KodiTips Forums

!!

Sign up for a free KodiTips forum account and discuss Kodi tips and tricks. Get help for your Kodi problems and join in the conversation today.

Kodi freezes and VLC does not on Linux

deadpickle

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Kodi freezes and VLC does not on Linux
« on: September 27, 2017, 11:44:26 am »
I have been having this issue for a while. I run an emby server alongside my kodi install on Ubuntu 16.04. I first had the emby add-on so that kodi talks to emby but I started having issues where kodi would freeze while a movie was playing requiring the system to be restarted. To try and fix the issue I tried to disable the emby add-on and install a new nvidia driver for the video card. Unfortunately, neither of these have solved the issue. I have noticed that playing the movies through VLC never causes any issues which disheartens me. Any ideas on how I can figure out what is causing the freezes? Thanks.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
Re: Kodi freezes and VLC does not on Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 11:04:59 pm »
can't say much about the emby setup as ive never used it but i compile on about a half-dozen linux boxes here and would say start with the kodi logs and the crashlog files that it should be writing when it crashes and dumps the ram...

also maybe have a look and make sure that the inputstream.adaptive and the inputstream.rtmp extensions are there... ive got systems ranging from 15.04 up to 17.04 server and know ive run into problems before with those two extensions either not installed or the versions contained in Ubuntu's repos for each particular Ubuntu versions not always using the newest versions of those extensions...

try starting tho with the logs and see if theres any clues...