KodiTips Forums

Court Grants Subpoenas to Uncover TVAddons & ZemTV Identities

Admin

• +27/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
Source: http://koditips.com/courts-grants-subpoenas-tvaddons-zemtv/

The District Court in Texas where Dish Network filed a complaint against ZemTV and TVAddons has granted subpoenas aimed at identifying the owners of those websites.

In an attempt to find out the identifies of the users behind ZemTV and TVAddons, Dish Network requested, and was granted, subpoenas targeting Google, Twitter, Facebook, Paypal, Amazon, and other hosting providers.

The court document mentions twitter accounts @shani_08_kodi, Facebook account “Shani”, GitHub account “Shani_08”, and email “taacc14@gmail.com”, which it believes are all ran by the former creator of ZemTV. It also requests any Paypal transaction and credit card information with the username “Shani”.

For TVAddons, Twitter, Facebook, and Cloudflare accounts are requested, as well as an Amazon account with the email “yipang@protonmail.com”.

The Google subpoena requests IP address logins and communications on GChat from 2014 onwards.

Subpoenas are forwarded on to the social media accounts above and are used to receive information that may identify the user behind those accounts. Each service provider can challenge the court for further clarification and choose whether to submit any of the requested information.

You can view the subpoena requests via TF by clicking here.

The complaint filed against TVAddons and ZemTV for copyright infringement carries a $150,000 fine for each offence. ZemTV was shutdown as soon as the original court complaint was filed. TVAddons went offline on June 12th.

Re: Court Grants Subpoenas to Uncover TVAddons & ZemTV Identities
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 09:02:49 am »
I sure hope for their sake none of them are us-based or I see some hard times and their foreseeable future

hatrix

• +19/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:10:36 am »
i hope they took the necessary steps to hide themselves when using their accounts. also agree that i hope they are not US based.

Admin

• +27/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 05:10:08 pm »
I can confidently say that neither Eleazar nor Shani are US-based.

gersey

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 01:15:18 am »
I have a feeling your going to start to see alot of Wack-a-server in the next couple months they are really starting to take this threat to there monopoly seriously. there seems to be a threshold that when crossed draws the full force of the industry I have seen it happen to IRC then 2p2/torrents and now streaming they will knock it back to a level that the industry finds acceptable and then move on to the next threat

Admin

• +27/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 08:15:58 am »
The best thing would be for the devs to come back, host addons on archive.org and promote them that way. Third party sites "hosting" repos that are dead and not maintained doesn't do anything once addons start dying.

BogMan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 09:38:15 am »
Just my 2 cents worth.

Apps like indigo made it too easy for resellers. IMHO it was spoon feeding. This is how the satellite hacking got the attention of  dishnet too. Dishnet properly weights the cost of going after pirates against the cost of lost revenue.

Looking back, TV-addons should of given users access to the fusion app with a unique key (API ?). To keep it active the key user need to post 5 times a month at the site. TV addons could keep track of how many times per month, the user was updating their boxes.

Hope I do not get flamed

BogMan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 09:39:06 am »
Just my 2 cents worth.

Apps like indigo made it too easy for resellers. IMHO it was spoon feeding. This is how the satellite hacking got the attention of  dishnet too. Dishnet properly weights the cost of going after pirates against the cost of lost revenue.

Looking back, TV-addons should of given users access to the fusion app with a unique key (API ?). To keep it active the key user need to post 5 times a month at the site. Perhaps regular users or long term user could have the post count removed for a donation to cover server costs. TV addons could keep track of how many times per month, the user was updating their boxes, by tracking the key use.

i could be wrong, I often am.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:42:50 am by BogMan »

Admin

• +27/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 10:09:20 am »
Just my 2 cents worth.

Looking back, TV-addons should of given users access to the fusion app with a unique key (API ?). To keep it active the key user need to post 5 times a month at the site. Perhaps regular users or long term user could have the post count removed for a donation to cover server costs. TV addons could keep track of how many times per month, the user was updating their boxes, by tracking the key use.

i could be wrong, I often am.

Yep, many Kodi devs have long thought that builds (Indigo was a build too) and pre-loaded box sellers saturated the market in a negative way.

jacksuarez7

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 11:22:47 am »
It was the shoe shine boy giving stock tips moment....once it entered into the mainstream it became too hard to ignore. I for one am not sorry that those who bought boxes without a clue how they actually worked are now staring at black plastic paperweights....pity that the forums which were useful when an issue was encountered also went down not to return.

