KodiTips Forums

Multiple Kodi Syncing?

greg4168

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Multiple Kodi Syncing?
« on: June 23, 2017, 08:11:16 am »
I have five boxes running Kodi in my house and think it'd be great if there was some way to network them together so if I make a change (install an add-on, configure something, etc.) on one it replicates to the others.  I've seen some attempts to script something like that in the past but nothing recently.  Has anyone spent time doing that and come up with a good way to keep multiple Kodi's in sync?

Thanks

TonyH

• +28/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Kodi Syncing?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 06:59:45 pm »
I have not heard of anything like that, but you could make your own build/wizard and just update the build, then install the new build on the other devices. Just a thought

crypt51

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 07:49:23 pm »
I have 4 android boxes with the Shield TV as my main device.  I've installed ftp server on all the boxes and downloaded my kodi directory from the Shield to my NAS.  Then whenever I need do an update I download the ftp from the Shield to the NAS and then again from the NAS to the other android boxes.  Not exactly a one click solution but I do it in the background and all the boxes are in sync.

crypt51

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 12:15:02 pm »
I have 4 android boxes with the Shield TV as my main device.  I've installed ftp server on all the boxes and downloaded my kodi directory from the Shield to my NAS.  Then whenever I need do an update I download the ftp from the Shield to the NAS and then again from the NAS to the other android boxes.  Not exactly a one click solution but I do it in the background and all the boxes are in sync.

Just a quick update, if you do decide on the ftp route, use WinSCP as the client as it has a "synchronize" option that is MUCH faster than straight ftp.

Buzz Marshall

• +16/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:20:51 pm »
you need to create a plug-in that would be installed on each machine and have it monitor which ever machine you choose to keep your changes on...

i know thats kinda simplified but its not really that much different then creating one common db for media on one machine and having all the others draw their artwork and media info from it... kodi already has that ability using mysqld for media so what your proposing isn't all that far off...

if the plug-in watches for version increases from the updated machine it wouldn't be all that difficult to create and run a daemon type service on the main machine that can push updates to the other boxes...

you should be able to glean enough basic info from normal plug-ins to see how they already update themselves to be able to create a localized system to accomplish what your wanting...

how involved it is will depend on the hardware your running on and what os your using... particularly the server part on the machine your going to update...

i use linux so creating a server daemon wasn't to bad as i do all my edits on it and have it push any updates to all my boxes both locally and over the open net... all my boxes run my own linux os and kodi so i dont know whats involved in doing it on Android...

really its not much different then what tva was doing with its system to keep their downstream plugins running on endusers boxes updated... you just need to look at localizing things which should somewhat simplify things... not sure if anyones got access to their sources but anyone someone into python should be able to reverse engineer what they were doing and create something for their own use...

github sources may help give you some ideas as well...