• View Profile
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:01:36 pm by TonyH »

hatrix

• +26/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
Re: Kodi security
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:52:13 pm »
basically to be sure you're in the clear.
remove exodus, metalkettle, and kodil repos; maybe even possibly tva repo. They cannot be trusted at the moment.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 10:18:01 pm »
why anyones even still messing with anything named exodus any more is beyond me... it was what was involved in starting the whole mess with indigo and lackmans attempt at taking peoples boxes over in the 1st place...

till he (adam) deals with the whatever becomes the end result of his mess there is no way i would install anything coming from his camp...

i see his appeal date is finally set now for the 16th of November so till then i would just stay clear...

BruceW02

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 12:49:10 pm »
remove exodus, metalkettle, and kodil repos; maybe even possibly tva repo. They cannot be trusted at the moment.

I have not heard anyone recommending to stay away from Kodil repos.  Why is that not trustworthy? 

hatrix

• +26/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 01:55:17 pm »

I have not heard anyone recommending to stay away from Kodil repos.  Why is that not trustworthy?
the kodil repo pushed the "new" version of exodus before the other repos did. Kodil is similar to superrepo, in that they will add anything.

BruceW02

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 04:33:10 pm »

the kodil repo pushed the "new" version of exodus before the other repos did. Kodil is similar to superrepo, in that they will add anything.

Ok thanks.  I used Kodil for the Pro Sport addon.  Is there another repo that I can get Pro Sport from?

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 04:51:05 pm »
Trust is something people should have to earn...

For the last couple of years a small group of individuals have managed to take over and control a huge part of the after market when it comes to non-supported Team Kodi related plugins and they have done it by using peoples basic laziness in learning what really was and still is a participation sport...

Things like super-website collections and controlling plug-in and box management tools are really nothing more then money making revenue streams for the small group that control and own these tools... Its like shit to flies as unsuspecting users gladly give over control of their devices to the wizards and wonder tools these site put out...

Its bad enough things have become like that but in-light of what Tvaddons owners fostered by taking peoples boxes over earlier in the year with their piece of crap called Indidgo its now set the bar so low that some will cross it without any qualms when it comes to hi-jacking peoples kodi devices... In some circles its almost become a social bragging right amongst some of the coders and money types as they laugh about how stupid people can be...

As far as kodil's repo goes its hard to say for sure... since the TVA legal challenge it seems theres quite a few that are rushing to fill the need of places to go and get plug-ins... in some cases they are people known from the community trying to provide genuine help while in other cases who knows really whos behind the repo...

All i know is i have been developing XBMP/XBMC/KODI devices pretty much since the beginning way back in the early 2000's and for the last few years most of this crap centers from one key player and the choosen few that have been associated with that site in one way or another... and now that the bars been lowered its only a matter of time before more of this kinda crap goes on...

I think most that have been around for awhile and others that have taken the time to learn will always be fine as they no what to stay away from but for the growing multitudes of newer users its easy to fall prey...

Anyways... People should stay away from anything related to the site we all know i'm talking about for awhile till he actually earns peoples trust and more importantly Turn OFF Auto-Updating on any plug-in not tied directly to the Kodi Team... its not all that hard to manually hit the Update button on a plug-in and it sure beats trying to remove both stuff you know about and the ones you dont know about because some plug-in installed it via Auto-Update...

hatrix

• +26/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 04:59:24 pm »

Ok thanks.  I used Kodil for the Pro Sport addon.  Is there another repo that I can get Pro Sport from?
i'm sure kodil would be fine for a here or there addon that can not be found absolutely anywhere else. But i wouldnt never let it auto update addons that can be find elsewhere.
Prosport is no longer maintained so you could get it from kodil i guess.
If you want an alternative addon to stream reddit links, that is updated, check out "Not Sure".

TonyH

• +39/-3
  • You have a 50-50 chance if you follow my advice 😂
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 05:07:31 pm »
Since pro sport is not being updated you could just copy it off the system your running it on and make a zip out if the folder to use on other setups

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 05:11:49 pm »
Since pro sport is not being updated you could just copy it off the system your running it on and make a zip out if the folder to use on other setups

Ya thats a good point and probably a much better way to be on the safe side for now

BruceW02

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 08:15:24 am »

That sounds like a good idea, thanks

flhthemi

• +11/-0
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 08:50:07 am »
And stay the hell away from Wizards and maintenance addons. For Christ's sake learn how to do it yourself!

Plus 1 for Buzz's rant! :)

RodgerB

• +20/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 10:41:37 am »
I have never had Auto update on. No repo can "push and update to me " , therefore I am not worried about kdil at all. Also by only loading the best of the best and keeping it minimal , no garbage addons or repos can try to control. Cheers.

sarah

• +10/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 11:18:14 am »
And stay the hell away from Wizards and maintenance addons. For Christ's sake learn how to do it yourself!

Plus 1 for Buzz's rant! :)
[/queote]

Agree 100% with you on this fihthemi and well done to Buzz for such a good explanation!

These are times when we should all be careful what we install in our boxes.

TonyH

• +39/-3
  • You have a 50-50 chance if you follow my advice 😂
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 05:02:37 pm »
https://twitter.com/mrblamoforkodi/status/910964250801082368

Just linking a tweet, do what makes you happy 8)