Mobboro

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 10:04:08 am »
Sad day for kodi add on community if the corporations win this and they could since they control the country. Hope the kodi devs can come up with a decentralised system like bt. That's the way to fight them

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 04:48:49 pm »
I agee, its a sad day but lets not be naive either as it was inevitable that providers would start to clamp down... exactly the same thing happened to the satellite services years ago as well...

Not to try and start any panic or crap and to talk open and honestly Dish Network getting involved is probably the worst scenario that could happen... i see alot of crap talk about torrentfreak sensationalizing whats going on but what really matters is the truth which is Dishnetwork actually has started litigation against a few targets and once that starts its no longer about common sense or even right and wrong in some cases as they have a battery of on retainer lawyers that will tie anyone even remotely involved in what THEY deem illegal in legal procedings to the point that if you don't got deep pockets when they come after you theres no way you can out-wait the drawn out approaches they use...

Believe me i know from many years of experience of dealing with Dish Network, ExpressVU and Nagrastar and the legal tactics they employ when trying to stop what they deem legal and they have no problems dragging things on and on till their targets cave in... Any one here in Canada ever served with a Anton Pillar will understand what i am talking about...

Personally i don't think its time to run for cover yet but i think its time developers and hobbyists start to exercise more caution and what and how they go about releasing stuff. Nothing against TVA but its been and become a bigger target as they advertise and brag while competing against other super repo sites out there...

The time is coming for dev's to start moving behind membership only sites and tighten their circles and stop releasing anything even remotely associated with protected media from smaller deeper buried places and if the public looses some of the conveniances of a all-in-one super site thats just the way its going to need to be to protect themselves...

Offshore helps but is not as safe as a lot of people think when it comes to major providers like Dish Network and others and even still anyone in North America still needs to find away to get the money back into the country...  When they killed the sat stuff they were taking over websites from as far away as Kuala Lumpor and south america...

Anyways my concern is more for the endusers and public who alwasy seem to get lulled into a "eh who's gonna bother the small guy" attitude only to find out sometime down the road they start getting "demand letters" based on logs from some site that got taken over and they had no idea of it... Ive been on the net long before there was even any graphical browsers and have watched the laws change and be manipulated by corporations and governments as they keep finding newer and better ways to abuse the privacy laws and its time for people to wake up and stop being naive when it comes to the importance of logs and tracking users...

Hopefully no one takes offense to what i am going to say...

Its Speculation on my part but based on a lot of prior experience with Dish Network, ExpressVu and Nagrastar as they spent a few years killing off the main satellite hacks and hurting a lot of good people and friends that help provide the public with working hacks that they made no financial gains from but a lot of greedy dealers had no problems lining their pockets...

With the satellite take downs they started with the dumber dealers out in the public thinking they were safe which usually ended with settlements and banishment from the scene but the creators were really what they wanted so they spent a lot of time trying to infiltrate any place that seemed to point to the coders which took a few years and were pretty elaborate... the main tactic they used was to find something on a particular website/forum and its owner/mods and force them into some settlement that always included a gag order while they took over the site making it look like things were normal when in reality they were looking for leads to others...

The only reason i am even saying any of this is because of Dish Network doing what its done and knowing all to well how things work... I always knew that at some point it was inevitable for media owners to start trying to clamp down but seeing Dish start sets off alarm bells for me and anyone in North America...

My concern stems from the Dealers using plug-ins that do all the auto updating which get them off the hook from actually knowing very much while putting the public end users privacy at risk just so they can sell a cheap box... If Dish for the sake of argument win their initial case against TVA and Zem you can bet part of the settlement will be the covert take-over of the domains involved and snagging any and all logs for future use without the public's knowledge for as long as they can keep the game going... Hopefully the dudes involved are not American or Canadian so the legal effects are minimized... Cloudflare which is the hoster of offshoregit tho is based outta Frisco so it would appear at least the hosting company is US which is not good for protecting the server logs in a long term legal battle...

