KodiTips Forums

The Best Box

tony527

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
The Best Box
« on: September 20, 2017, 11:29:59 am »
Is the fastest box the best box ? When trying to watch the fight on Saturday it kept freezing I am using firestick will a faster box eliminate the freezing? Thanks in advance

sarah

• +10/-10
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Box
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 11:38:33 am »
It probably depends on your broadband speed.

flhthemi

• +11/-2
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 10:05:00 am »
Yes IP speed is a big factor but so is your home network's speed. Firesticks are wifi devices. Wifi devices are subject to RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). Things like wireless speakers, baby monitors, security cams and even your microwave oven can hose up your Wifi's speed. Symptoms would be slow internet connection (pages load slow), streams freezing/dropping out, slow file transfers from the Firestick to another device on your network.

I have had issues with baby monitors and wireless rear surround speakers! Through the process of elimination I found the culprits. Baby monitor was only used when the grand kids were here when they were babies so it's gone now. But fortunately the speakers transmitter allowed me to select a different channel and my router allowed me to change the wifi channel.   I used speedtest.net and saw that the speed was like 5mbs and it should have been closer to 45mbs as that's what I'm paying for. Speed on a wired PC was as it should be so that pointed me to the Wifi for the device I was using. Started turning off 1 wireless device at a time and found the transmitter for the speakers was doing the dirty work. So I moved them to opposite ends of the radio spectrum. speakers closer to ch11 and router on ch1.
Problem solved!

But now, every device I have Kodi on is on cat5 and stream sources seems to be the problem for a video playing smooth.

If there is a lot of access/demand to the source stream from all over the world...you'll probably have issues and should seek a different stream source if you can. Prime time affects things too. If I try to watch between 7PM and 10PM, I just have to try other sources. Openload usually works well for me but you have to go through the pairing process. I just use my browser on my phone.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:21:35 am by flhthemi »

hatrix

• +29/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 12:25:53 pm »
the "Best box" is pretty subjective. If you are comfortable with the standard android interface then alot of the newer S912 boxes with 3 or 4gb of ram will do the trick. You want to make sure you hardwire the internet to them for the best experience possible.

Cymbalta

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 03:23:35 pm »
I'm running a TX5 Pro Android Box, all is good. Slightly dark - But sorted that with an app from the google store screen adjuster. The Q Box is being pushed a lot over here in Ireland. Was checking out the specs on a Nvidia Shield Tv box - HUGE!! jump in price but a lot more diversity on it.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 10:18:56 pm »
the best box is one that works...

When it comes to Android boxes they are all pretty all the same as theyre mostly clones of maybe a dozen or so original models produced by about 4 major factories... usually they are either Amlogic or Rockchip based with about 2 0r 3 actual SoC's being used by either maker... theres a few others but those 2 are the main players... Amlogic will produce or assist in the production of basic Android version for the factories building boxes and Rockchip does the similar thing...

From this you should be able to see based on the 100's of so-called different boxes just how little they really differ... usually theres a 1 or 2 gig version and then a couple of different versions based on flash storage size...

The real important part is to buy something that actually has someone or a group of people developing new software for the box your going to buy... never ever buy anything believing the dealer or manufacturer is going to give you future support... its pretty much non existant at that level... old stuff ya maybe... theres a few dealers that do go way beyond and actually try to keep software for what they sell updated and on-line but not many... 

Don't cheap out... otherwise you'll probably end up with something thats short-lived as software such as Kodi is a work in progress and unless you've got the skillset to code or want to invest the time to learn you will just be another pissed off box buyer that figured he got talked into something that can't work... Boxes that are actually supported mean someones actually spending time coding and updating and keeping things fixed so the ones doing that tend to charge more for their units to cover their costs...

People willing to spend a bit more should be looking at things more like the nvidea box or maybe a stripped down dedicated pc running linux...

As far as the current chipset and boxes out there , keep this in mind... most of the S9xx boxes coming from Amlogic are basically pretty up and down as pretty much all of them are running on a generic Android version produced by Amlogic for the factories so they don't have to invest in that area... in most cases that was ok but now with so many clones (clones are copies of someone else's basic board but with some chips swapped out to reduce the cloners costpoint) that basically swipe someone elses code as they usually don't know much about coding, so its left a real mess out there... then as companies like Amazon seen the revenue stream they were missing they decided to jump and have a oem box branded to them and paid for the code adjustments to make it work with their own CDN streaming system which is why the Fireshit works ok with Amazons streaming but tends to suck when it comes to streaming public stuff...

Amlogic has forced the makers up to the newer chipset (S905 or S912) just about the time the older S8xx boxes were finally getting good software from the private coders... so if you must buy a S90x box i would definately never pay the extra to buy any or the S912 boxes just because they got 3 or 4 gigs of ram... the cost isnt worth the gains in ram when you factor in the problems with the S912 and the graphics chipset... the mali T820 chipset is extremely poorly supported by Amlogic who claims they never even bought the Developement Kit from Arm for the mali chip so theres real issues with the userland drivers when it comes to any of the S912 based boxes... Amlogic seems to be depending on the private coders in developing better graphics firmware for that chip and it seems now that one by one the guys that were working publicly on that stuff are now going private and doing their own thing so theres still no real userland drivers other then the crappy one embedded in the generic Android OS they have provided to all their downstream builders...

Sorry Hatrix... don't mean to contradict what you said reqarding the S912 but from a developers point what i've said are real issues regarding the S912 and in light of denser streaming resolutions these days the last thing you want as a weak point in your setup is graphics drivers... A real S905x is a better and cheaper choice because the Mali 450 has all the required drivers out there...

Flhthemi... i would agee with you said and more people should pay attention to that..

anyways just some thoughts... hope they help