KodiTips Forums

kodi buffering problems

rick47591

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
kodi buffering problems
« on: September 22, 2017, 12:21:45 pm »
I've got both a Firestick and a FireTV.  Both have 17.4 Krypton installed. 

Here's my problem:

I have a 50mb internet speed.  I can watch any app or any amazon prime tv or movie without buffering problems.  I use the porsche tv and bmw tv apps along with the pluto tv app without any buffering problems. 

I have installed the AresWizard and tweaked my settings.  I never had any buffering problems with Kodi 16.3 but began having the buffering problem with kodi 17.3 and 17.4 versions installed. 

I don't see a need to use the VPN thing.  My internet provider, New Wave, does not throttle back my internet speed.  If they were doing so, then I feel I would be having problems using Amazon Prime and the other apps I previously mentioned.  I am also downloading adult movies on the internet as well and will download 4-5 movies at the same time while watching another adult movie online.  So if my internet provider were throttling back my speed, then I should notice it on my internet downloading too. 

I've thought about using the realdebrid but I don't want to pay.  Plus, their site is kinda goofy.  It does not tell you if the payments they want are monthy or yearly fees.  That is the main reason why I am using Firestick and FireTV.  I am tired of paying $$ for crappy tv. 

I have cleared the Cache and Providers on my Kodi.  I have Elysium installed and removed the Exodus because I had read something about it being shutdown. 

So tell me, how can I stop Kodi from buffering all the time?  I've also tried different databases... IMDB and TRAKT.  I am a registered user at Trakt. 

flhthemi

• +10/-0
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
Re: kodi buffering problems
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 01:57:30 pm »
Maybe you should read this, it came from https://www.newwavecom.com/pdf/policies/broadband_service_agreement.pdf

h. Customer understands and agrees that NewWave Communications does not guarantee that any particular amount of bandwidth on the NewWave network or that any speed or throughput of customer’s connection to the NewWave network will be available to the customer. Customer understands and agrees that the speed of the Service provided at Customer’s site will vary depending upon a number of factors, including Customer’s computer system(s) and associated equipment. Internet traffic, and other factors such as system capacity limitations, governmental actions, events beyond NewWave’s control, and system failures, modifications, upgrades, and repairs.
Customer understands that NewWave may use various tools and techniques in order to
effectively manage its networks and to ensure compliance with NewWave’s AUP (Network Management Tools). These may include detecting malicious traffic patterns and preventing the distribution of viruses or other malicious code, and managing network resources through techniques such as limiting the number of peer-to-peer sessions Customer can conduct at the same time, limiting the aggregate bandwidth available for certain usage protocols such as peer-to-peer and newsgroups, and such other Network Management Tools as NewWave may from time to time determine appropriate.
Customer further understands and agrees that, to allocate bandwidth across all of its users, NewWave may employ traffic-management technology, including but not limited to packet-reset technology, which technology may materially slow down the uploading of certain files.

rick47591

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 06:02:15 pm »
FYI, New wave does not limit my internet speed nor my downloading speed.  I monitor it closely and whenever the speed drops which is about once a week for a minute, I make a note of this and then at the end of the month, I have my bill adjusted/lowered.  They have told us repeatedly in my area that the download speed I am paying for will be constant.  And now with that out of the way....

Instead of harping about new wave, why not tell me how to fix my buffering problem?  I've already told you I have no buffering problems using firestick or firetv while watching amazon prime or pluto tv or crackle or any of the other aps.  I watched last week's nfl game on it and it too did not buffer.  So tell me, why can I watch all those other tv shows and movies and download movies on the net to my system without any buffer problems YET kodi is nothing but buffering problems!!!

broknsymetry

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 06:34:16 pm »
Paid services like Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix have their own server farms and are not bandwidth/speed limited like the third party servers of most of the providers that Covenant and the like must use for the questionable content that they stream.  Do you have buffering issues with GVideo sources?  Those use the Google Video cloud servers for content.  Try using device paired sites like Openload, TheVideo, Vidup, etc.  Many people do not wish to use these sources and so do not have as great a load, they often offer HD streams also even though it isn't indicated as such.  You might also include an advancedsettings.xml file in the Kodi userdata folder with the following:

Code: [Select]
<advancedsettings>
<cache>
<buffermode>0</buffermode>
<memorysize>500000000</memorysize>
<readfactor>20</readfactor>
</cache>
</advancedsettings>

adjust the memorysize for however much RAM you want to set aside for buffering.