Once Again THIS is MY SPECULATION and its intent is NOT to start trouble but to may help start some serious conversations about the Developers and Coders security and about the public learning to worry about the front print they are leaving in server logs from any of these Auto Updating Type of Plug-ins...

lets have some open and meaningful discussions as i truly hate the mainstream providers here in North America and i have no respect for greedy dealers that are quick to throw peoples privacy under the buss either...

my 2 cents...

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 05:14:15 pm »
Haha... this just gets better and better but now starts to make sense...

So old Mr Leaker (Adam Lackman) surfaces in a mess once again... When it comes to making money off other peoples work some dudes just never seem to learn the lesson...

Mr Leaker aka Adam Lackman was involved with the whole FTA mess that helped kill of the sat scene years ago... He was Blacklist's little buddy and then disappeared when the shit hit the fan as Pansat, CoolSat Viewsat, Mr Kim and a bunch of others all got hit when Dishnet, ExpressVU and NagraStar came calling because they took our avr code and embedded it into their FTA units giving people free Dishnet and ExpressVU...

It was all about money and greed while they continued to push FTA units with no real firmware support for either of the North American services as they continued to sell units to unsuspecting Dealers and Users... In the end one by one they all kinda disappeared leaving people looking for them... Not sure if he was one of the guys actually litigated against at the time but i know he was listed on satscams site as one of the hackers...

It will be interesting now to see if there are any ramifications from that whole mess... but one things sure, I'll bet theres a lot of old sat guys that will be getting a real chuckle out of seeing his name once again involved in a Providers legal claim... back then it was signal theft,,, this time around is more of a colussion to provide or help type of thing...

Regarding his plea for help from the other page...

"Support the Free and Open Internet

We’re hoping that others will be as concerned as us about big companies manipulating the law in order to shut down what they see as competition. We desperately need your help in financially supporting our legal defense, we cannot do it alone. We’ve ran up a legal bill of over $100,000 to date. We’re David, and they are four Goliaths with practically unlimited resources. If we lose, it will mean that new case law is made, case law that could mean increased censorship of the internet."

Give me a break... man i hate the providers as much as any one and spent considerable time over the years trying to get around things but what a load of crap the plea is... Protecting the Internet has NOTHING to do with a Individual or Individuals that have made a ton of bank over the years by creating and promoting others works to their own means and now that he's got into trouble its become everyones problem...

David my arse... where was David before the recent boat got rocked while he was busy counting his cash... now that he's being picked on for reasons he brought on himself in his quest for more money he wants the publics help by trying to make people think he's serving the publics needs... David stood his ground all by his self and brought Goliath down, he didnt go winning for everyone else help...

I agree the law sucks and its not right with what the providers get away with but there are other methods to try and get things fixed or changed which would be worthy of people donating to... this is NOT the 1st time the providers have tried using a Anton Pillar here in Canada only to end up getting challenged, as once they get all their ducks in a row now that they know what the court actually expects they will be back as this is not going to end here... This is no different from the old sat scene were every time some DEALER got busted they decided to try their hand at begging the community for monetary help that usually just disappeared and in the end the Defendant lost anyways... use common sense and understand that just because the providers did not have all their ducks in a row this time around its not going to change the outcome in the end in regards to TVA's mess as this will just drag on and on while they out wait him... Meanwhile as Zem's case starts to unfold if he looses which consensus thinks he will that will actually put a real nail in TVA's coffin as there is no question of TVA being complicate in allowing distribution of the plug in...

The only winners in this whole mess are the Lawyers as right or wrong they all get paid which is why people should think before they throw their hard earned money away on trying to defend something that in all likely hood will fail in the end as this can drag out for a long time while they out wait the defendant...

If People are really concerned about bad laws and how the providers abuse us they need to get involved with one of the protection advocacy organizations or start pestering the CRTC here in Canada or start putting up websites trying to draw attention to the issues and start there...

Now that Adam out in the open it opens some thoughts on who Zem(shani) is...

man this just gets funnier and funnier...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:17:06 pm by Buzz Marshall »

Admin

• +27/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 11:44:19 pm »
Interesting insight, you seem to know a lot about Adam's history. Love or hate him, this will have huge effects on the unofficial Kodi community into the future.

