KodiTips Forums

Best ANDROID BOXES

Tyracca10

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Best ANDROID BOXES
« on: September 18, 2017, 09:11:20 pm »
Looking at what people's thoughts are on Android Boxes.

I have been using the MAX PRO for a year and want to know if there are better ones out there in terms of RAM / GIG / Functionality and User Friendly.

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks

flhthemi

• +11/-2
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
Re: Best ANDROID BOXES
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 09:28:56 am »
Well I'm sure I'll get some stuff over this....

I have had Android based TV Boxes and TV Sticks. About the best out there is probably the Nvidia Shield. But even that is subject to the same issues as any Android device. These can be had for about 200USD. If you're going to spend that kind of money on a box why not get a PC type box like a NUC or Zotac BI325. Then you have the option of using Windows or OpenElec where you will find you have less issues running Kodi. It's MY belief Team Kodi is not fond of Android devices else we wouldn't have SPMC and others that are forked from Kodi to work around Android issues running Kodi.

When Kodi went from Jarvis to Krypton anyone that had an Android box running Android V4.X got left behind unless the manufacturer of that box updated Android to V5.X. Most cheap boxes didn't get Android 5. Team Kodi has already stated future releases may require a minimal of Android V6.X. So there you will have even more users getting left behind. My PC based boxes running Windows 10 will get updates for quite some time from Microsoft which will keep me from having to buy new equipment as Kodi develops in the future.

Just something to think about.....

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:08:19 pm »
Well I'm sure I'll get some stuff over this....

I have had Android based TV Boxes and TV Sticks. About the best out there is probably the Nvidia Shield. But even that is subject to the same issues as any Android device. These can be had for about 200USD. If you're going to spend that kind of money on a box why not get a PC type box like a NUC or Zotac BI325. Then you have the option of using Windows or OpenElec where you will find you have less issues running Kodi. It's MY belief Team Kodi is not fond of Android devices else we wouldn't have SPMC and others that are forked from Kodi to work around Android issues running Kodi.

When Kodi went from Jarvis to Krypton anyone that had an Android box running Android V4.X got left behind unless the manufacturer of that box updated Android to V5.X. Most cheap boxes didn't get Android 5. Team Kodi has already stated future releases may require a minimal of Android V6.X. So there you will have even more users getting left behind. My PC based boxes running Windows 10 will get updates for quite some time from Microsoft which will keep me from having to buy new equipment as Kodi develops in the future.

Just something to think about.....

I would agree and only add that if at anytime you want to look at linux on a Android box to definately stay away from any of the Upper End S912 based boxes... Even a lot of the S90x based boxes seriously struggle trying to run on anything other then Android... If Linux such as OpenELEC or LibreELEC are things your even considering then the only real box to buy is a older S812 based box as its much better supported and will definately out-perform any of the S9xx based boxes when it comes to a non Android OS being run on it...

If Android is where you want to stay then any of the current boxes will probably do but support will be the biggest hurdle as newer software and firmware is spotty at best...

Cymbalta

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 03:44:00 pm »
Using a TX5 Pro Android Box myself - Can be very dark at times, but sorted that via a free screen adjuster off Google playstore

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 12:23:16 pm »
Looking at what people's thoughts are on Android Boxes.

I have been using the MAX PRO for a year and want to know if there are better ones out there in terms of RAM / GIG / Functionality and User Friendly.

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Hi there! I just purchased the MI android box 2 days ago! I now have it all set up and so far it's been awesome! It very user friendly... Walmart has them for 69$. It's an awesome lit box and it's well worth the price.. Hope this helps..

Admin

• +29/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 09:03:00 am »
If you aren't going to go for the Shield, make sure you buy a box with the S912 process. S8XX are now obsolete and the S905 will be soon.

Search Amazon for "T95Z" as one example

hatrix

• +29/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 04:58:16 pm »
there are a millions options for boxes these days.
i will agree with what the admin said.
If money is know issue then then shield is great.
As far as basic android boxes go, then usually the fastest is the best like he said, S912 with 3 or 4 gb of ram would be good.
Probably the most simple and user friendly would be the shield and amazon devices.
I personally hate the firestick so id recommend if you go amazon, to look at the fire tv box.
They wont have an ethernet plug though which to me is a must.

