KodiTips Forums

Covenant, number of HD streams found on different devices

teltuff

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Covenant, number of HD streams found on different devices
« on: October 13, 2017, 01:28:23 pm »
I use Covenant on three Windows 8.1 computers set up on a wired network with VPN software running on each computer. Recently when searching for a TV episode Computer 1 (using a i7 processor) found 11 1080p streams, Computer 2 (using a i3 processor) found 9 1080p streams and Computer 3 (using an i3 processor with hardware identical to Computer 2) found 4 1080p streams. On further investigation searching for several episodes of different TV series Computer 1 always found the most streams, Computer 2 always found fewer streams than Computer 1 and Computer 3 always found fewer streams than Computer 2. Any idea why?

This ranking in the success of finding streams always remains the same. All the computers use Kodi 17.4, all have Covenant (recently updated to version 1.1.21) set up identically using my own TMDB and Alluc API keys and TRAKT and Real-Debrid accounts. I have tried clearing cache and providers and executing the searches over several days, but Computer 1 always finds more streams than Computer 2 and Computer 3 always finds the least number of streams.

If I try the same exercise using Elysium all three computers find the same number of streams. If I try Death Streams all three computers find the same number of 1080p & 720p streams but Computer 1 finds more lower resolution streams.

flhthemi

• +11/-1
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
Re: Covenant, number of HD streams found on different devices
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 10:29:59 am »
Have you tried copying the setting.xml file for Covenant FROM the machine that gives you the most returns from a search to the other 2 machines? i.e. use the same settings.xml file for ALL the Kodi installs.

Might also copy settings.xml files from the good machine to the other machines for:

script.module.urlresolver and script.module.metahandler.

This will eliminate the possibility of the three different installs having different settings that may affect the search returns.

gwilly7

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 10:52:44 am »
You said you had vpn software running on each one, are they connected to the same server?  I would think that could have something to do with it too mabye?

teltuff

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 12:07:30 pm »
Hi flhthemi

Thank you for responding. Your advice about copying the setting.xml file for Covenant from the good machine to the other 2 machines should I be using the settings.xml from :-

C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.covenant\resources
or
C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.covenant

and for the script.module.urlresolver and script.module.metahandler setting.xmls from:-

C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.module.metahandler\resources
(doesn’t seem to be a settings.xml in C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.module.metahandler)

and

C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.module.urlresolver\resources
or
C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.module.urlresolver

or am I looking in entirely the wrong places?

I originally set up my addons on the good machine, Covenant, Elysium, Death Streams etc, then produced backups using Indigo and the Ares wizards, and restored these backups to the other 2 machines to set up their addons exactly as they were on the good machine. So I may have already tried your suggestion. As having used backups wouldn’t the settings.xmls for Covenant, script.module.urlresolver and script.module.metahandler be the same on all 3 computers?
Both of these backups (using factory restore or uninstalling and reinstalling Kodi between attempts) or reinstalling Kodi and installing each addon from scratch produce the same results. Computer 1 always finds more streams than Computer 2 and Computer 3 always finds the least number of streams.

teltuff

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 12:29:21 pm »
You said you had vpn software running on each one, are they connected to the same server?  I would think that could have something to do with it too mabye?

Hi gwilly7,

Thank you for responding. I have tried with and without the VPN software running on each computer in turn and without it on all 3 computers. I have tried connecting using servers in a different country for each computer, all 3 computers using the same country (tried a few different countries) and all 3 computers using the same dedicated ip address. Always the same result Computer 1 always finds more streams than Computer 2 and Computer 3 always finds the least number of streams.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:34:39 pm by teltuff »

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 01:31:49 pm »
two things... 1st if you've got Indigo on any of those machines i would remove it because its not trustable under the current circumstances... same as any wizzard thats running in the background talking to some server that you have no idea of who's controlling it...

Now as far as the difference between machines i suspect its probably in the manner Covenant is making use of the Url Resolvers and subtle differences in the resources between your various machines...  by that i mean the operating system on each of those computers will make memory and resources available to a running application differently from one machine to the next so theres probably some subtle differences there...

Now in light of you saying this behavior seems to be confined to Covenant i would say its probably to do with how Covenant is handling things between it and the Url Resolver... things like timing and network routes can be a big influence but compared to other addons Covenants definately not the same as it originally was...

