KodiTips Forums

new real debrid addon?

Vegas5678

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
new real debrid addon?
« on: October 18, 2017, 01:28:45 pm »
Hi All,

Just curious if anyone has tested out the new real debrid addon? Do you like it?

I let my real debrid lapse when all the shut down nonsense was happening as of late.... but, thinking about re-upping it.

Thanks

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
Re: new real debrid addon?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:36:12 pm »
Personally i would advise people with Real Debrid accounts to just stay as they are and continue to do their RD setup from within the various Addon and Url Resolver themselves...

I see no Legitimate reason to let TVA once again install software that has the potential to do who knows what... i think he's just jockeying for a position to find a way to try and reclaim the empire he once ruled but now has his hands kinda tied because of the legal restrictions...

Technically theres really nothing of any great value that he has to offer that cant be found elsewere as hes only supposedly distributing legit stuff... leopards can't change their spots...

TonyH

• +40/-3
  • You have a 50-50 chance if you follow my advice 😂
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:23:56 pm »
Personally i would advise people with Real Debrid accounts to just stay as they are and continue to do their RD setup from within the various Addon and Url Resolver themselves...

I see no Legitimate reason to let TVA once again install software that has the potential to do who knows what... i think he's just jockeying for a position to find a way to try and reclaim the empire he once ruled but now has his hands kinda tied because of the legal restrictions...

Technically theres really nothing of any great value that he has to offer that cant be found elsewere as hes only supposedly distributing legit stuff... leopards can't change their spots...

+1

hatrix

• +27/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 08:23:28 pm »

+1

+2

Vegas5678

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 09:18:46 pm »
Thanks all. I will steer clear!

sarah

• +10/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 04:10:56 am »

+ 3

Admin

• +29/-0
    • View Profile
    • Kodi Tips
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:14:39 am »
Just to play devils advocate, and as someone who's looked at the code himself, The new Real Debrid addon is completely safe. It is also much more lightweight and doesn't slow down your box crazy amounts (Especially Fire TV) with tons of metadata and artwork. I see its application  for those users who want to know that they are streaming 1080p, 5.1, HEVC, etc that addons aren't that great in telling you.

Also for the record, the only thing TVAddons ever installed was Indigo and only to those who had the original addons they replaced installed. If you didn't have those addons, you didn't get Indigo. Was it a PR mistake to push it that way? Probably.. But lets not pretend TVA installed some kind of ransomware that forced Kodi users to pay them or something stupid like that. Without TVA's history, there would literally be NO Kodi addons. You won't find an addon today that doesn't use a dependency or .py file created by TVA.

Buzz Marshall

• +29/-2
  • Puff, Puff, Pass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 11:45:04 am »
Just to play devils advocate, and as someone who's looked at the code himself, The new Real Debrid addon is completely safe. It is also much more lightweight and doesn't slow down your box crazy amounts (Especially Fire TV) with tons of metadata and artwork. I see its application  for those users who want to know that they are streaming 1080p, 5.1, HEVC, etc that addons aren't that great in telling you.

Also for the record, the only thing TVAddons ever installed was Indigo and only to those who had the original addons they replaced installed. If you didn't have those addons, you didn't get Indigo. Was it a PR mistake to push it that way? Probably.. But lets not pretend TVA installed some kind of ransomware that forced Kodi users to pay them or something stupid like that. Without TVA's history, there would literally be NO Kodi addons. You won't find an addon today that doesn't use a dependency or .py file created by TVA.

nothing wrong with playing devils advocate, but to do so one really needs to know and have been part of that history...

Anything thats adding active code and talking back to a home server has the potential to be a security problem and at the very least have its code changed on the fly into something worse... whether or not they do that comes down to a trust issue and personally based on the history of TVA its not worth the risk for the gains in this case...

