KodiTips Forums

Portable kodi??

TonyH

• +15/-2
    • View Profile
Portable kodi??
« on: June 21, 2017, 03:25:03 pm »
I had this idea the other day and haven't had a chance to try it out yet... I'm going on a cruise and there are a lot of at sea days and I wanted to bring some movies along... At home I have a hdd plugged into the router set up as a nas, my thought was to bring the router with the hdd, plug it in ( not connected to the internet of course) and let it broadcast wifi to my fire stick that is connected to the tv in my cabin. The signal might even be strong enough to reach my wife's parents cabin next door. We could then have access to my entire collection of movies, tv shows, music, ect from multiple devices.
Is this even possible?
Let me know what you think

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Portable kodi??
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 08:43:37 pm »
Seems like a lot of complicated work.  Why not just have 2 portable HDs.  You could have different stuff on each.  They would provide independence and be more dependable IMHO.  KISS
Broadcasting on ship may not be a good idea.
I don't see the relationship to Kodi.
I'm probably missing the boat here!!

TonyH

• +15/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 09:45:59 pm »
The only connection to the amazon fire stick is wifi. I was just using kodi on the fire stick as my media player connected to the hdd through the network.
I was thinking the same thing about broadcasting on the ship, but its like having a personal hot spot turned on from your phone, and we will be in international waters, lol
I just got home and tested it, it works great! The fire stick wont open the 'home' page unless there is a internet connection, so I went to settings, apps, manage installed apps, and opened kodi from there.
It was more of a fun thing to try, but since it works so well, I think I will be taking it with me.

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 04:35:37 am »
Thanks for the explanation.
ein gode farte (my German spelling is as bad as my English, so its probably misspelled!)
It means have a good trip.  My boys loved it when we first moved to D.
Anyway - have a good trip.

Buzz Marshall

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 07:35:00 pm »
No reason it shouldn't work... Kodi runs on just about anything these days...

why not just do away with android on the firestick and go with something like LibreElec or some other linux based OS that way Kodi fires right up and performs much better then having Android waste most of its resources...

TonyH

• +15/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 08:08:18 pm »
I hear what your saying, good idea. I do want to set up a new box sometime.
I already have all the hardware and don't want to buy anything else rite now, what box do you recommend?

Buzz Marshall

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 04:24:23 pm »
I hear what your saying, good idea. I do want to set up a new box sometime.
I already have all the hardware and don't want to buy anything else rite now, what box do you recommend?

Depending on whether or not you want to stick with Android or not... if yes to the Android OS then just about any mainstream box will do but in all honesty pretty much of the S90x based units seem to have issues one way or another as the manufacturers are just pumping out the newest of everything without and real software support other then the initial versions of Android they are sticking on the box... just make sure to pick a mainstream box so your ensured of actual firmware updates as that chipset matures...

If your thinking of going the linux box way with kodi try and find a good old solid S812 box like Eny's M8S... they are considered old but should be cheaper and the newer versions of Kodi work extremely well on them...

Pretty much any of the S90x boxes really can be a pain as amlogic has been really lax at proper support so you should probably check sites like LibreElec and choose a box based on whats actually being supported by the coders there...

Under no circumstances would i tell anyone to buy a S912 based box to stick linux on as theres no really userland video drivers made available from Amlogic and even mainstream coders are struggling to try and get full video support working on those boxes... Ive been coding firmware at assembly level for many years and can tell you its not a road to go down right now... Ive managed to get Kodi 17 and 18 working on the Sunvell T95U Pro and T95K Pro boxes but because of the way i developed the low level drivers they will never be releaased to the public because of licensing issues...

Main thing to keep in mind is to remember the manufacturers and dealers want to pump out the newest stuff to compete BUT these boxes are not like working on a PC where most things are properly supported... the Android industry is notorious for bad software support and in alot of cases the box makers are just scabbing others software so they can sell their products without the cost of software developement...

Anyone can build a box with the newest hardware but without a developement cycle for firmware all the new hardware usually performs no better then the older stuff... why build a rocket if you cant find the fuel to make it go...

With that in mind you'll find in alot of cases the older more maturely developed S812 boxes are way better supported and usually cheaper... just buy a box with 2 gig of ram and as big of storage flash for that box that you can find... 8 or 16 are the typical choices... flash storage can always be increased easily with external flash sticks or drives...

If you dont mind learning and like to play maybe spend a bit of time checking out projects like OpenElec or LibreElec and it will help you choose without buying something you cant find help on...

If you dont mind breaking the bank somewhat the Nvidea boxes are nice and because of their manufacturer you'll find good software support as well...  Anyone these days can buy a Amlogic or Rockchip oem box and easily double or triple their money without providing software buy scabbing firmware from sites like freaktab and others and thats what to watch for...

sorry for the long winded answer but its kinda a loaded question and i know most dealers will try and sell you whatever they have in stock (which is mostly S90x based) saying the newest is the best and then turn their backs on you leaving to find things on your own once you've bought it.

hope i didn't confuse you and helped in some way... take care...

TonyH

• +15/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 04:54:04 pm »
Wow, thanks for the info!
I really appreciate it

Buzz Marshall

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 05:45:10 pm »
no probs... ya sometimes i just never know when to shut up...
have a good one...

hatrix

• +12/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 02:47:29 am »
Bruh.    Don't stay in your room watching tv on a cruise lol

Buzz Marshall

• +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 03:21:32 pm »
lol.. good one...

better to get your buzz on and just pass out and then wake up the next day and start all over again...

TonyH

• +15/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 03:48:51 pm »
Lol! There will be plenty of drinking and passing out for sure!

hatrix

• +12/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 04:14:18 pm »
Lol! There will be plenty of drinking and passing out for sure!
now that's what i like to hear!
and if you go and drunkenly mess up your kodi, we are here to help :)