KodiTips Forums

Indigo

Bookend

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Indigo
« on: September 15, 2017, 03:28:54 pm »
I noticed an add on in my " Supremacy"  today... Called Indigo . I clicked on it to see what it was .... Now when I click on Video add-ons , it seems to take me rite into Indigo ... Everything is in there . My question is , should I get rid of it ( if so how ) and is it anything to worry about ?

TonyH

• +28/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Indigo
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 03:54:28 pm »
There is some strange stuff going on at the moment
https://twitter.com/ares_wizard/status/908765266036903936
Up to you, but I would delete indigo, Exodus, and mettle kettles repository until more info is released. Seems someone is opening a new github using old deleted names and therefore pushing data to people's kodi setups wether wanted or not.

TonyH

• +28/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:55:10 pm »

Bookend

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:58:11 pm »
Thanks tony ... It allowed me to delete Metalkettle ... But won't allow me to delete exodus or indigo ... Tried to disable indigo but won't allow me to do that either

hatrix

• +19/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 04:59:59 pm »
Thanks tony ... It allowed me to delete Metalkettle ... But won't allow me to delete exodus or indigo ... Tried to disable indigo but won't allow me to do that either
is it giving you some type of error message?

might need to clear kodi data and reinstall addons

Bookend

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 05:03:51 pm »
I believe I got rid of them now .... Just going to restart Kodi and see if everything is back the way it was. I hope it is because I am still new to this and don't know anything about clearing data and re-installing add-ons

Not back the way it was ... But seems to be working
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:22:13 pm by Bookend »

Dave_

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 04:33:06 am »
Indigo created a new repo for Exodus, delete Exodus from this repo then you can uninstall Indigo.....I cant recall installing the repo in the first place so be wary...

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 10:25:36 pm »
if i had indigo install itself on a box without me specifically putting it there i would do what it takes to make sure its gone even if it meant zapping the whole kodi install directory and having to completely reinstall kodi...

depending on the platform and what dependancies are in the os, python may be able to get outside the kodi sandbox and mess some other things... android and embedded boxes would be ok as theyre running in ram but a full blown pc with some weeknesses in permissions could be taken advantage of...

its better to be safe then sorry...

Dave_

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 03:50:08 am »
Cheers Bandit, I will rebuild from scratch just to be sure to be sure 8)

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 02:01:41 pm »
I deleted Exodus and also Indigo abd i have an addon in Programs addons called Python - should this be deleted too ?

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 07:57:05 pm »
ya im not sure what that would be... maybe check that addon's main xml file and see where its pointed to...

i've purposely put the new exodus on a box and found indigo was added because exodus made it one of its dependancies so thats why i think people were getting stuck with indigo popping up...

The weird part tho is that box is now really acting strangely with Convenant and Elysium now acting up... They were both working fine till i added the new exodus plug-in... both Convenant and Elysium based on time stamps show they've been touched for some reason either by the installation of Exodus or the removal of it and Indigo... Now neither Convenant or Elysium will pull in any Real Debrid links as well as a few other weird things... Ive reauthorized that box a dozen times and it always says it authorized yet not a single Real Debrid link shows up on anything... Stranger still is that i have 2 main linux building machines and 2 identical M8S sitting all in the same workstation area that still work fine and up till i installed Exodus/Indigo this box was working fine as well...

When ive got more time to spend on this i am going to go thru the code and find out whats going on but locally i have had close to a dozen people over the weekend bring me boxes to clean off because they've had Indigo show up...  So far from what i have seen Indigo is being added as the result of Exodus making it a dependancy... Mettle Kettles repo take over tho i see no link between whats going on with that to the re-emergence of Indigo... Indigo was/is Tvaddons crap... as well someones told me that Tva's been saying its the result of one of their old programmers going rogue...

Anyways... i said earlier i would do whatever it takes to get Tva's software off any full blown PC running Kodi for the time being until more is known...

BruceW02

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 12:52:49 pm »
ya im not sure what that would be... maybe check that addon's main xml file and see where its pointed to...

i've purposely put the new exodus on a box and found indigo was added because exodus made it one of its dependancies so thats why i think people were getting stuck with indigo popping up...

The weird part tho is that box is now really acting strangely with Convenant and Elysium now acting up... They were both working fine till i added the new exodus plug-in... both Convenant and Elysium based on time stamps show they've been touched for some reason either by the installation of Exodus or the removal of it and Indigo... Now neither Convenant or Elysium will pull in any Real Debrid links as well as a few other weird things... Ive reauthorized that box a dozen times and it always says it authorized yet not a single Real Debrid link shows up on anything... Stranger still is that i have 2 main linux building machines and 2 identical M8S sitting all in the same workstation area that still work fine and up till i installed Exodus/Indigo this box was working fine as well...