As for the record statement goes... its proven history that he was involved in the Exodus botnet fiasco at least at the level of knowingly allowing and providing the platform that distributed the infected copy to unsuspecting users, and yes he did try and attract as many of the coders writing code to allow the streaming of whats been debated as illegal now for the last few years so there was a fair amount of the more in demand Addons coming out of there which gave him the upper hand in the competition of "King of the Hill" with other sites like Super Repo... so i will give him that, but the REAL legacy he did leave because of TVA's monetary interests and attempts at creating revenue streams that had a hand in enabling all the dealers using TVA's site and Indigo with their "FREE TV" claims to the point it forced the providers to re-act bringing us to the current position were are in... TVA was a cash machine and Ya he did serve the public by providing a home for a lot of great Addons but that was just a method to improve his bottom line while outdoing Super Repo and had nothing to with the welfare of the people as so many mis-informed seem to think... it was about making money plain and simple... good people over there left over the years because of a variety of disagreements on things with some never to be seen again while others just went private and do their own thing... thats the Legacy of TVA and there has never been another site in this scene thats done that...

but your either incredibly naive or have a hidden agenda in trying to protect his reputation by making such bogus statements like "there would literally be NO Kodi addons" without him or not "find an addon today that doesn't use a dependancy or .py file by TVA" man thats insulting to a lot of people... in fact some of what your talking about actually came from coders that had written some of those dependancy's and Addons on their own out in the public before he co-erced them to eventually move to TVA's platform so TVA had absolutely no hand in creating or even providing them at that point, you really should do your research and do it from both sides of the arguement... i was around long before he ever was and that place over the years has generated so many love-hate arguements amongst people and the tactics he used at times trying to get some of the more popular coders to leave their own personal distribution points when things changed a few years back and the Team was forced to start disassociating themselves from Addons seen to be violating the DCMA...  That is something i will give him credit for...

Anyways theres no point getting any deeper into the subject as its a waste of time and its history, but i will say as a former member/frequenter of both the original and till recent site that I disagree with pretty much everything you have said about TVA above and that i find it grossly Dis-Respectful to all of the other coders, contributors and Team members that created a project that he him self had absolutely NO part in creating other then using it to exploit for his own monetary gains... and theres tons of python code out there these days used that has absolutely NOTHING to do with him,  that statement is just typical of the arrogance he has cultivated in his supporters... but truly its Dis-Respectful of the real people responsible for the creation and growth of whats probably become the single best media player out in the open source scene and your statements are why some coders refuse to now release code to the public and become part of a rediculous discussion as this is now becoming...

All things aside as i make no bones in my thoughts about TVA or any repo operating in that manner and this supposedly being a help site as implied by the name I felt it was only responsible to post that i really see no gains in the Addon based on what it actually the user and based on established history of the source site and the potential risk that people should stop and think and not just rush to install everything that comes out which is unfortunately happens with a lot of people when new things pop out... after all would you keep buying your cars from some dealer that sold you a lemon and then tried to entice you back by giving you a free tank of gas if you once again bought your next car from them?

I installed it and used it and see absolutely NO benefits from using it as anything that was already working with RD works just as well in the normal manner without out it, but i will defer to you on the Firestick setup as i don't use it...

Sorry for the argumentative tone, but theres no way i could sit and let pass some of those statements regarding what TVA has given us as they are totally untrue and i truly hope they come from just being naive and repeating things told to you by others with hidden motives... BUT its not right that new users trying to learn or get answers to blindly redirect they gratitude to him and away from the real people responsible for giving KODI and ALL of the various code projects to the public as they are the real heros and why we are all here for in the 1st place...

i bear no ill-will and have no problem with anyone wanting to play "the devils advocate" but lets get it right if you want to present the opposite side of the coin and not trash the wide variety of good people contributing by putting TVA up on a pedestal by giving him to much credit...

as well anyone that actually knows who i am knows what i am about and that i know what i am talking about on the subject because i was here before them and i'll be here long after he's gone because he's found another money machine...

Now some food for thought...

i truly regret things have become the way they are as there are things that are privately being developed that would solve a lot of the streaming issues people currently have and help fix in moving forward but in light of what the scene has become but are kept private out of necessity... people should serious start to look at trying to start conversations on a few new approaches to the subject of servers and resolvers as a lot of things on the net have changed since the established approaches were created... seems like people have stalled out by trying to keep patching the old methods then really finding a better approach... a case in point to think about is why are so many depending on a ton of different Addons to basically pull media from the same sources in a lot of cases? (sorry don't mean anything against any of the addon coders) but people keep flogging the same dead horse... it would be much more practical to have One Addon integrated tighter into Kodi itself with a more open api to allow the removal and insertion of media sources as well as going into Kodi's core code and creating a much better way of handling stream buffering... these are things that Kodi itself will never do as it was designed to be open project and what i am talking about is counter to that, but in-light of the type of Addons people are looking for the answers to a lot of the issues really lie in going in this direction because the Team can never openly support these types of developments...  food for thought?