Others may have better suggestions.  Point is, don't give up.

TonyH

• +35/-3
  • You have a 50-50 chance if you follow my advice 😂
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 07:01:48 pm »
There are probably 15 -20 possible reasons that you are getting buffering. There is a lot of information in these forums about buffering, and more info than you can "shake at stick at" from google. Fixes that work for one or a couple of people, don't help other people at all. There are many things you can try.
I have to say that it still shocks me when people come into this forum looking for help, start being rude to those who are trying to help, and then expect others to want to help them. Do some searching and reading like the people who are trying to help you have!

flhthemi

• +10/-0
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 07:30:36 pm »
FYI, New wave does not limit my internet speed nor my downloading speed.  I monitor it closely and whenever the speed drops which is about once a week for a minute, I make a note of this and then at the end of the month, I have my bill adjusted/lowered.  They have told us repeatedly in my area that the download speed I am paying for will be constant.  And now with that out of the way....

Sorry, I was just trying to help not be a prick.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 01:47:31 am »
There are probably 15 -20 possible reasons that you are getting buffering. There is a lot of information in these forums about buffering, and more info than you can "shake at stick at" from google. Fixes that work for one or a couple of people, don't help other people at all. There are many things you can try.
I have to say that it still shocks me when people come into this forum looking for help, start being rude to those who are trying to help, and then expect others to want to help them. Do some searching and reading like the people who are trying to help you have!

exactly...

As a former Sys-Admin-Op of a actual Internet Service Provider i can tell you that just because some CSR or some cheap home software says your getting x amount of bandwidth that when it comes to trying to maintain a properly performing video stream that they are different animals... speed checking sites or software will generally just bounce a bunch of packets of known size off some server and calculate the numbers based on that, which with most other networking protocols works fine if it goes up or down... Video streaming is not that simple and places a lot more conditions on the connection to deliver the stream consistently... if i'm downloading a web site and pictures or if im downloading a file and some of the packets arrived out of sycn or time usually its ok as the end target will wait for awhile and pick up where it left off... that same issue tho on a video stream is gonna start pixelating and or drop if its waiting to long for the next packet in the sequence to arrive...

I think most people are familiar with the idea of buffering and the idea of setting aside some ram to try and create a cache or buffer to try and hold some packets to overcome those fluctuations in packet wait times but theres another part that i don't think people always pick up on and that lies in the fact that not all packets coming show up at the target device in the same sequential order... on a typical website or file download thats not really a problem because the end result wont get put together until all the pieces arrive and can be assembled in their sequential order so theres no one waiting in real time to see anything like there would be in a video stream...

understanding that and knowing how to deal with it at a code level creates issues as it requires resources and execution time to handle all those requirements while still serving the rest of the system... Full blown computers usually have enough resources to setup proper caching but in most cases usually don't need the cache... small embedded devices are a whole nother story tho... in the case of a Android box just think about how many processes are running underneath any of the apps that are trying to run on top... theres a lot going on already and then trying to setup a cache mechanism and then even more that can try and keep them in their right sequence...thats a lot to do on a small processor...

Regarding Amazon boxs... they damn well SHOULD work properly because the Amazon boxes were designed to stream media from their OWN CDN that they have full control of... it just boogles my mind when people buy a Amazon box that was SPECIFICALLY tailored to receive streamed media from Amazons CDN's and then they expect to get the same result when streaming Non-Amazon streams...

The Kodi 16 ot 17 transition represents a few key changes that effect streaming and networking and depending on what platform your running can have a big impact on how well your streaming works... a lot of media servers these days are using https links which can change certain network conditions... most of the FREE PUBLIC links get overloaded pretty easy and varies from one site to the next, which is why a Real Debrid account is worth the few measly bux they ask...

Amazon boxes as far as for non Amazon use i think are some of the biggest sources of complaints... make no mistake in thinking that any of the Amazon boxes are in any way more special then any of the other 100's of brands of Android boxes, because they aren't... they are just oem boxes that one of the Asian manufactures brand for Amazon, so like most other Android boxes they are prone to bad or weak firmware... Anyone thats been around the scene long enough will tell you, Android boxes aren't really about hardware its more of a they all are only as good as the firmware support you get from whatever brand you buy...