KodiTips Forums

iCanuck NHL Streams?

hansolo77

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
iCanuck NHL Streams?
« on: September 19, 2017, 08:26:01 pm »
Last year the iCanuck repository had a fantastic stream addon called "NHL Streams".  It was able to play live games as well as previous games.  I lost the addon when I upgraded my box to Kodi 17 and haven't been able to reinstall it.  The new season of NHL has started (with the first preseason game of my home team on right now (watching via SportsDevil)).  I'd really like to get this addon again, or something similar/better if things have changed.  Ultimately, just looking for any information.  Thanks guys!

GOAT

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: iCanuck NHL Streams?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:58:40 am »
NHL Streams was a fork of Lazyman.  Google "Lazyman Reddit" and you should find it.  Apparently it works for baseball too?

hansolo77

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 04:41:31 pm »
I was not aware of that, thanks!  I will look it up and see if I can find it.  :)

hansolo77

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 07:30:09 pm »
I believe I found the addon you speak of.  I assume posting the link to it is forbidden, or you would have posted it for me.  Anyway, I'm running Kodi 17.4 via LibreELEC on a Raspberry Pi 3.  Because of that, I downloaded the Linux version of the addon.  I installed it via "install from zip".  It says it installed ok, but it gives me an error about needing to update the HOSTS file.  I tried to do that, and confirmed the HOSTS was updated and saved.  It still gives me errors though.  Anybody have any ideas?  Here are the latest errors I'm getting (I can see the list of games now, and get the choice of streams, but they don't play)

19:29:34.081 T:971420576   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.IOError'>
                                            Error Contents: [Errno socket error] timed out
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/video.lazyman.nhl.tv/addon.py", line 158, in <module>
                                                router(sys.argv[2][1:])
                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/video.lazyman.nhl.tv/addon.py", line 138, in router
                                                playgame(params['date'],params['feedId'])
                                              File "/storage/.kodi/addons/video.lazyman.nhl.tv/addon.py", line 119, in playgame
                                                response = urllib.urlopen(contentUrl)
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib.py", line 87, in urlopen
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib.py", line 213, in open
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib.py", line 350, in open_http
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 1038, in endheaders
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 882, in _send_output
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 844, in send
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 821, in connect
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 575, in create_connection
                                            IOError: [Errno socket error] timed out
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

hansolo77

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 07:34:06 pm »
Nobody has any suggestions for me to try?  Is my problem too vague?  I'm eager to make this work.  Please help!  Thanks!

RodgerB

• +19/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 08:43:30 pm »
I tried it too, and yes it is messed up. No ideas other than use a different add on. Cheers

hansolo77

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 10:09:56 pm »
I guess the Windows version is working.  People in the Reddit are watching games just fine.  It's acting like the python script isn't written right, giving errors on the lines that require it to communicate with the server to playing the streams.  The addon itself seems to work (displaying the games and their available streams) up to the point of actually starting the stream.  Bummer that you're having the problem too.  Makes me feel a little better though knowing it's not something I'm doing wrong (although maybe we bother are...).

RodgerB

• +19/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 10:48:50 pm »
Check sports devil, live sports, dimsports .eu. It has been really dependable lately. Cheers.

GOAT

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 11:17:41 pm »
Nobody has any suggestions for me to try?  Is my problem too vague?  I'm eager to make this work.  Please help!  Thanks!

I'm not sure exactly what your problem is, but the Kodi addon is working perfectly for me on a raspberry pi 3 running OpenELEC.  You could try using NHL streams, but you have to dive into the code a little to change the IP that it automatically writes to the hosts file.

hansolo77

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 10:42:35 pm »
What "Kodi addon" are you using?  The only ones I see available to download from reddit are the Windows, Mac, and Linux.  Since the Pi 3 runs on a Linux OS, that's the one I have been trying to use.  As for "NHL streams", I don't know where to get that addon since iCanuck no longer has it.

What part of the code do I need to change?  According to the few threads I read on reddit, I just have to make sure the host file is set up correctly, which I'm pretty sure I've done, unless the ip/dns addresses are wrong..

GOAT

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 11:05:56 pm »
What "Kodi addon" are you using?  The only ones I see available to download from reddit are the Windows, Mac, and Linux.  Since the Pi 3 runs on a Linux OS, that's the one I have been trying to use.  As for "NHL streams", I don't know where to get that addon since iCanuck no longer has it.

What part of the code do I need to change?  According to the few threads I read on reddit, I just have to make sure the host file is set up correctly, which I'm pretty sure I've done, unless the ip/dns addresses are wrong..

Kodi add-on: https://www.reddit.com/r/LazyMan/comments/6si4d3/kodi_addon_v107_with_mlbtv_support/

hansolo77

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 11:18:49 pm »
GOT IT TO WORK!!!!  Raspberry Pi 3, LibreELEC, Kodi 17.4
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Solution.. you have to download the latest version from their thread at reddit.  If you download the one on their download link at the right, it doesn't work.  Bugs in the python script.  If you download the one linked in their first topic ("Kodi addon v1.0.7 with MLB.tv support") it works.  Once you have it downloaded, install via Addons->Install from Zip.  You then have to go in and set the quality and steaming source.  It doesn't write that config during install, so you have to pick your settings first.  Once that's done, you'll have to update the hosts file so it knows where to go to get the streams.  Using SSH, or SFTP, you're going to want to edit the file located at "/storage/.config/hosts.conf".  Using SSH, you can edit with built in Linux utility "nano".  SFTP you can edit it with anything you want, and just upload the edited file back.  When you launch the addon, it will check for the connection, and if it doesn't work it will tell you the IP address to change in the hosts file.  Basically all I had to do was create a new line, have the IP address in first, then a space, then the DNS (words) that the IP goes to next, then another space, and the OTHER DNS (there are 2 now, one for NHL and one for MLB).  Since both DNS's point to the same IP, you just have to have them both on the same line with the IP.  That's it.  Save it or upload it.  Then reboot.  Everything should then be working!

