KodiTips Forums

Kodi unable to start because of a VCRUNTIME140.DLL missing error

albert

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hello,

All of sudden I started to receive an error while trying to start Kodi.

Current error message "This application has failed to start because VCRUNTIME140.DLL was not found"

I'm running Windows Vista x64 and have updated both the 32 and 64 bit vcruntime140.dll files.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 RC

VC_redist.x64.exe
vc_redist.x86.exe

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685

Copying 32 and 64 bit dll files to their appropriate paths

vcruntime140.dll-44590.zip

https://www.dll-files.com/vcruntime140.dll.html

Copy vcruntime140.dll  to "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\" (32bit)
Copy vcruntime140.dll to "C:\Windows\System32\" (64bit)

I'm not certain of the source of the problem as the dll is exist in those paths. However  there are different versions of this dll file as I checked the file date prior to re-installing another dll file. Installing differently dated VCRUNTIME140.DLL files did not make any difference. When trying to start Kodi an error is produced VCRUNTIME140.DLL cannot be found.

I have tried re-installing Kodi several times as well as uninstalling and then installing fresh.

I'm running Kodi version 17.1 due to the error message that the Vista OS requires a KB971644 update when trying to install Kodi version 17.2 and higher.  I'm not able to install this KB update because it's only available via Windows Update and not available as a single update exe file. I'm not able to get Windows Update to list KB971644.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971644/description-of-the-platform-update-for-windows-server-2008-and-the-pla

I uninstalled another program recently installed. Wondering perhaps if it had something to do with this problem.

Global Mapper 19 (64-bit)
http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-download.php

Other than what noted above I'm uncertain where the problem lies.

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Kodi unable to start because of a VCRUNTIME140.DLL missing error
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 05:16:49 pm »

Vista is a big resource hog upgrade to Win 10, even 8.1 will be a big improvment. 

albert

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 05:56:15 pm »

Vista is a big resource hog upgrade to Win 10, even 8.1 will be a big improvment.

Windows Vista has fewer system resource requirements  than Window 8 and 10 which are designed for newer hardware architectures.

Vista is install on a  Thinkcentre I purchased new back in 2007. I kept it for e-mail, web surfing and streaming video, which it does a good job. The Vista machine works ok for it's intended use.

I'll be looking for another PC in the future designed to work with Windows 8 & 10 however for now this is the PC I'm using as my other PC is in need of repair and also is of  older hardware architectures.

I also have a USB drive with Kodi Linux installed however in order to use it I need to boot separately to the  Linux Ubuntu usb drive.

Most PC manufactures have engineers to figuring out what OSs will run best on their PCs and hardware architectures. Windows 8 and Windows 10 even though can usually be installed on pcs with min. sys requirements aren't really backward compatible to run on many of the older PC hardware architectures even though the cpu, memory may fall under Microsoft's minimum system requirements, which are very generalized. In other words MS is stating certain versions of Windows can install on a PC with their min sys req. but whether it will run ok, run like a hog, etc. they will not make any statements nor provide any documentation.

So If I were to install e.g. Windows 10  on a 10 year old PC with hardware  designed for XP and Vista then it most likely will have problems and run the same as Vista or probably worse, partially due to all of the new features of Windows 8/10, which are really designed for pcs with more recent hardware architectures.

I do have a Windows 8.x upgrade but it doesn't make much sense to use the upgrade on a 10 year old PC.

So for now I'm going only going to address the main topic  of the my post: 

Kodi unable to start because of a VCRUNTIME140.DLL missing error    ????

Why is this so?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:15:34 pm by albert »

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 08:03:25 pm »
more then likely its due to a version mismatch of support files in the bundle that vcruntime was contained in...

its possible something you un-installed may have removed it...

personally i no longer compile anything on MS systems any more as there are so many support files that get changed over time its hard to keep up with them... sometimes the only way to get things right is to install a partitial version of Visual Studio 2015 to restore some files...

also if your on a 64bit machine i would suggest you install both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the dll... a 64bit OS will use either version but sometimes a app wants the 32bit version even tho the os is 64...

as far as MS upgrades go... Vista really was crap as it was a half way step up from Xp which Win 7 fixed and is way better... as far as Win8 and Win 10 goes its the same thing... Win8 is nothing more then Win7 with MS attempt at changing the gui over to match up with their tablet junk and Windows 10 was the final fix...

Personally if I was building or reinstalling windows on any machine it would be Windows 7 64 Ultimate before running anything else,  but depending on the appz you want it seems Windows 10 is being pushed on to everyone... i would never run Win 8 tho as its one of the worst MS ever created... Windows 10 has become the king of bloatware and has so much shit running in the background you need to spend some time learning how to kill a lot of the junk you don't need... ever since sram got so cheap and drives as big as there getting MS has thrown everything including the kitchen sink into Win10... once you clean it up its ok... but older hardware is better off with Win7 in 64bit and at least pro or ulitmate...