TonyH

• +40/-3
  • You have a 50-50 chance if you follow my advice 😂
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 05:37:16 pm »
The amazon fire sticks don't have Sn Ethernet port, but the boxes do. If your leaning towards amazon I would wait as they just released the new (stick) and are coming out with a new box hopefully soon. The new (stick) that they are calling the box has an optional plug you can buy that has a Ethernet plug in it
http://koditips.com/amazon-new-fire-tv-4k-hdr/

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 05:11:26 pm »
I really wish people would stop telling people to buy S912 based devices... i realize they are current and maybe some of the older boxes are deemed obsolete by some people...

Don't take my word... check around and you'll find some of the main coders that are producing a lot of code that people are currently running on and they all say the same thing which is not to buy a S912 based box as theres very little support for it from Amlogic ... in particular the T82x graphics chip has NO USERLAND DRIVERS from Amlogic and Amlogic has been qouted as saying they have no intent on producing one... in the end this means pretty much all of the great benefits of the S912 when it comes to graphics will never be realized as the existing support is stuck at the canned version of Android that Amlogic is providing the downstream... So any one buying a S912 will be stuck with whatever came on it as they only real developement is being done by private coders which in a lot of cases is not being made available as more and more coders decide to NOT help Amlogic create a future for that chip when they should have poney'd up and invested in providing all the required drivers in the 1st place...

The S905x is a better choice as the Mali 450 is mature and actually has the proper driver support out there... as far as the S8xx being obsolete... thats only applicable to whats currently being pushed to the public in single sales... the S812 is still available to people buying in bigger quantities directly from the factories... The S812 currently outperforms any of the S9xx based boxes and both the factories and Amlogic know it otherwise the factories would not still offer S812's as oem's and Amlogic would not be producing the chips for them...

The issue is pretty much at a stalemate as Amlogics not really got much new in the pipeline and has now resorted to tempting people by offering the board with more ram and bigger flash but at a increase in cost... more ram and flash is always a good thing but not if your buying into a SoC's thats not really fully supported by its own manufacturer...

The only guy i know publicly thats still working on S912's is Kszaq over on Libreelec and even he says dont buy one as  his attempts are patched together from a bunch of things... so its Android only with out the real benefits of what the T82x graphics chip is actually capable of ... As well Amlogic's finally admitted to and corrected its spec sheet to now fully disclose that chip will only do 1.5ghz and not the 2.0ghz they've been advertising it running at since releasing it...

Anyways... save your money and just buy a S905x based box with the most ram you can afford... it will be cheaper and perform just as good as any S912 box under these current conditions...

Admin

• +29/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 08:23:23 am »
Interesting about the driver bit, I didn't know that

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 08:22:09 pm »
I think theres a lot of people that really are not aware of it because the 1st place it was picked up on was by us linux guys who have been attempting to interact with Amlogic for years now...

Most people running on Android don't really understand because those boxes somewhat do work under the versions of Android being provided by Amlogic to the factories making all of the various boxes... people just see and question why some boxes work better then others and most reviewers only barely touch on asking any real questions based on why none of the S912 boxes come anywhere close to delivering performance anywhere near what Amlogic says in its specs... Instead most reviewers seem to get caught up in the comparing the S912 to the other SoC makers such as Rockchip or Allwinner...

Developing on Linux tho exposed the issue from the very beginning because there are no Userland drivers made available for the T820 graphics chip... originally Amlogic stone walled most coders asking by saying it may come in the future but eventually it was revealed that Amlogic never bought the Driver Development Kit from Arm for the T820 chip that it licences out... further to the conversation it was revealed the Amlogic's intent was to not purchase the DDK which basically means whatever graphics chip drivers for userland are what everybody is stuck with in the Canned version of Android Amlogic provides to the factories... basically meaning Amlogic has shut out all the 3rd party coders that are and were the guys fixing up all the problems pretty much since the Introduction of the Android boxes in the 1st place...

Currently the best performing Amlogic box is a S812 based box running on Linux as pretty much everything in the original specs are tweaked and delivering the peak performance with lockups almost being none existant other then when a rogue addon hangs... As far as the current chipset goes it would be a S905x with 2 gig or ram...

Amlogic's knows it and so do the factories which is why in the last year or so your seeing them trying to entice S912 buyers by making units with more sram and bigger flash space... all at a extra cost tho... lol...  whats the point tho when eventually the graphix performance on the S912 craps out, at least with the S905x and the Mali 450 graphix processor its mature and been tweaked now for years as the S812 uses the same one...

