KodiTips Forums

Nvidia Shield

Admin

• +25/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
Nvidia Shield
« on: June 18, 2017, 10:09:25 pm »
Who has one? What do you like/hate about it? Kodi-wise, it's taken everything I've ever thrown at it. The 2017 controller is great too.

Amazon.com Link: http://amzn.to/2sqdgBW
Amazon.ca Link: http://amzn.to/2sqfmSm

- A Killer View - Movies, TV shows and games in amazing 4K HDR, explore thousands of apps like Netflix, Amazon Video, YouTube, HBO, Showtime, Pandora, Spotify, Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, Kodi, and more.
- Amazing Games, Played Your Way - Stream AAA PC games with GeForce NOW. Cast your PC games in 4K HDR from your GeForce rig to the living room with GameStream. Exclusive Android games only on SHIELD.
- The World at Your Command - Just say what you want and let Google's voice search find it in seconds. Get search results from over 100 apps, including Netflix, YouTube, HULU, HBO, and more.
- Best for Amazon Prime - Watch Amazon Video in 4K HDR and get access to original shows like The Grand Tour, The Man in the High Castle, and much more.
- The Complete Package - SHIELD TV includes the remote and redesigned SHIELD controller with voice search, rumble feedback, and private listening, in a stylish new form factor.

Use2pay4cable

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Nvidia Shield
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:11:35 am »
I love that the voice search within SPMC...The Mi box is good too, if you don't have the money for the Shield Tv

MacPhisto

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 08:57:32 am »
Don't have one, but is on top of my wish list for my next kodi purchase. Wish the price tag could be a bit lower.
But my box is still going strong so I haven't made to leap for one yet.

oldirtydog95

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 02:21:28 pm »
I recommend the NVIDIA Shield.  Blazing fast compared to when I had a Firestick.  I can't go back to anything else.

jma99

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 02:26:40 pm »
Love my siield! The only think I don't like is the leanback launcher. I wish it ran stock android instead of androidTV.
Other than that It's my favorite streaming box. I have other android boxs, and a windows HTPC gathering dust. I also run SPMC because the 4K GUI looks great! Stock KODI GUI at 4K doesn't register mouse clicks correctly.

crazyxbmc

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 09:08:40 am »
I have the 2015 500GB version and love it did not like the fact that it ran a limited leanback version so flashed a full version of android7.0 to it and it is perfect will handle anything I throw at it and then some.

Sin

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:54:02 am »
Love mine, the firestick remote can be paired with it also. Need to turn developer mode on for access with adblink.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 03:12:20 pm »
I picked up my first Nvidia Shield last weekend.  It wasn't the holy-above-all-holy box that everyone makes it up to bed, but its a nice box. Clean design, slick interface, fast processor. I runs everything I've thrown at it flawlessly.

I have a love/hate relationship with the remote and the volume control.  Its pretty sweet, but I keep brushing it with a finger or whatever and end up blasting the volume  lol

I personally don't care for the stock leanback interface, but my family likes it, so I haven't changed it. They like the "firestick/netflix" feel of the interface rather than a standard android look,

My kids enjoy the fact that it comes with a game controller, and have already stolen the box to use to play games  LOL

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 09:16:26 pm »
Sounds expensive.  It costs several hundred just to get your leg over.  Then costs may continue if you want to keep smiling.  Call me cheap, but my PC does double duty as my media center at no addition cost.  Kodi and addons may be troublesome to keep running, but they are free.  Of course many do not have the ability or time to mess with just Kodi.  They have to pay for dumbed down products like Netflix, Hule, et al.  For some the more they can spent, the better they feel.  Not me.  KISS

Buzz Marshall

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 07:40:11 pm »
really nice little boxes but i agree there cost wise, there not really positioned very good pricewise when compared to cheap pc and with some work some of the better built android boxes can be made to perform as good when it comes to kodi if your willing to do away with Android on the box and properly compile Kodi for the hardware your running on...

nice box tho...

EdT

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 09:12:06 pm »
Hate anything Android TV based !
For what it costs,  it can't do the two most simplest thing like web browsing or receiving your email that a $18 media player for Android box can do ! ...LoL
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:14:36 pm by EdT »

I Am Me

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 09:33:05 pm »
Hate anything Android TV based !
For what it costs,  it can't do the two most simplest thing like web browsing or receiving your email that a $18 media player for Android box can do ! ...LoL

Did you steal your avatar from the Mi Box or did they steal it from you?