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:43:28 pm »
There's a ISO of Windows 7 Ultimate 32/64 bit 'activated'
that has ever so quietly circulated in the IT community.
The funny part is during the windows loader there is a disclaimer:
'This is not a genuine version of windows if you paid for it you should ask for a refund'. ;)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:46:45 pm by kodidave »

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 10:53:45 pm »
Ya finding any version of windows operating systems are pretty easy these days as just about any decent warez forum will have tons of versions around and like most MS software activating it is pretty easy as well... If MS wasn't gouging people so bad on the cost of their os's people wouldn't bother hacking them... just make sure if you do download one to get it from a warez site with a decent rep as theres lots of versions kicking around that have backdoors embedded in them...

albert

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 02:26:50 pm »
 vcruntime140.dll  exists under both paths I think actually it may be the same dll file only under different paths is used 32 or 64 bit.

"C:\Windows\SysWOW64\" (32bit)
"C:\Windows\System32\" (64bit)

Yes I suppose I could try and download an iso and install another OS however whether it's legal or not would be another matter. The legality of  installing an os iso would depend on the OS, the age of the OS may not make any difference depending how various laws are written and interpreted.

My current Vista x64 is a retail licensed copy under my name and address. All my Windows PC's I've owned have had either retail or OEM licensed copies of Windows.

As far as Microsoft's Copyright and Copyright Laws in the US and worldwide. I'm uncertain, many of these copyrights are based on intellectual property laws. If they expire or have a time period similar to US and other countries patents, I'm uncertain. There's alot of companies making a heck of alot of money because their products they have patented. However in the US most patents AFAIK only last 20 years. Such as e.g. patents on GMO foods, etc.

I have registered versions of   Windows dating back many years. I use to own early versions of Windows dating back to 1.x or 2.x Windows OS was usually bundled with a PC along with a software package.

Back in early days of PC's I use to more often run OS/2 instead of a Windows OS which was at one time ahead of Microsoft Windows as a 32-bit multi-tasking OS. I remember installing and running some  of the first versions of OS/2 up to OS/2 Warp 4.0 which was one of the last versions of OS/2 produced.

Eventually because of popularity and Microsoft catching up Windows PC's took over the market. Windows became popular because it's program applications and development became more popular in use all over the world. There was at one time some development going on to produce programs that could run on either OS/2 and Windows which intertwined in theory, concept and technical aspects of coding.

I also use to own several CP/M PCs before the first DOS machines came out such as the IBM XT. DOS which eventually lead to a GUI os actually derived from CP/M, which was at one time very popular as there were no DOS machines yet on the market.

Currently I'm running Kodi from a USB drive Under Linux with  Kodi Linux installed. I find Linux Kodi works at least as well as the Windows version. I haven't had any conflicts or problems with Linux Kodi.

I can remember years ago just before and about the same time the first PCs were being marketed, being connected to a VAX main frame running Unix via a 150 baud modem. An early form of the Internet or Intranet with other people online world wide.

Anyway back to the dll file. It appears  Kodi for some reason is unable to find vcruntime140.dll. I'll need to research this further as there is a reason which must have something to do with the current windows OS. This problem has also been reported under other versions of Windows so I don't think it's only a Vista problem.

Trying to register vcruntime140.dll

Regsvr32  vcruntime140.dll

Produces an error message

dll file was loaded but the entry-point dllregisterserver was not found

I don't know it's supposedly a valid vcruntime140.dll file. I've tried different vcruntime140.dll  with differet dates and file sizes but attempting to execute Kodi results in the same error code.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:51:16 pm by albert »

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 02:41:28 pm »
Ya thats one of the reasons i pretty much stopped using windows for anything i develop on...  theres a few DLL fixit type of sites around but i never really had any luck with them over the years... usually i ended up resorting to installing a basic version of the Visual Studio App and then telling it to install Visual Basic and Visual C... usually in doing so it fixes all the crap...

I suspect theres something corrupted in the Registry, especially inlight of it not letting you register it... there may be remanants of the old dll that maybe got uninstalled with some app... when that happened it may have removed the dll but left behind a tag in the registry thats preventing you from re-installing it... and based on the error your saying when you go to register it theres no entry-point for kodi or anything else requiring it to see and use...

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 02:35:39 pm »

Speaking of CP/M PCs.....

"Gary Kildall never shook the CP/M airplane story in life, and canít shake the barroom brawl story in death"   Dave Farquhar

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 06:47:04 pm »
hehe... now were really dating ourselves... PL/M and CP/M and the Intel 4004 and later 8008 were about where i started and ya the mystery of what really happened to him still goes on to this day... Gates and Allen probably would have never amounted to anything without having Kildall's work to build on top...

most probably have no idea of what the hell im talking about but Kildall truly was a pioneer that never got any recognition for what he started as most pay homage to the 2 Steves and Gates and Allen...

kodidave

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 09:35:15 pm »

It could be as simple as who did and did not sign the NDA.
IBM was desprite after Dorothy Kildall refused to sign the
Non Disclosure Agreement and called in the lawyer, a second monumental mistake.
Jack Sams said Bill Gates signed it immediately.