To dispell another myth i'll add this... most that think the factories produce their own code would be wrong in a lot of cases... most factories build their boxes off the SoC's (Amlogic, Rockchip, Allwinner...) makers reference design board for the chip their using... with the initial release of a new box they may spend some time coding things like new launchers and crap while maybe paying Amlogic's coders for a bit of help tailoring Amlogics Android version to the box's hardware they are going to release... updates and future software is pretty much either extremely slow to appear from the factory if it ever does at all because the factories now busy working on some new box and thats where their attention is...

Thats a basic over view of how things work coding wise in the world of Android boxes and the various companies involved...

So just how did things get to work as good as they do over all these years... 3rd party coders... theres tons of sites that have come and gone over the years but they all pretty much did the same thing as they were cored around a few coders working on fixing stuff up on whatever the various boxes they were playing with at the time... and in most cases it was done without any help from the factories or Amlogic... in fact in a lot of cases the various factories had their coders hanging around on some of these sites actually taking the fixes and then putting them into the factory software... most of all knew who the various factory guys were so they werent all that smart at hiding...

FreakTab and XDA Developers are probably the best of those types of sites still around these days...

Anyways thats a brief history of whats kinda gone on in the Android box scene for the last few years and hopefully will help explain why to some of use the idea of the best Android box is not about some particular brand but rather more about the best boxes are the ones that have active developers working on them... Understanding that should point out why its more important to pay the extra couple of bux in some cases to buy from someone active in the scene and not just go pick up the cheapest box from places like Amazon, Ebay, Ali-Express as NONE of those places offer any real support and is the single biggest reason people are running around looking for help all the time to the point its given the Android Box Scene a bad reputation for being crap and not working...

Developers such as myself and many others provide reliable systems that actually perform extremely well when compared to Kodi's performance on a full blown pc but because we want to stay small for various reasons i people don't realize that and just blame the whole scene...

Sorry for the history lesson and its really much more complicated then what ive stated but in answer to the question...

the best android box... Is One thats being actively supported by people NOT related to the factory or the Chipset Maker...

K4Me

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 08:54:24 am »
^^^ Very interesting reading and insights on what is happening in the background or under the covers. But what does this all mean to the typical user? I am using one of the S912 boxes with 3GB ram and it appears to be run smoothly, so I ask the question carefully as I might be better off not knowing what I am missing.

sarah

• +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 11:58:50 am »
I too have an S912 and I hope that it doesn't start to give me problems in future!

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 06:07:35 pm »
I dont think anyones got anything to fear or worry about...

Its just more of a informed reason to avoid getting ripped off by Amlogic and the factories that have relied on their business partnering with Amlogic which is forcing users up off of a older chipset that finally was working almost flawlessly when running Kodi for streaming purposes for no reason other then to gain back control over their market which is stuck in Android while delivering poor performance as compared to what that actual SoC is able to do...

As i said earlier... the only real reason people even have any type of reliable use of the device as a streaming source was pretty much gained NOT from any help from Amlogic or the factories its ALL came from a number of 3rd party coders that fixed Android's issues as well as in a number of cases actually being responsible for porting various box models up to the newer Android versions... Factories don't care about updates once the initial box is introduced as they are all busy competing with each other for sales and new boxes are the way they do that, so once the box is out and being sold they are busy putting their resources into creating new box models leaving the older ones to hang in the breeze...

How many realize that in almost all cases when theres a new version of Android available for a box its not coming from the factory initially... its come from the 3rd party coders and then maybe if the factory still values the model they will follow up with a newer Android version usually borrowed from what they find in the public... If Amlogic and the factories had their way they would use the introduction of a newer version of Android as a excuse to force people to buy a newer modei... which is kinda what was happening in the old and lead to 3rd party coders taking a interest in the 1st place...

So the real world results of the issues with something like the S912 are not based in the fact that i wont work its more that the chip is running at maybe 60% of what its spec'd as being able to do with no real easy way for people to improve that... In the S912 the issue is mostly focused on the graphics processor as in the case of the S912 Amlogic choose to change to a faster and better future in the Midgard T82x while refusing to buy the DDK which would allow them to update and better tailor that graphix chip as the video modes improve in the next few years...

Why Amlogic chose to go this way is a debate amongst some in the community as the only real gain that most can agree on is by doing this its shut out any help from outside of Amlogic and whoever it decides to help... For the community thats a big deal because as ive said before without the 3rd party coders the bad reputation that the Android box marker has developed for poor and crappy systems by some people will never improve until Amlogic decides to fix things... History proves they've not done any of that in the past so why would anyone expect that to change in the future, especially if they can just keep revolving and forcing people to newer boxes...

