KodiTips Forums

More than One Kodi Install on Android Box?

roztom

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
More than One Kodi Install on Android Box?
« on: November 10, 2017, 07:33:15 am »
I have a Large build which works well and has a ton of add-ons which has exposed me to many I would not have known about. However If I customize it when it updates it overwrites everything.

I would like to run my own Kodi set up using just the add-ons I like and also customize the skin and backgrounds, etc.

I have a H96+ running 17.5 and Android 7.1.

Can I install another instance of Kodi? If so, How would I set it up ?

Tx for your help.

flhthemi

• +11/-1
  • FLHT = Harley Davidson HEMI = Dodge Challenger SRT
    • View Profile
Re: More than One Kodi Install on Android Box?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 08:30:41 am »

There are a couple of ways, that I know of, to do this with Android. You won't need a separate install of Kodi to do this. Just install it once. Then do either of the below.

Method 1) http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Change_data_location_for_Android

This method (might) require you to change the location to an external sdcard!

Change the name of the file in root of sdcard FROM: xbmc_env.properties TO: Anything else i.e. you could use xbmc_env.txt Doing this will hide it from Kodi at boot and Kodi will look in the normal place for the files it needs. When you want to run your other install rename the file properly. Basically switch names then start Kodi.

OR

Method 2) Simply rename (Folder 1) org.xbmc.kodi folder to anything else then start kodi and it will create that folder again (Folder 2) with nothing in it except what comes with Kodi fresh/out of the box. Then when you want to switch give the folder (Folder 2) another name and rename the (Folder 1) back to what it should be. Confusing I know but it will work.

Folder 1 - Normal kodi install /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi rename to anything else then start Kodi

Folder 2 - A new fresh install with the proper name org.xbmc.kodi

OR

Method 3) Copy all the repositories you want to use from your present addons folder to a safe place. (You may even want to backup the entire org.xbmc.kodi to a safe place just incase) Uninstall Kodi. Install Kodi again. Start Kodi wait a few minutes and stop Kodi. Go to the folder you made in a safe place and copy the repositories you wanted to keep into the new addons folder. Now start kodi. Make sure you have Unknown Sources turned on in Settings>Add-ons. Open Kodi Addon manager, select My add-ons, Add-on Repository and enable ALL your repositories. Then install the addons you want from the now working repositories.

Now, there might be other ways but this is what I know will work.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:46:19 am by flhthemi »

K4Me

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 08:34:24 am »
Use a file manager, navigate to /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/ and rename .kodi to .kodi-something. When Kodi is opened it will be a clean empty instance where you can customize a new build.

Want to go back? Rename .kodi to .kodi-somethingelse and rename .kodi-something to .kodi. You can have as many of these "saved/renamed" version as storage space permits.

roztom

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 08:57:43 am »
Use a file manager, navigate to /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/ and rename .kodi to .kodi-something. When Kodi is opened it will be a clean empty instance where you can customize a new build.

Want to go back? Rename .kodi to .kodi-somethingelse and rename .kodi-something to .kodi. You can have as many of these "saved/renamed" version as storage space permits.

Tx..Is there any way for me to have a Kodi 1 and Kodi2 on my HOme page? Would I be able to have to installs with different named folders/directorys without having to switch them internally? Tx

hatrix

• +27/-0
  • I'm the captain now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:16:55 am »
an even easier way would be to just install SPMC. it can be installed aside kodi.

roztom

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 08:38:19 am »
Tx for all your suggestions.

Is it possible to Run a seperate Install of Kodi 17.5 off of a USB Thumb Drive on my Android Box so I can select which Install /Build Runs? Could I put a link on the Android HOme Screen for each Kodi Install?

I really need simple - if possible.  Tx