KodiTips Forums

Ouya Box Kodi Exodus Fix

Stumpyndrew1

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Ouya Box Kodi Exodus Fix
« on: September 26, 2017, 02:14:26 pm »
Please help. I am brand new today on here. I have an Ouya Box cuurently with Kodi, and a poo pile of addons that I probably did not install properly in the first place.
It is not functioning properly at all.
I had back surgery 2 weeks ago and am extremely limited on where I can go. I am stranded at home.
I cant get movies live tv live sports etc. I really may have screwed this up.Lol I am 56 years old. Soemwhat computer savy but really need help please.
Many thanks in advance,
Stumpy

Did I post this in the wrong place and I have had the Ouya box for a few years and it used to work just fine from Genesis to 1 Channel Royal Wedding etc.?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:56:03 pm by Stumpyndrew1 »

Admin

• +29/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
Re: Ouya Box Kodi Exodus Fix
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:24:58 am »
Well the Ouya is based on a really old version of Android so I would look into upgrading the OS to something based on Android 5.0 or higher.

The original version of Kodi that came with the Ouya was 14.x and 17.4 is the latest version.. I wouldn't even try to use 14.x as virtually no addons will work for you because they are using dependencies found in the 17.x versions of Kodi.

You can give it a try, but a new box is probably your best/only option

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 07:03:46 pm »
The only way to fix Kodi on those game boxes is to fine and install a AOSP image which is a customized version of Android 5 that will allow you to run a version of Kodi 17 but with some restriction in what kinda of movies it will play...

Doing so will not allow you to stream any H265 media and even Mp4's will have to be software decoded... if you really want to go down that road then i would suggest you go to xda developers site as the guys that created the AOSP image used to be over there...

As a original Kodi coder i can tell you its probably not worth the effort for what you will gain, especially in-light of how the addons your seeking are breaking and evolving all the time and trying to maintain something that off the beaten track will be extremely frustrating for anyone not able to handle their own coding...

The box originally was meant as a game box and ran a hobbled version of Jellybean but because it was posible to use custom launchers in the old days it give it a bit more latitude...

There was a coder on Kodi's site a ways back that used to mess with them but ive not seen him for quite some time and i know at one point in time they were just telling people to stay on the existing version 14 of Kodi and run patched addon's specifically meant to work on older versions of kodi as the only other way to keep it working on Kodi...

Exodus is dead for all intense purposes these days but the newer replacement addons could be made to work but it would take someone to re-code the current addons to work with how the resolvers are now starting to deliver their links and Kodi version 14 would need to be recoded with newer python support and ssl abilities...

Its a doable project but in all likely hood not something your going to find a mainstream coder to take on... there was a time when hackers just playing would have played with something like this but sad to say the unit really has seen its day come and go...

I've got a few years on you and understand where your coming from but truly you would be better to just pick up a cheap S905x based box if you want to play or find some dealer type close to where you are and pick up something S905x based from them thats already setup... its cheaper in the long run and has at least some future to it... or if you really want to cheap out and stream Amazons content pickup one of their cheap boxes... personally i'd say just get a normal None Amazon box that way if your put off by the thought of paying for Amazons streams your not stuck like thousands of other Fire box owners asking for help trying to get it work on normal streams or iptv content...

Hope that helps put things in perspective in a more understandable manner as i realize no-one wants to hear the stuff is not really any good anymore...

Stumpyndrew1

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 10:29:19 am »
The only way to fix Kodi on those game boxes is to fine and install a AOSP image which is a customized version of Android 5 that will allow you to run a version of Kodi 17 but with some restriction in what kinda of movies it will play...

Doing so will not allow you to stream any H265 media and even Mp4's will have to be software decoded... if you really want to go down that road then i would suggest you go to xda developers site as the guys that created the AOSP image used to be over there...

As a original Kodi coder i can tell you its probably not worth the effort for what you will gain, especially in-light of how the addons your seeking are breaking and evolving all the time and trying to maintain something that off the beaten track will be extremely frustrating for anyone not able to handle their own coding...

The box originally was meant as a game box and ran a hobbled version of Jellybean but because it was posible to use custom launchers in the old days it give it a bit more latitude...

There was a coder on Kodi's site a ways back that used to mess with them but ive not seen him for quite some time and i know at one point in time they were just telling people to stay on the existing version 14 of Kodi and run patched addon's specifically meant to work on older versions of kodi as the only other way to keep it working on Kodi...

Exodus is dead for all intense purposes these days but the newer replacement addons could be made to work but it would take someone to re-code the current addons to work with how the resolvers are now starting to deliver their links and Kodi version 14 would need to be recoded with newer python support and ssl abilities...

Its a doable project but in all likely hood not something your going to find a mainstream coder to take on... there was a time when hackers just playing would have played with something like this but sad to say the unit really has seen its day come and go...

I've got a few years on you and understand where your coming from but truly you would be better to just pick up a cheap S905x based box if you want to play or find some dealer type close to where you are and pick up something S905x based from them thats already setup... its cheaper in the long run and has at least some future to it... or if you really want to cheap out and stream Amazons content pickup one of their cheap boxes... personally i'd say just get a normal None Amazon box that way if your put off by the thought of paying for Amazons streams your not stuck like thousands of other Fire box owners asking for help trying to get it work on normal streams or iptv content...

Hope that helps put things in perspective in a more understandable manner as i realize no-one wants to hear the stuff is not really any good anymore...

Thank you so very much Buzz for your very thourough explanation on the current status
 It opened my eyes wide open I must say!!!!!
Im not even going to go down that road of what sounds like a complete reload.. I am not even close to being qualified to do that.
I am in Ontario Canada and would appreciate some recommendations for a replacement device.....I have heard a lot about the Red Rhino....there is another one that was recently mentioned to me but I have forgotten.
Once again I appreciate your clear explanation and totally agree it is not worth the aggravation by the sounds of it on the Ouya.
Many thanks sir,
Stumpy

Stumpyndrew1

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:40:27 am »

Thank you so very much Buzz for your very thourough explanation on the current status
Im not even going to go down that road of what sounds like a complete reload.. I am not even close to being qualified to do that.
I am in Ontario Canada and would appreciate some recommendations for a replacement device.....I have heard a lot about the Red Rhino....there is another one that was recently mentioned to me but I have forgotten.
Once again I appreciate your clear explanation and totally agree it is not worth the aggravation by the sounds of it on the Ouya.
Many thanks sir,
Stumpy

My apologies Buzz you did make a recommendation.. I will follow up with that one.
thanks again sir,
Stumpy

Stumpyndrew1

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 10:55:19 am »

Many thanks sir,
Stumpy

My apologies Buzz you did make a recommendation.. I will follow up with that one.
thanks again sir,
Stumpy

I am currently perusing Amazon now and based on your very clear and concise explanation would you be so kind as to recommend a unit that would work please? I highly respected your answer and will appreciate your recommendation.
Many thanks in advance,
Stumpy