Heres an example based on the older S812... how many people actually had the ethernet running at gigabit level... not many... pretty much all factory software which relied on Amlogic all ran their hard links at 100meg... yet the chip is capable of running at gigabit speeds... some of the 3rd party coders had gigabit by creating the missing code parts that Amlogic refused to include... thats just one example as there are many over the years of similar crap...

Anyways so moving forward as H265 and newer protocols for streaming appear and higher end sound and improved cec performance become reality's amongst other things just who and how are these fixes and improvements going to take place?

Thats the downside of buying into whats currently Amlogics top of the SoC development and people are paying a premium for that chip over the lower priced S905X and as more people start to figure out whats going on the factories entice people by raising the cost point even higher but try and justify it by adding more sram and bigger flash... and heres the real kick in the teeth... being a hardware/software developer i can say for sure that the extra price tacked on for that extra sram or flash is probably 2 to 3 times higher then actual cost of the chips themselves... i buy sram and flash all the time and the cost of adding a extra set of sram chips costs nowheres near what they are increasing the boxs overall all cost...

So essentially its not that those boxes are not going to work its that people are being ripped off and lead to believe the S912 is  a better therefore more expensive box when the reality is its performance is nowhere near what it should be which other then the increased sram and flash size makes it not much better then the cheaper S905x... and if you don't think Amlogic would lie about crap, then do some googling and come to realize just how long they lied about it being able to run at 2ghz and it was only recently they came clean and changed their marketing material to reflect its 1.5ghz speed limit... and the only reason they finally came clean was because the micrographs and wafer information for fab level leaked out proving they new there was a flaw at die level that limits the cap right from design point...

Ive probably overloaded people with info now... lol... so i will just end on this point... knowing all of this makes wonder how many would have just stayed on the cheaper chips because in most cases people are really on this platform because of Kodi and as coder from Kodi's original start as XBMP i can say 2gig of sram is plenty to probably keep even the newest versions of Kodi running smoothly for many years... and eventually as the factories follow Amlogics lead will overprice themselves out of the market as people finally move up to the more expensive solutions where the people behind them are actually spending the money and putting in the time to further develop those platforms while leaving the cheaper market to die... in all honesty the only reason the cheap market flourishes is because of the hackers that like to truly take control of the toys they buy which is whats brought the ABox market to where it currently is because of the nature of open source... the more expensive platforms tend to be proprietary which is a different game... 

As well there is one more twist to the S912 that most are not yet aware of as its been of no concern so far but in light of whats going on with the laws changing and the Anti-Streaming lobbiest pushing for, is that at the core of of the S912 is something called the ATFF which is Arm's trusted firmware framework which basically is a framework that provides and outlines how a arm core could lock up the bootloader and its something that Amlogic has now incorporated into this SoC...in short it would stop people from playing around and loading code onto the chip that others create... personally i can't see that happening as some fear but what is of concern is that the framework could be enhanced to create a way of locking up streams in the future stopping the offshore streaming in its tracks... Things are already in the works in some respects to that as the UK football league has been entertaining talks with Nagravision which has already said given a year they could put a conditional access system in place... The older Amlogic SoC's never had that framework, which would always lead to methods of defeating a CAS...

Anyways i'll stop babbling now, but my intent is not to say the chip is a bad chip its just not what it could be and people are being sold on them when theres cheaper and better alternatives at this point in time...

sarah

• +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 02:58:06 am »
Interesting, especially the last paragraph.

The older boxes might have an important part to play in future!

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 09:50:39 am »
I really wish people would stop telling people to buy S912 based devices... i realize they are current and maybe some of the older boxes are deemed obsolete by some people...

Don't take my word... check around and you'll find some of the main coders that are producing a lot of code that people are currently running on and they all say the same thing which is not to buy a S912 based box as theres very little support for it from Amlogic ... in particular the T82x graphics chip has NO USERLAND DRIVERS from Amlogic and Amlogic has been qouted as saying they have no intent on producing one... in the end this means pretty much all of the great benefits of the S912 when it comes to graphics will never be realized as the existing support is stuck at the canned version of Android that Amlogic is providing the downstream... So any one buying a S912 will be stuck with whatever came on it as they only real developement is being done by private coders which in a lot of cases is not being made available as more and more coders decide to NOT help Amlogic create a future for that chip when they should have poney'd up and invested in providing all the required drivers in the 1st place...

