KodiTips Forums

Kodi crash on Windows 10

K4Me

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Kodi crash on Windows 10
« on: August 31, 2017, 03:15:20 am »
I have a build that crashes shortly after startup, usually on the first use every day. After restarting it runs smoothly. The log seems to contains a record just prior to the crash but not the actual error. There is a crash log dump file but I am not sure how to use it.

This is a minor inconvenience but I would like to fix it. How do I go about finding what caused the crash? The same build runs fine on my Android TV box.

flhthemi

• +8/-0
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
Re: Kodi crash on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 09:13:17 am »
Try turning on debug mode while kodi is running then exit kodi, then start kodi let it crash and go look at the kodi.log. MAYBE you can figure out what's happening as there is more info provided when debug is on.

You say "build", is that a reference to YOUR installation of kodi or are you running someone else's "custom build"?

TonyH

• +28/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 09:34:50 am »
FYI krypton 17.4 has many bug fixes for Win 10. Upgrading may fix your problem.

K4Me

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:56:49 am »
Thanks for the tips, that is what I needed.

I am running 17.4, have turned on debug mode and no crashes so far, maybe it will return tomorrow. The log is relatively clean and does not sees to have any unexplained warnings or errors.

TonyH

• +28/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 12:03:51 pm »
Are you seeing a windows error that kodi has stopped working? Try temporarily disabling your antivirus and firewall and see if you can repeat the crash. You may need to add an exception for kodi in your antivirus software even if you see that it allows kodi already. This was an issue I had in the past, maybe your having a similar problem. Good luck

P.S. Did you upgrade to 17.4 or was it a fresh install? Was it crashing in 17.3? I have read about some people having problems after upgrading.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:06:04 pm by TonyH »

K4Me

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 02:48:07 pm »
17.4 was a fresh install they were happening on 17.3 as well.

It is not a hard crash but a Windows error box that appears stating the Kodi has stopped working. I have not been able to repeat the crash in the last 12 hours. It will likely not happen again until tomorrow as it usually occurs only once for the day and then works fine on a restart for the rest of the day. It is likely something in the process that checks for addon upgrades and maybe the recording of the status.

TonyH

• +28/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 03:06:52 pm »
It's been my experience that if a windows error box comes up, it's not a problem with kodi itself. I would still try disabling antivirus and firewall.