KodiTips Forums

Upgrading Kodi

troyellis001

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Upgrading Kodi
« on: October 06, 2017, 09:43:05 am »
Hello All, A newbie here and need your help please. Got a new Android box which has Kodi 16.1 and would like to upgrade to 17. Having trouble doing that via Google Play since the remote will not take me right up to My Apps. Right now I dont have a keyboard or wireless mouse. What are my options, please?

TonyH

• +35/-3
  • You have a 50-50 chance if you follow my advice 😂
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading Kodi
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 10:39:14 am »
Here is one way to do it, the video says it's for fire stick but he just uses the downloader app so it will work the same way. Someone else may have a better way also.

sarah

• +10/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 11:18:04 am »
This shows how to update from 17 to 17.4 but is there one showing the most common update from 16.1 to 17.4 please?

hatrix

• +25/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 11:39:09 am »
It should be the same Sara. Either get it from play store or direct from kodi site. If on Amazon device, use the downloader app.

TonyH

• +35/-3
  • You have a 50-50 chance if you follow my advice 😂
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 11:40:34 am »
This shows how to update from 17 to 17.4 but is there one showing the most common update from 16.1 to 17.4 please?

As far as I know it should work from 16.1 to 17.4 because you are downloading the entire file, not just an update. All of your settings will be lost though and you will be starting with a blank fresh copy of krypton 17.4

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 01:04:45 pm »
updating should be should be the same...

If your the comfortable without using the play store to install i would suggest you grab it from Kodi's site as your guaranteed to get the right version...

As well i would make sure to totally remove the original install in this big of a update unless your going to try to install both copies side by side that way your not leaving behind any personalized settings from the version 16, the only reason thats important in this case is because theres things in the settings file that will be wrong because some of the Kodi 17 api tags will differ from the older 16... 

sarah

• +10/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 03:24:56 am »
I've got one box with 17.1 and 2 older boxes with 16.1 and I have a Kodi addons backup on my pendrive.

Till now I haven't found the REAL urgency to upgrade all three boxes to the latest version, and to tell you the truth, I'm actually apprehensive of this process!

I can do lots of things and navigations on my boxes but I'm 'gutless' when it comes to upgrading kodi version! Better to let sleeping dogs lie. Hehe

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 01:06:41 pm »
I always treat a upgrade as more of a whole replacement that way i can use the opportunity to get a fresh start, the downside is having to setup stuff again but thats really not all that big of a deal... trying to do it more as a upgrade where your trying to hold all your old settings and stuff can be more problematic depending on how big the update is...

Really its no different then removing a program from a winblows box but i understand why people are somewhat apprehensive till they've done it once or twice...

Moving up is probably just about mandatory now as most of these types of addons are really working all that well anymore... i just finally updated a older version 15 box as most things finally stopped working on it... Ive still got a Jarvis(16) box going but less and less is working on it these days as well... i just keep them to monitor how much of the old stuff still works... anyone really wanting a decent performing box probably just make the jump to 17.4 now...

With the the Android stuff its always best to go into the Android settings area and then Apps and pick Kodi and 1st stop the program then clean the cache and then the settings which will kill off any settings being held by Android and then finally remove the program after that and do a fresh boot on the box... after that you can re-install the newer version and it should be clean... you can always copy things like your advanced settings files and a few other things to a different spot and restore them later by moving them back into the new install tree... in this case tho be aware that the older advanced settings file will need to have a couple of the tags corrected as they have changed in Krypton and higher as compared to Jarvis or anything older...

I'm sure your up to the task you seemed to have picked up on things pretty good these days... the only other concern i could think of would be just to make sure that the Android platform your on is new enough to support Kodi 17...

flhthemi

• +10/-0
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 10:01:05 am »
I've got one box with 17.1 and 2 older boxes with 16.1 and I have a Kodi addons backup on my pendrive.

Till now I haven't found the REAL urgency to upgrade all three boxes to the latest version, and to tell you the truth, I'm actually apprehensive of this process!

I can do lots of things and navigations on my boxes but I'm 'gutless' when it comes to upgrading kodi version! Better to let sleeping dogs lie. Hehe

You can do it! Just put on your big girl pants and go for it!