Each to their own... I prefer Android TV on my 60" TV from across the room. The Android mobile phone or tablet version sucks on my 60" TV and I've got a host of cheap media player that have all been put to death because no one can afford to update their ROM because 20-50 bucks doesn't go far for providing support and updates. Got a box full of that junk.

Web browsing via mobile based Android on a 60" TV is a joke!

Give Android TV on a cheap Mi Box using Puffin Browser and your problems are solved!
https://www.puffinbrowser.com/

Just my 2 cents!

btw I love my Nvidia Shield and it is pricey but if you want to REALLY game on it as well then it is worth the money.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:35:35 pm by I Am Me »

Buzz Marshall

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 06:49:48 pm »
i agree to each their own...

People that want a much more predictable and solid performing box that are willing to spend the extra aren't afraid to turn to it...

Personally I think a lot of the most negative crap about them seems to come from Android box dealers, not because the box isn't good... its just theres no real profit margin for them to resell it... not when compared to the cheap android boxes that the dealer buys for one cost and in most cases doubles or triples their investment without really doing anything other then selling the box... then some go on to even more revenue by charging their customers for updates every time some plug-in goes down... thats the mind set of a lot of Android box sellers, so they generally pass no them with a lot of negative crap when in reality there isn't a Android box on the market that can close to keeping on with them...

I'm not a big corporation fan but as a tech i will say that from a board level build out they are better manufactured then a lot of the normal cheap boxes and come with decent software out of the box... thats a issue thats plagued the Android box scene since the beginning because everyone from the manufacturer to the dealer really don't give a crap about the end user as they are about the money... The Shield really doe's live up to what its sold as out of teh box in most cases and that actually appeals to a lot of people...a increase in cost is to be expected... hell everything in life is like that as you get what you pay for... 

EdT

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 10:51:25 pm »
... hell everything in life is like that as you get what you pay for...

Don't agree with that at all these days !
Is a $4.00 loaf bread better in Canada than a $0.79 loaf in the US ?
All that means is that Canadians are sheeples and take it up the you know where !
99% of consumers have no idea what the term quality even means, they have been brainwashed to think if it costs more it must be of quality ! ...that is as far away from the truth as possible !

If what you said is true then your Toyota Corolla would cost more than a BMW 8 Series !

Steve Jobs knows it !
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:07:33 pm by EdT »

sarah

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 05:15:25 am »
Steve Jobs was Fantastic!

Buzz Marshall

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 11:46:13 am »
I agree... Jobs was one of the biggest innovators in the world and he touched more lives around the world then most with all the usable things he left us... I've followed the 2 Steves since the beginning and even owned the 1st apples as i cut my teeth on them... Microsoft didn't exist when i started and being a old cpm hacker Jobs and Woz interested a lot of use back then...

As far as the car reference... sorry i realized i opened myself up with that general statement in the post but lets compare apples to apples as were talking about Kodi boxes here not cars... Its not that i disagree with the people being brainwashed and sheeples statement because i do...

Anyways the topic was about the Nvidia boxes so lets not deflect the subject to general life as the debates would never end...

As a developer i can see the value in them and they appeal to a different group of people, i had a original (2015) given to me years ago to develope on and seen how well they were made and supported... For me i've always been more interested in what the end user ends up with... I moderated on a forum for awhile and the running thread on the topic was such a hot topic for awhile with people asking questions and others responding with a bunch of negative crap that was mostly personal feelings as they never had any real route in any of the technical specs or abilities of the box, even a tech from the factory i buy my boxes debated the issue for awhile... personally i think its mostly all fear driven as people with a vested interested in the cheap Android box scene just plain don't like the fact that overall the Nvidia is better manufactured and better firmware supported the most cheap Android boxes... and for some users that just want a "pull outta the box and go" experience and are wiling to go the extra few bux that its there choice and if there happy who cares...

Anyways i think we should just stick to the subject at hand... :)

sarah

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 02:35:46 pm »
No doubt that the Nvidia Shield is a great box which is the box to buy for those who mostly want to play games.

The 'other' cheapo Android boxes are good for those who want to use Kodi / streams etc and these boxes are sufficient for that.

But it's hard to compare between them!

Buzz Marshall

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 08:54:34 pm »
i agree... they should be treated more as the in-between choice of Desktop or Android box...

And if one wants to get the same or better Kodi performance as Nvidia on a Android box then depending on which box you have pitch the Android OS and go with a Linux/Kodi solution... and the setup performs generally better and more reliably, while still keeping the cost cheaper...