Apparently the issues we're having is because of the version of the file we downloaded.  It must not be updated yet on the actual download link/wiki.  But if you use the one provided in the 1st topic, it works perfectly fine!  Couldn't be happier, caught the last 2 minutes of my home team win their first of 4 pre-season games!  I even went back and verified the PREVIOUS games will work too!  Haven't tested MLB.

hansolo77

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 11:20:35 pm »
Kodi add-on: https://www.reddit.com/r/LazyMan/comments/6si4d3/kodi_addon_v107_with_mlbtv_support/

Yup!  I wasn't sure if we were allowed to post direct links here so I was trying my best to just describe where to go.  I wonder why they never set up a repository.. would make things a lot easier.

yourno1fan

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 10:20:16 pm »
GOT IT TO WORK!!!!  Raspberry Pi 3, LibreELEC, Kodi 17.4
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Solution.. you have to download the latest version from their thread at reddit.  If you download the one on their download link at the right, it doesn't work.  Bugs in the python script.  If you download the one linked in their first topic ("Kodi addon v1.0.7 with MLB.tv support") it works.  Once you have it downloaded, install via Addons->Install from Zip.  You then have to go in and set the quality and steaming source.  It doesn't write that config during install, so you have to pick your settings first.  Once that's done, you'll have to update the hosts file so it knows where to go to get the streams.  Using SSH, or SFTP, you're going to want to edit the file located at "/storage/.config/hosts.conf".  Using SSH, you can edit with built in Linux utility "nano".  SFTP you can edit it with anything you want, and just upload the edited file back.  When you launch the addon, it will check for the connection, and if it doesn't work it will tell you the IP address to change in the hosts file.  Basically all I had to do was create a new line, have the IP address in first, then a space, then the DNS (words) that the IP goes to next, then another space, and the OTHER DNS (there are 2 now, one for NHL and one for MLB).  Since both DNS's point to the same IP, you just have to have them both on the same line with the IP.  That's it.  Save it or upload it.  Then reboot.  Everything should then be working!

Apparently the issues we're having is because of the version of the file we downloaded.  It must not be updated yet on the actual download link/wiki.  But if you use the one provided in the 1st topic, it works perfectly fine!  Couldn't be happier, caught the last 2 minutes of my home team win their first of 4 pre-season games!  I even went back and verified the PREVIOUS games will work too!  Haven't tested MLB.

I have no experience with modifying the host file... Would you care to give a fellow hockey fan a hand.  I can connect to my box using terminal through ssh but I'm unclear how exactly to format the lines to edit. Any help really appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:11:44 pm by yourno1fan »

Iggs

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 05:35:36 am »
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com         
       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com             

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 09:35:49 am »
Thanks for all the help guys.. trying to get this working and I'm having a crazy brain freeze trying to determine where i get the updated IP to add into the hosts file.. help please??? thanks all

Iggs

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 01:28:30 pm »
Install the Add-on and run it.  It will check your host file and let you know if you're good.  If not, it will give you the information you need in a small pop up window.  Edit you host file, save and reboot.  Before running the Add-on, go into the Add-ons settings and change the video quality and network.  Click out and run the Add-on.  It will check again that your host file is now corrected.  If you get to the game you want but it won't load, go back into settings and make a change to the video quality and/or network and try again.

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 07:33:52 am »
Thanks for the help! those steps worked BUT, for anyone else having Host file issues I had to do 2 things:

* Added an empty line at the end of the hosts file
* saved the hosts file using Notepad++ as a "unix" file - Edit -> EOL Conversion -> UNIX/OSX Format

So its working now, no errors.. now I sit and wait for puck drop to see how it works! thanks all

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 08:57:49 pm »
basically the hosts file will be used by the local machine for name to ip resolution prior to the os's networking stack redirecting to the normal dns servers for name to ip resolution...

so if you know some name to ip that you want to equate to each other put it into the hosts file... then the next time you try and go there it will use that name to ip resolutution without going any further in DNS lookup...

i dont use that plugin so im not famiiar with exacty how it works and what depends it expects in the host operating system but thought i would mention that LibreELEC is not a full Linux os as its based on OpenElec which is a small linux install based around running Kodi so if you run into other problems you may want to check LibreElecs forums and see if anyones using it and its known to work for sure on LibreELEC...

daviddep

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 09:02:15 pm »
Hey Fans,

if you are using FIRETV Player or Stick, you cannot "modify host Files"...  w/o taking the device apart...so im told... so i have to use laptop, running HDMI to my Flat Screen.  Also have to log in as administrator.   host files auto modify..  i watched all last year..

this year.... i'll have to figure out how to get the addon, as metal kettle and fusion are done..

sportsdevils has most games most nights, but the streams are worse than SD, but Stopstream.com is pretty decent.....   Sportsarefree also has games in HD, but not everynight...and buffering issues....
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:24:16 pm by daviddep »

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 11:18:36 pm »
you can modify the file... its just not easy as you need to know how to mod the firmware file on a computer when you uncompress it and mount it... but then you need to do your mods and recompress and reflash the firmware file... thats a real pain in the butt...

if your going to mod the firmware file its better to create a hook in the firmware that will tell it to check for a user added host file in the user area thats writable, then drop your custom file in that area when ever you want to edit it... that way the OS when looking up will overide the hardcoded one in the OS...

Most forks of OpenELEC, like LibreELEC and others use that method to check for user written config files placed in the userspace which is writeable...