KodiTips Forums

Streaming

herb

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Streaming
« on: September 22, 2017, 03:22:56 pm »
Ok,I'm new to Kodi,this will become obvious over time ,I have a NexboxA95x and have downloaded addons and repos that work but when it comes to streaming live am I missing something? Do I need to install something more than the 4mtester? I cant stream anything live at all,if it does start it stops within seconds.I keep seeing reviews of how great some of these all in one addons are but they dont work for me.I want to buy a subscription for live TV but not until I get this issue fixed.Help me out here please! btw Krypton 17.4 if that matters.   

fracl

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Streaming
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 04:01:41 pm »
Ok,I'm new to Kodi,this will become obvious over time ,I have a NexboxA95x and have downloaded addons and repos that work but when it comes to streaming live am I missing something? Do I need to install something more than the 4mtester? I cant stream anything live at all,if it does start it stops within seconds.I keep seeing reviews of how great some of these all in one addons are but they dont work for me.I want to buy a subscription for live TV but not until I get this issue fixed.Help me out here please! btw Krypton 17.4 if that matters.
It's not you, Kodi sucks for live streaming. I even tried paying for it a few years back but it wasn't better. I know so many ppl using kodi and I never heard any of them saying it works fine. the only time you hear that is on these forums. just watch shows that have already played and are on servers. trust me, you will save yourself a lot of headache.

broknsymetry

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 05:50:47 pm »
Kodi does live streaming as well as any other app (try streaming on Roku), it's just that live streaming in general sucks.  The industry does not (yet) sanction IPTV because they have not yet developed an economic model that will yield a profit.  So, it is often difficult to find stable links.  Of course there are paid services like Hulu Live and Amazon Live but even those offer only limited choices.  Things will get better as more people cut the cord.

As for addons, I suggest foremost Bennu (Phoenix reborn), which until about 3 days ago had very stable links.  Bennu's dev is constantly working to provide content which is not an easy job.  There is also Nemesis (which I just installed), though it's LS links appear to be down at the moment too.

For the more advanced there is Live Streams Pro and Playlist Loader.  With these you're on your own to find streams.  Google "#EXTM3U site:pastebin.com" and limit the date to "Past 24 hours" to "Past Month" for best results.  You can choose which links work and are most stable and create (and maintain) your own m3u file; "free" does not mean "easy".

Others that are more experienced than I may have other or better suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:00:24 pm by broknsymetry »

herb

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 08:36:57 am »
Kodi does live streaming as well as any other app (try streaming on Roku), it's just that live streaming in general sucks.  The industry does not (yet) sanction IPTV because they have not yet developed an economic model that will yield a profit.  So, it is often difficult to find stable links.  Of course there are paid services like Hulu Live and Amazon Live but even those offer only limited choices.  Things will get better as more people cut the cord.

As for addons, I suggest foremost Bennu (Phoenix reborn), which until about 3 days ago had very stable links.  Bennu's dev is constantly working to provide content which is not an easy job.  There is also Nemesis (which I just installed), though it's LS links appear to be down at the moment too.

For the more advanced there is Live Streams Pro and Playlist Loader.  With these you're on your own to find streams.  Google "#EXTM3U site:pastebin.com" and limit the date to "Past 24 hours" to "Past Month" for best results.  You can choose which links work and are most stable and create (and maintain) your own m3u file; "free" does not mean "easy".

Others that are more experienced than I may have other or better suggestions.
I'm not having much luck with Bennu,when I click on a list nothing happens,it was great until the live tv went down last week but now not as easy to use.I have the free 7 channels from ustvnow and they work great but their price for the larger package is not worth it to me.I don't mind paying but I have no idea who to trust because everyone on YT has "The best" and there is nothing stopping them from taking your money and running.As I said I'm new to this and have no idea who to trust.Thank you for your reply!

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 09:38:06 pm »
Kodi is easily capable of streaming live stuff if its got the right firmware...

The thing most people seem to have forgotten about is that kodi's main developement core isn't really anything Android based as its main developers are more interested in mainstream computers... in fact it wasnt all that long ago the actual group was considering no longer even developing a official Android version because of all the backlash over pre-loaded boxes and the fact that the mainstream manufacturers are getting rich off a application they have basically just hi-jacked to boost their sales... the Kodi Team gets nothing out of that at all...

So in reality when it comes to Android boxes theres a generic kinda version thats been maintained because of a few of the core developers but most of the real work for solid Android boxes is being done by Non Team Kodi programmers because they have a interest in some particular box or device...  The Android box scene is so full of copy and cloners that have little to no clue of good firmware so they take whats available for what they are cloning and in most cases the clone process usually swaps out some chips for cheaper alternatives that lead to issues with the box when they sell them... People are just to damn cheap so they usually end up buying the cheapest peice of crap and then struggle trying to get good performance from it...

If your going to buy a Android box, be smart and by one thats at least got some current developers working on maintaining new firmware for it... those are the ones that generally perform better... buying just any old box off the cheapest dealer from ebay or amazon or aliexpress is just plain asking for trouble...

I do my own thing and have for a very long time and can make any of the boxes i build for stream just fine as long as the incoming feed is decent... but to do so i have had to build my own versions of parts of Kodi based on code alterations of my own that i have never pushed up to the public git repo...

I build for very specific boxes that i choose based on quality that has been proven by the plant i buy from... and i have patched things like inputstream.adaptive and inputstream.rtmp as well as wrote my own live caching setup that works much better then the normal setup provided by Kodi or whatever some of the plug-in coders are using... basically i have worked up and done all the fine tuning kodi requires to improve in these areas on stuff outside the normal official github trees... theres others like me out there doing similar stuff and i'm sure if they were to speak they would say the same thing...

Its not that kodi can't do it, its more of a Interest by the Team in Android overall and besides trying to develop and maintain a project like Kodi that operates on damn near every OS out there is pretty tough and the Team deserves kudu's for being able to do it as well as they do, and all to often people who pay nothing for it seem to forget that the coders make nothing while the factories and dealers make millions...

The reality is people should get mad at themselves for being fooled into buying some inferior product with next to NO software support from the cheapest fly by night dealer they can find whos promised them the world and then wants nothing to do with you...

Kodi works just fine when run on a box setup with proper firmware to do so and Linux is the best example to see it being done because just about anybody can compile for a Linux box on a normal computer... Android is a bit tougher but still doable

As far as the NexBox A95x goes... thats part of you problem... they are a real bottom line of box and if its a 1gig ram version its really crap but what ya want for $35 bux... taking it off Android and running it on a Linux based build will definately improve its performance when running Kodi... Nexbox is bad for misleading advertising and if your box has no bluetooth then you've got a S905 not the S905X as they consistantly seem to advertise that box as...