EdT

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 12:26:29 pm »
Wow,  never knew TVAddons had a Montreal connection !  ...and yes we don't have a Democracy a big myth made up by Hollywood !
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tvaddons-piracy-rogers-bell-videotron-court-1.4231340

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 12:35:15 pm »
I agree... To be honest its not that i hate the guy, its more about what people like him did that killed off the satellite scene years ago and why i moved over to this scene years ago before it blew up into what its now become... same thing basically... people want more media for better rates here in North America which is whats been behind driving the huge growth in boxes here... I remember when Xbmchub started along with SuperRepo and a few others which were good in the beginning and served their purposes without drawing a lot of attention from the providers back then...

The lines between this scene and the old sat scene are basically parallel... by that i mean most of the code that was created that allowed people to see a lot of this stuff was created by hobiest, hackers and people just having fun to see if they could do it and was put up publicly to help anyone wanting to play around... then once the money types (Tech Entrepenaur types" haha) see the opportunity to take it and turn it into their own revenue stream things start to change...

Here as Tva changed and got greedy and started openly pushing the envelope it was only a matter of time before the providers once again start crying to the various governments about supposed loss's and trying to use whatever methods they can to break it up... Tva has been growing and bragging for years now as it enabled Non-Skilled Dealers and the Factories to install a system of management of plug-ins so that they all could carry on bragging with the typical "Never Pay Cable Again" or "Free this or that" slogans while they promoted the sale of their boxes without any investment from their end... Some of us knew this was coming for awhile now and it will continue to get worse as these big companies have the money and resources to get things changed to what they want... unfortunately for us this is not about whats right or wrong and thats the part that truly sux...

Ive been around for a long time and this nick i use has nothing to do with who and where i sat before, so i have watched things unfold now for awhile over the last year or so... The court stuff here in Canada was actually filed before Torrent Freak reported so some of us kinda been waiting to see who and when it would come out...

Personally i think had Adam not been so arrogant to force the whole Indigo crap early this year it might have taken longer before whats happened actually did... there were a lot of people truly upset with his ego and mentality that he had the audacity to take over peoples boxes and mess with them without their approval... (which really makes me laugh when i here his plea about how he's fighting for all of us and the providers are the goliaths...lol)... He kinda set TVA up i think with the blowback from that mess and then on top couple what happened with the whole bot net crap of which i actually felt bad for Lamba over...

The long and the short of it is the Dudes been making a killing over the years with ad revenues and other fees as he created the environment for basically good natured coders trying to have fun and play around and now that the craps hit the fan he's looking for bail out help...   Some of us have seen this tactic before which is why i thought i would speak up as i treat this talk as some small karma pay-back for all the people burnt years ago by him and his buddies...

I to wish there was a good way to get the laws changed to protect our rights and don't agree with how either of our governments cave to corporate pressure and if anyone figures something out please let me know as i would luv to be involved... i just know contributing to this guys legal fund is a waste of time and peoples money... I am more hoping that the Dish case is where they struggle as i think the US courts are more difficult to prove their case then here in Canada... the whole idea of a Anton Pillar (which is only Canadian) was created out of the Sat mess as ExpressVU and NagraStar needed a mechanism to be able to stall and out wait the defendant because in most cases up here the defendants don't have access to the deep pockets and time it takes to get to actual court... with the Anton Pillar they can make people sit and have done so for years at a time before any real litigation actually happens and by the time they get there most have gaved in...

Anyways... i bear Adam no ill will i just consider this Karmic-payback and didn't realize "Tech Entrepreneur" was what scam artists were calling themselves these days...

Edt... i knew he was Canadian which is why i kept pushing the canadian law stuff in this and the other posts...

townie2

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 06:37:34 pm »
hi everyone. new member but follow on Twitter and long time Kodi user. i was wondering your opinion on using TVAddons.....i'm in Canada and it seems a lot of the legal problems are based here, plus the Montreal lawyers having servers, so i was wondering if i should uninstall and install something else on my Mi box, like Ares? Thanks for any advice.

12icer

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 05:43:56 am »
Isn't it a shame that our government decided to let a few companies control our Television viewing options. I hope we can find a group of government electees who will return our Television to a CHOICE for We the People. The only way to drive down the cost is to find a way to make it FREE, or available from many sources. The idea that any provider has the ability to attack another provider in the court system makes it an attempt to become a monopoly. I think the ATTuverse\Direct tv hookup is also a bad thing as it allows ATT to limit the streaming of OTHER providers if you do not subscribe to direct. We need to find some lawmakers who take care of We The People since they are supposed to work for us.