When ive got more time to spend on this i am going to go thru the code and find out whats going on but locally i have had close to a dozen people over the weekend bring me boxes to clean off because they've had Indigo show up...  So far from what i have seen Indigo is being added as the result of Exodus making it a dependancy... Mettle Kettles repo take over tho i see no link between whats going on with that to the re-emergence of Indigo... Indigo was/is Tvaddons crap... as well someones told me that Tva's been saying its the result of one of their old programmers going rogue...

Anyways... i said earlier i would do whatever it takes to get Tva's software off any full blown PC running Kodi for the time being until more is known...

I noticed last night on my AVOV box that Exodus, Exodus Repo and Indigo have been installed on my box.  I don't know how they got installed on there.  I am certain I did not install the Exodus repo.  I assume one of the other repos that I did install, put Exodus repo on my box and then Exodus and Indigo along with it.  I am going to do a "factory restore" on my box tonight and then rebuild again and see if that happens again

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 05:00:26 pm »
Probably a good idea...

Read around the site here and i think you'll find links to most of the things your looking for and i would definitely turn Auto-Update off on any non-Team-Kodi related add-ons for the time being...

People running on embedded devices like box's are probably safe other then the irritation factor but anyone running Kodi on a full blown pc or mac should be more diligent because python's got enough clout to get outside the kodi enviroment and be used for other purposes...

the past already proves things like Exodus and other plug-ins styled in a similar framework have the ability to take the device and more or less make it part of someones botnet being used wihout your knowledge for nefarious things...

flhthemi

• +8/-0
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 09:08:12 am »
Buzz is there a way to determine if that has happened on a PC based box? Like what to look for?

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 11:24:56 am »
Out of curiosity I turned on auto-update for a bit and switched the box off but then just as I switched on again - bang, Indigo and Exodus were installed again without me doing anything!

Off to the thrash bin did they go and auto-update off again!

hatrix

• +19/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 11:34:34 am »
Out of curiosity I turned on auto-update for a bit and switched the box off but then just as I switched on again - bang, Indigo and Exodus were installed again without me doing anything!

Off to the thrash bin did they go and auto-update off again!
do you still have one of the aforementioned repos installed? they would only be auto installing if there is a repo with them on your box.

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 12:04:18 pm »
I had an old verson of Fusion and also deleted mettlekettle as i read that 'new' persons are using it's name - for what reason one has to see!

sarah

• +9/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 12:07:37 pm »
It seems that someone has used metalkettles name. That doesnt mean they are bad people up to no good since a lot of addons have changed hands from one developer to another and moved to new repos. In that sense it may not be anything to worry about. The problem is that they have used metalkettles name and if so that is strange .

hatrix

• +19/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 12:14:30 pm »
It seems that someone has used metalkettles name. That doesnt mean they are bad people up to no good since a lot of addons have changed hands from one developer to another and moved to new repos. In that sense it may not be anything to worry about. The problem is that they have used metalkettles name and if so that is strange .
hm

well there isn't going to be any future official updates to metalkettle addons or exodus, so there isn't much point in keeping the repos

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 05:40:23 pm »
Buzz is there a way to determine if that has happened on a PC based box? Like what to look for?

At this point ive not really gone thru the code to see what all is in there one way or another... so for the time being what i said is more of a caution based on being a hacker and understanding how python can be leveraged to get into weak or poorly protected systems...

The Metal Kettle Repo take over is one thing but sofar from what ive actually seen it was Exodus from someplace else that was putting Indigo back onto peoples machines...  Who's taken over MK's old repo is still a bit of a concern tho until more is known and what they're intent is, so it would be prudent and safe to pitch it and anything referencing it as a safety concern...

I've purposely kept one old box with all of the old tva based stuff on it just to watch for any activity based on whether or not those domains become active again which up till now still basically appear dead but i find it way to coincidental that Exodus is once again being exploited to use peoples devices for things they are unaware of (this time its re-installing Indigo which because of is very design should raise concerns)...

Who or why we maybe will never know till its to late, i just know that there was a fair amount of bickering and arguments that went on between the owner and certain coders that eventually ended with people leaving over what some considered as unethical by taking control of peoples devices... In the end after the initial release he backed off by removing Indigo's ability to enforce what plug-ins were on the end users box but by that time the ones behind creating Indigo proved what there real intent was in the first place...

I know i harp a lot about that place but after it showed there was no-line that some of them would not cross that whole place lost its credibility and trust amongst a lot of people... and yet he and others tried to ostracize Lambda over the Exodus and DDOS event while thinking it was ok for them to take over peoples boxes with Indigo...

Only time will tell, but my bet is that somehow this recent activity is somehow tied to people that were involved over there at one point in time... Bot-net operators make a pretty decent rate renting out their bot-nets per attack and Kodi with the right plug-in makes a good target for hackers assembling bot-nets... Call me paranoid... lol... i just know there were a few people over there making a living based on what they had going and now its all in limbo while we wait to see what happens... so what do they do to earn in the meantime?...

Anyways as usual i am babbling, but for the time being people should shut off Auto-Updating and be careful with any wizard type app until the authors actually earn peoples trust...