KodiTips Forums

Buffering issue

rmseefeldt

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Buffering issue
« on: August 29, 2017, 09:39:59 pm »
What is the real fix for Kodi buffering problems? When it works it works, and when it doesn't it doesn't. Have tried all the tweaks and still acts up, that's streaming I guess😊

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Buffering issue
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 06:05:07 pm »
lol... sorry don't mean to laugh but lately the topic seems to have really come to the surface... i'd suggest reading some other posts on the subject just to kinda see where others are at and whats been said so-far...

Other then that i would say in most general terms if it was working one minute and then acting up the next minute and kinda doing that off and on, that in 'most' cases its probably something is choking your connection bandwidth at times for some reason or another...

Kodi itself tends to either work or not work on things with very little middle ground... so when that starts to happen it usually means something has changed affecting your connection bandwidth or some recent change to Kodi's plug-ins or something has corrupted Kodi in some manner... As well it pays to remember that in most cases Kodi is just another app running on a OS and basically is stuck using what its fed to it by the OS...

Most of Kodi's caches really pertain to cleaning crap that reduces your overall storage size... things like artwork, icons and that kinda stuff which shouldn't really affect your streams ability to maintain minimum input of media...

Kodi does have the ability to set aside some of its ram to create a cache which should self clean itself when you reboot the box and it releases the reserved ram used for caching...

Some plug-ins will maintain their own caches and it never hurts to check them and clean them because thats something Kodi in a lot of cases doesn't really try and maintain...

The other thing i will say is about Internet providers in general, especially here in Canada and in particular the cable ones... As a former Internet provider myself from the way back days i have the skill set to actually follow the traffic and can definately say that just because your provider says you've got great bandwidth thats usually NOT the case... sustained packet delivery such as a media stream has time outs on the packet wrappers and its extremely easy for something like a cable company to congest at times depending on what and how they are trying to throttle certain known ports thru there system... Phone providers usually make the best ISP as your connected straight to their switch from your location and piped right out to the main backbones with minimum losses... cable companies your not, your actually connected to their wan which is then subject to all of their internal infrastructure before they dump it out onto the open backbones thru only a couple of NAP's covering their whole area... so theres a whole nother layer of infrastructure involved that is easy to cause sustained streaming issues depending on where you are and the time of day...

I think all to often people just randomly believe that because some web site people get directed to use says one thing while reality is something actually different... because of my current location that many's a time i've actually followed stream packets into my cable provider and watched them timeout within their network and am constantly arguing with their dumb-assed techs as they deny they are messing with and throttling certain ports depending on their total internal load... its always the same thing with them as they tell you to go to so and so website and you'll see they are delivering what they say... those speed check sites are more based in checking overall bandwidth for download and surfing use where some download can wait for hours before the next part comes... streaming media packets are totally different as they've got transport packets wrapped around the parts that have parameters that need to be met, some of which are time related... In fact i will as far as to say in the satellite scene the only thing still working Publicly mainly relies on card sharing and companies like Dishnet and ExpressVu actually will throttle at times on some known ports as they know it will cause a lot of grief and complaints to the guys running the card sharing services as peoples CAS packets timeout making the picture start to pixelate and then finally drop out...

The best you can do is try and understand your whole system better and then try and eliminate as many of the variables that are within your control that you can... and remember when reading other peoples posts that pretty much everyones system is unique and what works for one person may not for you...

TonyH

• +28/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Buffering issue
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 06:36:19 pm »
Quote:"The best you can do is try and understand your whole system better and then try and eliminate as many of the variables that are within your control that you can... and remember when reading other peoples posts that pretty much everyones system is unique and what works for one person may not for you..."

+1