The S905x is a better choice as the Mali 450 is mature and actually has the proper driver support out there... as far as the S8xx being obsolete... thats only applicable to whats currently being pushed to the public in single sales... the S812 is still available to people buying in bigger quantities directly from the factories... The S812 currently outperforms any of the S9xx based boxes and both the factories and Amlogic know it otherwise the factories would not still offer S812's as oem's and Amlogic would not be producing the chips for them...

The issue is pretty much at a stalemate as Amlogics not really got much new in the pipeline and has now resorted to tempting people by offering the board with more ram and bigger flash but at a increase in cost... more ram and flash is always a good thing but not if your buying into a SoC's thats not really fully supported by its own manufacturer...

The only guy i know publicly thats still working on S912's is Kszaq over on Libreelec and even he says dont buy one as  his attempts are patched together from a bunch of things... so its Android only with out the real benefits of what the T82x graphics chip is actually capable of ... As well Amlogic's finally admitted to and corrected its spec sheet to now fully disclose that chip will only do 1.5ghz and not the 2.0ghz they've been advertising it running at since releasing it...

Anyways... save your money and just buy a S905x based box with the most ram you can afford... it will be cheaper and perform just as good as any S912 box under these current conditions...

Can you please explain to me the difference between the box you are speaking of and the Xiaomi Mi Box which I purchased? I'm just curious. Thanks

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 11:13:39 am »
Personally ive never had the opportunity to look at the motherboard in the Xiaomi Mi box and have never ran into anyone working on them codewise... From taking a quick look at the online specs i can find i would venture a quess that because its on the Mali 450 that its a S90x of some type and further seeing as it says it supports bluetooth that its actually a S905X and not the older S905 which gets passed off as the newer S905x by certain Dealers all the time...

Xiaomi is a huge manufacturer and one of the largest cell phone makers in the world as well as tv's and a lot of other consumer electronics... The box appears to have been introduced in the Asian market to provide a system somewhat similar to what Amazon's trying to do with its Fire stuff and eventually came to be marketed Internationally to compete on the open market... The good point would be that Xiaomi i am sure knows what its doing as compared to Amazon as it actually engineers and produces its products and would have all the expertise in house to support what it sells... Amazon's just another box reseller with no real vested interest in what its selling as its just trying to cash in on the current market with as little investment as possible...

As far as applying what i've talked about reqarding the S912 chip the good part is the technical information for the graphics and rest of the S905 is out there and available to anyone taking on coding for this box...

From what on-line specs i can find the only downside i see is the lack of a ethernet port which if your sure you can make work locally in your case is ok and probably not that big of a deal... for me personally tho that would be a deal breaker as i would never buy a device without it having a real ethernet port if streaming was my basic reason for having the device...

As far as 3rd party coders go i don't know of any working on this device and have not seen any real threads on Freaktab or any of the other places i frequent... thats not to say there is not any as there could be private guys that don't post stuff or maintain any github sources for this box...

hatrix

• +29/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 11:30:10 am »
Personally ive never had the opportunity to look at the motherboard in the Xiaomi Mi box and have never ran into anyone working on them codewise... From taking a quick look at the online specs i can find i would venture a quess that because its on the Mali 450 that its a S90x of some type and further seeing as it says it supports bluetooth that its actually a S905X and not the older S905 which gets passed off as the newer S905x by certain Dealers all the time...

Xiaomi is a huge manufacturer and one of the largest cell phone makers in the world as well as tv's and a lot of other consumer electronics... The box appears to have been introduced in the Asian market to provide a system somewhat similar to what Amazon's trying to do with its Fire stuff and eventually came to be marketed Internationally to compete on the open market... The good point would be that Xiaomi i am sure knows what its doing as compared to Amazon as it actually engineers and produces its products and would have all the expertise in house to support what it sells... Amazon's just another box reseller with no real vested interest in what its selling as its just trying to cash in on the current market with as little investment as possible...

As far as applying what i've talked about reqarding the S912 chip the good part is the technical information for the graphics and rest of the S905 is out there and available to anyone taking on coding for this box...

From what on-line specs i can find the only downside i see is the lack of a ethernet port which if your sure you can make work locally in your case is ok and probably not that big of a deal... for me personally tho that would be a deal breaker as i would never buy a device without it having a real ethernet port if streaming was my basic reason for having the device...

