law when it is under a lot of scrutiny, a desire to not lose face from China and to not look like the US is pushing them around".'

Cymbalta

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 03:27:41 pm »
Using ExpressVpn myself, no real problems yet here with my current internet provider. But no doubt something will arise sooner than later