KodiTips Forums

Is my router blocking Kodi/Covenant?

mjgptdawg

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Is my router blocking Kodi/Covenant?
« on: October 07, 2017, 02:54:52 pm »
I had my firestick working fine a couple months, was able to quickly load up Covenant movies, use iPTV, etc without any issues.  I upgraded to a faster speed internet, and I think somewhere in that transition, I can't get anything to load.  If I click "movies" on Covenant for example, it just shows the hourglass and tries to search forever and never gives you anything to choose.  Same with TV shows, etc. 

I get iPTV that I pay for to work, but suddenly I can't get Covenant, etc to work to find movies and TV shows.

I take my firestick to another person's house, and it loads up fast like normal, so clearly something is going on with either my cable modem or router?

I have a Linksys WRT-1900 router, and I've went into the setup to try to figure out the culprit, but I'm at a loss.  I never changed any setting but suddenly it's not working, so I've basically given up the last couple months as nothing works.

Any ideas what I can do to get Covenant, etc to work?

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
Re: Is my router blocking Kodi/Covenant?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 11:23:13 pm »
what about other plug-ins like Elysium or Bob or whatever else your using... do any of them work any better then Covenant or are they all not working?...

as far as the router goes its posible its blockthing... you can try this... most routers these days will allow you to turn on something called "DMZ Zone" it may be under diferent name depending on the router brand but basically they all have a mode like that which allows you to take 1 ip address in your internal LAN and tell the firewall to not apply any rules to it, thus allowing all trafic going to that ip to pass in both direction basically wide open...

So find out what IP your stick is thats giving you the problem and in the router Turn On the DMZ setting and put the ip of the stick into  the DMZ parameter... if that all of a sudden allows you to get stuff on the box then you know something in the routers rules are restricting the port or type of traffic to that box... once you know what you should be able to correct it in your router...  If the router is the issue then depending on what your meant by a isp upgrade it could be a couple of things...

normally i would be more inclined to think its more of a problem with kodi and covenant but based on you saying everything works fine on your friends internet would lead me to agree with you that its something in your network thats been changed when you upgraded the internet service... new router? or just faster service from the same provider?...

mjgptdawg

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 09:41:27 pm »
Thanks for the response. No other add one work. Live TV works and all other steaming services (ie: Netflix) work fine. Did not change routers, only upgraded to faster speed internet.

I added my IP address to the DMZ setting (saw it in my router settings) and while it is able to load some Covenant files, or other files with different add ons it might take 5 mins and then usually doesn’t load at all. Before it loaded perfectly in <30 secs.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 11:14:29 pm »
Are you connecting using hardwire or wireless?... as i would do all this router checking on a hardwire to establish that the basic network is working...

In light of what you've said so far it seems like all thats changed is the incoming wan link from your isp by going with a faster service... and if you've never changed anything in your router and based on you saying it works ok on your friends setup, leads me to respond with, its either something with the isp and the only other thing i could think of off hand would be to look at the wan selection choices in the router... by wan i mean the incoming connection from your isp... sometimes with some isp's you need to mess with the clone the mac address from the modem in your router settings...

Routers have been known to corrupt at times and some brands are worst then others and if you haven't put in to many custom settings it may be worth checking the firwmare and see where you are as being current and either upgrade it or keep what you got and restore or reload the existing firmware hoping to clean out any garbage...

Linksys makes not bad stuff and i've got a ton of it here and have run into them acting up after they get used for long periods of time especially if your prone to power outs in your area... sometimes a power outage at the right time depending on what its doing can write garbage into a routing rule thats buggered up and the normal firmware maintainance won't clear it cause its corrupted and it doesn't know how to deal with it... reflashing it even with the same software will clean any crap out...

But based on what your saying wouldn't leave much other to look at other then the router or whatever the isp changed when they up'd your service... The easiest way to prove the router or not would be to borrow your buddies and swap it in and see if the problems go away...

What about the modem... did they give you a new one when you upgraded your speed?

As well what about any other devices in your home thats going through the same network? do they work ok?

Ya really got something weird going on their bud...