As far as 3rd party coders go i don't know of any working on this device and have not seen any real threads on Freaktab or any of the other places i frequent... thats not to say there is not any as there could be private guys that don't post stuff or maintain any github sources for this box...
i have a close friend who picked up the xiaomi box.
it seems to run everything ok butttt it runs AndroidTV and not a regular android os so it is a little hard to do things than other devices and i personally dont like it.
power wise it runs smooth.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 02:05:39 pm »
cool... thanx for confirming that... i kinda wondered if they had their own version being Xiaomi is as big as they are... since my last post i actually checked a few more sites i know where coders are and have not found anyone messing around with them sofar or any out in the public projects for it...

if someone knows wheres theres a firmware link for it, post it and when i get some time i would not mind ripping it apart and taking a look at it...

hatrix

• +29/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 02:22:46 pm »
cool... thanx for confirming that... i kinda wondered if they had their own version being Xiaomi is as big as they are... since my last post i actually checked a few more sites i know where coders are and have not found anyone messing around with them sofar or any out in the public projects for it...

if someone knows wheres theres a firmware link for it, post it and when i get some time i would not mind ripping it apart and taking a look at it...
i've done some digging around for firmware but it looks like the only thing out there is a beta build of nougat that xiaomi hasnt fully released. It originally shipped with android 6.0 tv. As i said before i personally dont like it since i prefer a pure android and not tv. It also doesnt have an ethernet port. It isn't a terrible option for those wanting a reliable box with a larger brand behind it. You can also buy these at walmart.

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 03:45:23 pm »

i've done some digging around for firmware but it looks like the only thing out there is a beta build of nougat that xiaomi hasnt fully released. It originally shipped with android 6.0 tv. As i said before i personally dont like it since i prefer a pure android and not tv. It also doesnt have an ethernet port. It isn't a terrible option for those wanting a reliable box with a larger brand behind it. You can also buy these at walmart.

So what y'all are saying is that it does not have any firmware updates and may have not been the best choice. I know nothing about coding and processors,I just wanted to switch from using my laptop to cast kodi via my Roku.

hatrix

• +29/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 03:52:47 pm »

So what y'all are saying is that it does not have any firmware updates and may have not been the best choice. I know nothing about coding and processors,I just wanted to switch from using my laptop to cast kodi via my Roku.
no the xiaomi box is fine sara. It should be able to do everything you want it to. The current firmware will run everything now and it is supposed to be updated to 7.0 nougat soon with is one of the newest. It is completely powerful enough. I believe it is a S905x like buzz stated. Do you happen to have the model number?

The negatives i have against it are more personal reasons and things only advanced users will really care about.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 04:34:06 pm »
Hatrix is right...

I was basically just saying that sofar i see no 3rd party projects going on out in the public which means the box support will have to come from Xiaomi... as well i as making the point that Xiaomi is way more capable and likely to support future upgrades then Amazon will... Amazon is just basically another oem branded box from the normal factories that produce pretty much all of the Android boxes in the cheaper market...

As i look thru stuff i see Canada Computers and Gearbest selling the unit and they tend to be picky about what they sell, which is a good sign... normally eric at gearbest does his best to keep firmware for what they sell but i can't find anything for the MiBox on his site yet... i really would like to see a firmware file for the box as i am curious about something regarding the AndroidTV version they are actually using...

Personally i just dont like the fact that they omitted the ethernet port as it makes the unit somewhat usless for anyone with wireless issues for whatever the reasons maybe...

So basically it looks like the box is a cheaper competitor of the Nvidea Shield platform running the AndroidTV os rather then the normal Android OS...

As Hatrix said i think your fine and probably better off then a lot that have been buying Amazon boxes as Xiaomi definately looks like the type of company that looks after what it develops and sells, using the cell phone industry as a indicator which is probably one of the most competitive industries out there they seem to be very good at it...

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 04:39:00 pm »

no the xiaomi box is fine sara. It should be able to do everything you want it to. The current firmware will run everything now and it is supposed to be updated to 7.0 nougat soon with is one of the newest. It is completely powerful enough. I believe it is a S905x like buzz stated. Do you happen to have the model number?

The negatives i have against it are more personal reasons and things only advanced users will really care about.
MDZ-16-AB

hatrix

• +29/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 04:55:28 pm »

MDZ-16-AB

Ok thats what i thought, that box is completely fine :)

Sara5dawn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 05:23:54 pm »

MDZ-16-AB

Ok thats what i thought, that box is completely fine :)
Thanks hatrix!! I figured it was, but reading all the posts about the technical stuff kinda confused me. Gonna leave all that tech talk to y'all LOL. :) :)