KodiTips Forums

To Build....or not to Build

dada

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
To Build....or not to Build
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:49:53 am »
Morning guys, and gals. So, I finally added Kodi on a firestick myself. Works great so far. I just downloaded Kodi and about 8 add-ons. What's the advantages or disadvantages of a build? Do I need one?

flhthemi

• +11/-1
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
Re: To Build....or not to Build
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:47:02 am »
My OPINION...

Better off without a build. They usually just introduce problems or addons you'll never use or that don't work.

hatrix

• +27/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 11:17:22 am »
if you know how to install and use addons by yourself, which obviously you do; then there is really no reason to go with a build. It will bloat the kodi install and could slow things down alot.

dada

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:57:41 am »
That's what I wanted to hear....thanks again!

TonyH

• +40/-3
  • You have a 50-50 chance if you follow my advice 😂
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 02:24:57 pm »
Morning guys, and gals. So, I finally added Kodi on a firestick myself. Works great so far. I just downloaded Kodi and about 8 add-ons. What's the advantages or disadvantages of a build? Do I need one?

Youíve got Kodi and 8 addons, Install a new skin and set it up the way you like it and BAM, you just made your own build.
Using a skin to modify not only the background image or images, but the layout of kodi really makes it feel like itís yours and yours alone. If you enjoyed learning how to install Kodi and addons, I would highly recommend playing around with a skin or two. If you donít like what you have done, or messed something up, you can just change back to the default skin. Have fun

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 07:34:27 pm »
I always try to keep things simple and tend to think of builds in the same manner as you would themes and a lot of types of software... where the theme is really just a collection of things put together to create the overall end goal...

builds in this sport really should be left in the confines of a developer or dealer trying to create a uniform install of a bunch of things that i can install on a bunch of boxes that i want to all be the same...

somehow tho socially a ways back builds kinda became the thing for everyone to have... the idea itself is not all that bad if kept in the hands of people that know their way around and can do things on their own but when put into the hands of the unknowing public really is doing nothing more then giving control of your device over to some stranger that created the build in the 1st place... baahaahaa...

Admin

• +29/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 08:15:40 am »
Especially with a Fire Stick, people don't realize how much a build slows down everything in Kodi

dada

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 11:53:50 am »
I always try to keep things simple and tend to think of builds in the same manner as you would themes and a lot of types of software... where the theme is really just a collection of things put together to create the overall end goal...

builds in this sport really should be left in the confines of a developer or dealer trying to create a uniform install of a bunch of things that i can install on a bunch of boxes that i want to all be the same...

somehow tho socially a ways back builds kinda became the thing for everyone to have... the idea itself is not all that bad if kept in the hands of people that know their way around and can do things on their own but when put into the hands of the unknowing public really is doing nothing more then giving control of your device over to some stranger that created the build in the 1st place... baahaahaa...

Yes I've been playing around with the Aeon Nox Silvo skin......learning on the fly. Trying to add my own pics now

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 05:56:11 pm »
Learning to skin is a cool thing to learn and a great way to customize the look of your Kodi installation... its something well worth learning and doing your own skin and distributing it represent no real security threat for anyone else wanting to use it...

Builds and maintainance tools tho these days are generally the main security threats to anyone running Kodi as they can easily contain active code that the user has no idea of it being there let alone what its doing... Thats why builds and sites like TV or Ares are issues for me as unless your a bit of a coder and have access to their servers you really have no idea of whats going on... creating bot nets are something popular with some people motivated by money as there are lots to be made by the owners of botnets by renting them out on a per incident basis to people looking to ddos or use other methods to disrupt someone elses site...

Outside of the Digital rights arguement amongst the real Kodi developers, security has been a growing issue and another reason why the ban on the Un-official addons that you find some many interested in using. the reason being theres really no oversight of any of the coders currently creating and releasing these types of addons where as with the official one theres a fair amount of oversite provided by the team members...

Exodus and a few others have already been exposed to be used as a bot net early in the year responsible for ddos'ng some other servers, so its not like its not happened already...

Anyways skinning is a great thing to learn and share and its realitively safe...

pops

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 09:56:45 pm »
Kodi can be fun to play with.
As mentioned above a Stick is too light for some builds.
I recommend that you learn to build your own build.
That way when an add-on goes down, you can simply delete it and move on.
Glad to see you are having skinning fun.