KodiTips Forums

Upgrading firmware

DS30

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Upgrading firmware
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:43:51 am »
Pretty much everything I've tried drop Google has failed me, so I'm turning to you guys.  How do I upgrade firmware on an MXQ Pro that's running android 4.4.2?  I want to go to 5.1 or 6.0.  Thanks.

flhthemi

• +8/-0
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading firmware
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 12:18:44 pm »
Pretty much everything I've tried drop Google has failed me, so I'm turning to you guys.  How do I upgrade firmware on an MXQ Pro that's running android 4.4.2?  I want to go to 5.1 or 6.0.  Thanks.

I don't know for sure this is the correct FW for YOUR box but you should be able to determine that BEFORE you try to install it. The download link, instructions link for flashing it are all here :

http://blog.geekbuying.com/2016/03/mxq-pro-amlogic-s905-4k-tv-box-firmware-update-20160314/

DS30

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 12:29:01 pm »
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'm actually not sure how to determine if it's right for my exact box. Messing around with firmware is new to me

flhthemi

• +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 02:10:53 pm »
Is it an AM Logic S905 or S905X CPU? Is it 4K?

You might get even more help at an Android forum. Like Freaktab.com from what I briefly read there you may have to open your box to get info from the mainboard. If you aren't comfortable with that....well it might be new box time.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:14:06 pm by flhthemi »

DS30

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 02:14:52 pm »
Yeah it is.

It was free, so...haha. it's not my main box, just one I'm dicking around with, but would like you have up your date.

DS30

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 02:36:58 pm »
The instructions don't match what's on the screen for the USB loader either. Pretty annoying haha

DS30

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 03:04:37 pm »
this is what i see after i load the image to the flash tool...essentially nothing

flhthemi

• +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 04:56:10 pm »
Unit's powered on?
Proper drivers got installed?
Bad/wrong OTG/USB cable (no data just power for charging)
Did you press the reset button (Use a paper clip it should be in a little hole somewhere)

Re-read instructions...

I also read there it's possible to open the zip file for the FW, extract the .img file and copy it to the root of SDCard.  Don't know if they want it on External (I think it was external as they mentioned putting it back in the device's slot after the copy). But I don't know if you reboot and it starts the flash or if you need to check for updates from settings.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:00:33 pm by flhthemi »

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 09:58:58 pm »
The generic  MXQ Pro was the older S905 SoC...

Without seeing the mb and screened id#'s its hard to say who's box it really is tho...

Some boxes dont have the OTG usb port actually enabled and required a jumper put on the mb to make the USB work with the OTG programming mode... some boxes that are enabled only provide one of the USB ports to support OTG programming mode...

Usually its easier to load and boot up off a external sd card thats got the right firmware file and name on it... A lot of times depending on who's box it is it can be setup and triggered from a setup utility app on the box itself...

Generally if you get the wrong firmware file you run into issues like the wifi/ethernet/bluetooth or remote not working while the rest of the box works ok.. so you kinda safe as far as wrecking the thing...

Android version jumps tho are another thing so you want to make sure you find the right firmware file or you run the risk of buggering the bootloader creating a different problem...

Eric at Gearbest is pretty good at making firmware files available but keep in mind they are basically meant for the wide selection of mainstream boxes he sells and they sometimes work on other makers boxes as well but its a chance you may have to take if you can't find who's box you got... theres a lot of clones of pretty much all the mainstream models that the clone manufacturer's build around someone else's firmware without their approval so the trick is to try and figure out who's unit they were cloning and then try and find newer files from that manufacturer...

Freaktabs the place tho you want to look thru as most of the main coders for mainstream android firmware and projects for a wide variety of boxes hang there so you may find what your looking for in one of the threads running over there...

You want to make sure you dont intermix the S905 and S905x firmware files up... the newer s905x will probably take a s905 but just loose some functionality of some peripheral such as the networking stuff but going the other way with s905 trying to load s905x firmware file will probably lock the box up at a bootloader level as it doesn't support all the hardware the s905x does...

Just some cautions thats all... if ya got the box free and your just messing around you got nothing to loose...besides ive never came across a dead box i cant get going again unless theres a actual hardware failure...

hatrix

• +19/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 02:30:33 am »
Only way to be sure you're putting on the right firmware is to open to box itself. There are also alot of boxes that I've heard cannot go past kitkat

DS30

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 03:31:12 pm »
Every time I try to boot with the reset button pushed in, the unit won't even turn on. So I put the SD card in any way and just go to system update and manually select the img file, and it always says that it fails.

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 08:30:23 pm »
Only way to be sure you're putting on the right firmware is to open to box itself. There are also alot of boxes that I've heard cannot go past kitkat

True... usually its not so much because it wont run the newer version of Android... its because the vendor of the box won't make public the device tree info for the bootloader which if not feed the right info will either lock the box up at bootloader level or may let Android start but with a lot of things not working properly...

Not all boxes handle the bootloader interuption in the same manner... some are little hole in case, others may be a switch inside the AV connection hole... others need a exterenal keyboard or even a certain key press from the remote...
theres a bunch of different ways but it depends on who's box or what box the cloner was copying... worst case are some of the newer S90x bases boxes which actually require opening the box and jumping a couple of pins...

Usually tho once you know the trigger setup its just a matter of formatting a sd card in fat32 and copy or unzip the file to the sd card... some boxes may require the file to be named to something specific as the bootloader will only look for that name... once you know you got the right file thats all that should be required... holding the button or triggering method on while plugin in the power supply and if you hold it somewhere around where the android icon shows up and then let it go should get you there... sometimes you may have to play around with exactly how long but its there pretty much on every box, because they all pretty much have their boot loader based on uboot...

The only time its not there is if you've buggered the bootloader itself by putting the wrong file on or managed to somehow glitch the bootloader corrupting it... if thats happened then your approach to restore the bootloader needs to be changed... Android users in some cases wiill install twrp 1st as it will backup the orginal bootloader as its installs and overwrites it making recovery a bit easier, but ive yet to come across any Android box yet that requires you to do that...

just a heads up... some boxes if you hold the button in without putting a restore or new image on a card into the box will just sit and do nothing because its stuck in a loop while your holding and its not finding anything in the media slot... basically tho its all about your timing and ensuring you've prep'd the sd card properly with the proper file...

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 11:27:20 pm »
I searched on youtube and got the help I needed. :P

DS30

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 09:40:39 am »

Yeah,  YouTube didn't help me unfortunately

flhthemi

• +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 09:51:31 am »

Yeah,  YouTube didn't help me unfortunately

Just get one of these and start enjoying Kodi...