Recently while researching for Convenant sources over a different issue i came across a couple of active developments of the addon each with subtle differences in some of the their source files... As well i noticed that other addons like Elysium and Bennu seem to be more consistent when running from one instance to the next, so what your describing seems to fit into what i have noticed with Covenant of late as well...

Normally a addon is released by one source and its related coder or coders but since the loss of TVA's site i have noticed theres a bit of weird crap going on with some developments trying to pick up the slack... Personally even tho I have Covenant running on a variety of devices i no longer test on Windows but will say i have noticed the same behaviour on Mac/Linux and my own Linux on Android boxes and have seen process times hop up and down on Covenant when using the Url Resolver and scanning for links... After noticing the multiple developments i stopped trying to isolate the issue as i am beginning to worry about things like trust as its not normal for multiple sources to be pushed to repo's the way i have seen... 

One of the other things i noticed since the issues started was that its sources have now gone back to being like the old TVA way in which some of its dependencies are now part of a common repo (Colossus) addon which 1st seems like a coders lazy way of doing things as well as it makes me think the whole Colossus repo really is just TVA hiding behind another name... 

really... didn't anyone learn anything after all the Kaos created when TVA was taken down and no one could find the common resources package that TVA had everyone hooked on... now lets just repeat the same thing...

Anyways... based on what your talking about i would say its a Covenant issue and unless someones willing to go thru the code and how they are implementing the Url Resolver (which is coded by others) calls and processing them i am not sure you will ever get it totally even all the time...

flhthemi

• +11/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 07:22:06 pm »
Hi flhthemi

Thank you for responding. Your advice about copying the setting.xml file for Covenant from the good machine to the other 2 machines should I be using the settings.xml from :-

or

and for the script.module.urlresolver and script.module.metahandler setting.xmls from:-

C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.module.metahandler\resources
(doesn’t seem to be a settings.xml in C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.module.metahandler)

and

C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.module.urlresolver\resources
or
C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.module.urlresolver

I originally set up my addons on the good machine, Covenant, Elysium, Death Streams etc, [yadda, yadda, yadda]

Use this for Covenant's settings file
C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.covenant\ >settings.xml

Use this for script.module.metahandler's settings file

C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.module.metahandler\ >settings.xml

I would only assume if you were using a backup app, which I NEVER use, it SHOULD/would copy these files. BUT just for the process of elimination, I would manually copy them over.

If I want to backup my Kodi installs I just copy the entire C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\ folder to my NAS or a USB drive of one sort or another.

If I need to test something on a fresh install of Kodi I just rename the folder "Kodi" to "Kodi good" and then start kodi. It builds a new, fresh Kodi folder. When done testing I simply delete the "Kodi" folder and rename "Kodi good" back to "Kodi". Nothing lost, info from testing gained! :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 07:28:18 pm by flhthemi »

teltuff

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 07:22:46 am »
Hi flhthemi

or

and

or

I originally set up my addons on the good machine, Covenant, Elysium, Death Streams etc, [yadda, yadda, yadda]

Use this for Covenant's settings file
C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.covenant\ >settings.xml

Use this for script.module.metahandler's settings file

C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.module.metahandler\ >settings.xml

I would only assume if you were using a backup app, which I NEVER use, it SHOULD/would copy these files. BUT just for the process of elimination, I would manually copy them over.

If I want to backup my Kodi installs I just copy the entire C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\ folder to my NAS or a USB drive of one sort or another.

If I need to test something on a fresh install of Kodi I just rename the folder "Kodi" to "Kodi good" and then start kodi. It builds a new, fresh Kodi folder. When done testing I simply delete the "Kodi" folder and rename "Kodi good" back to "Kodi". Nothing lost, info from testing gained! :)

There are no settings.xml files in the C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.covenant\ or in C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.module.metahandler\ folders as I stated in the post that you have quoted.

So, anyway, I copied and pasted the C:\Users\*******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi folder from the good machine to the worst of the other 2 machines (Computer 3) and it had no effect on the behaviour seen, Computer 1 always finds more streams than Computer 2 and Computer 3 always finds the least number of streams.

This, I guess, has eliminate the possibility of the three different installs having different settings affecting the search returns.

flhthemi

• +11/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:23:34 am »
Exactly. It makes them all have the same settings. If you got kodi from Windows store then the paths I gave you would not be correct. Nor would they be correct for anything other than a Windows installation from a kodi install .exe file.